Which tang?

• Total voters

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning! I’m playing hooky from work today. Head hurts so hanging with the pups and fish. They don’t mind :) here’s some spam on the progress at work. Still have to clean the tile and do some finishing but it looks ok. We are almost through with this place. I wish it would hurry. Hubbs wants to start building buildings. That will be fun cause I can hide inside lol. This stuff kills my hands but I like the end results.
E6D122B1-2F06-4B64-9CAA-C391A7403E8B.jpeg
A6ADA55A-165E-451C-8F5A-F25D88BA0CCA.jpeg
F4F40B63-A888-44F3-A6E8-D43B208317B7.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
morning everyone! anyone know if im able to keep rodi mixing and the system outside? I would keep it covered 100% of the time. im going to dig into it but let me know if you have any more info

My guess is that in Florida temperature swings might be an issue to address?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
morning everyone! anyone know if im able to keep rodi mixing and the system outside? I would keep it covered 100% of the time. im going to dig into it but let me know if you have any more info
That’s a good question and I think it would be something I need to look into as well. I have the RO Buddie and it’s attached to the garden hose lol. But the unit is inside with the tubing hung out my window. The unit is sitting by my wall.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people that keep their system in one of those plastic sheds outside. Just need to get the water to the right temp before mixing or adding to the tank.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that in Florida temperature swings might be an issue to address?
the only temp swings is super hot and hot as h**l
after some readings I read that I can be done. just paint the containers and cover them. only problem I would have to bring water inside to cool before adding to tank. but I would have it right outside my window and I have a hose there too to hookup RODI

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people that keep their system in one of those plastic sheds outside. Just need to get the water to the right temp before mixing or adding to the tank.
so I can't mix at 85F. my pool stays cool but its open top. I would like to avoid the sheds because they get SUPER HOT

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I could get away with a cheap 1 hp or even a 1/3hp chiller for $200 or so and that should do the job.
would I need to keep the water at 78 at all times or just when mixing and adding to the tank?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no proof ,but i would say no ;)

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no proof ,but i would say no ;)
I just read of someone in Cali who's done it for a few years.

"The location does get some sun. There is a tree providing shade right over it, but it’s not covered all the time. I think the shelving cover does help. I painted the NSW container black and left a strip unpainted so I can see the water level. I have never seen any algae growing in the RODI storage container, but I do get a small amount of green in the chloramine monster (probably because it’s not covered as well, and there is probably more stuff for the algae to grow with in it). But beggars can’t be choosers. If you’re looking for an outdoor setup, it can definitely be done."
direct quote
and he's running 65g mixing. I would probably be 30 at max

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I could get away with a cheap 1 hp or even a 1/3hp chiller for $200 or so and that should do the job.
would I need to keep the water at 78 at all times or just when mixing and adding to the tank?
nope not worth it,get shut offs for all three hoses,make buckets stack em,remove ro and turn all valves off ,will keep unit primed and full:)

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope not worth it,get shut offs for all three hoses,make buckets stack em,remove ro and turn all valves off ,will keep unit primed and full:)
I just don't have a ton of room to keep buckets. I have them scattered across the house and mammas been giving me the look:eek:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you noticed any ill effects?
Other than the two hurricanes, no. I had just moved it outside a few weeks before Laura and only did a few water changes and top offs before all heck broke loose. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back