Status
Not open for further replies.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you want to play samantics sure. All I'm saying is every time I go to my local reef stores (which there are half a dozen) if they don't have anything else they have euphyllia and the range of euphyllia colors don't vary like acros and zoas. Takes very little to maintain them. Even a novice can buy an "exotic" euphyllia and grow heads or a monster head. Its the first coral I ever had 15 years ago, I knew virtually nothing, it grew and grew. I see WAY more now than then and they were cheap then. How exotic can they be. Every beginner wants a cheap, wavy in the flow, coral that's easy to keep. Euphyllia is about #1 for that.
Having to go to a shop that sells them and not being able (practically, if not legally) to just go outside and pick one up from nature where you live is what makes it exotic. I think your argument loses sight a bit of what we do here. We keep tropical animals in our homes and get to look at tiny reefs instead of paying big money to go to the actual reefs for a few moments. That's plenty exotic.

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Since Indo opened up it’s flooded with “Rare” torches. People think they are rare cause Indo was closed down so long they are not used to seeing them. If you have been in the game long enough these HG gold Indo torches were $150-200 for a huge colony and Aussie Torches were the ones fetching the larger $. At least that’s how it was for me in Northern California 10+ years ago.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP’s point has been lost along the way. The post wasn’t complaining about prices in general. It was complaining about people who doctor images and by doing so try to get a higher price for the piece. If the picture truly represents the piece, then the buyer can decide if the price is worth it. If the piece in actuality is nothing like the picture, then the buyer is being ripped off.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP’s point has been lost along the way. The post wasn’t complaining about prices in general. It was complaining about people who doctor images and by doing so try to get a higher price for the piece. If the picture truly represents the piece, then the buyer can decide if the price is worth it. If the piece in actuality is nothing like the picture, then the buyer is being ripped off.
Oh, I definitely misinterpreted this by reading replies. That's definitely different.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal favorite:

PS: Yes, I know Adam wouldn’t really sell this.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a few responding need to go read the original post. And maybe the title...it's not about prices. It's lying about the product by doctoring photos that's the issue, and topic. The lamborghini/yugo one is funny. Would you be ok with someone trying to sell you a yugo that they SAY is a lambo? Thought not.

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a pretty nice dragon soul for $125. I eventually do want to frag and sell it but I don’t want to rip anyone off. I’m only 14 and have been doing this hobby for a little less than a year and love it, I want to kind of make a small type of buisness or at least sustain the hobby by selling coral. What would you pay for something like this? this is under an orange lense but with the way I took it it looks identical to if your looking at it regularly. Would the price I got it for be a good price to sell it? Thanks for your feedback! I’ve been following this thread and I see those torches a lot on bigger websites, 2000 for a torch or anemone that is obviously photoshopped. Oh well, I’m not buying it!

Attachments

• IMG_3808.MOV
    11.6 MB
  • 4FC0D5FA-B99D-432B-827B-E186A6DBFF3A.jpeg
    4FC0D5FA-B99D-432B-827B-E186A6DBFF3A.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 736B66AF-A968-490D-9525-BA740E51E1C2.jpeg
    736B66AF-A968-490D-9525-BA740E51E1C2.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 37

reeferZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one. There are some really special pieces out there, with little supply and lots of demand. Euphyllia in general has become super pricey, but atleast you know what your getting with the more common frogspawns/hammers. And it is hard to take accurate pictures under blues. As a consumer, I pretty much know what I'm looking for and I'll ask for more info if im not comfortable. There is an acceptable level of misrepresentation (more blues for the pop), but photo editing is where i draw the line.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has some pretty funny comments. I understand it's thought provoking but some people have totally missed the point of the thread.

Is not about high prices for high end coral.
It's about highway robbery by those who manipulate pictures to trick people into thinking they are buying something that does not reflect reality.
Heavily altered color manipulation and photoshop.
Selling an average coral as if it's something extra special but...
It's not.
It's just an extra special picture of an average run of the mill coral being sold to unknowing, unsuspecting usually new refers.

It's heartbreaking to see this amongst ourselves here on R2R.

This forum is supposed to be about helping fellow reefers. Especially new reefers but sadly...

Not everyone has honor and integrity.

That's what this thread is about.
Not an anti capitalism post.
It's not political. Not economical.

It's ethical.

Last edited:

Pauley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d agree with that. Unfortunately for the newer reefers, I think you just have to learn through experience who “enhances” their photos. There have been numerous R2R threads over the years on sellers doctoring photos, and many of the same peeps are still around doing it. FWIW, I try to buy corals in person whenever possible, and make small purchases from online sellers until I trust them. Paying hundreds for a frag based on a photo from a seller I don‘t know is a little too risky for me. Unscrupulous is just how this hobby has become. Just assume zero consumer protection.
On a positive note (since someone posted Fairy Food) Adam from Battlecorals is about the most honest and accurate vendor I’ve ever dealt with. Too bad he doesn’t have torches. :D

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my 1st Battlebox!

I did not even really look at the pics. I went mostly off reputation.
I was able to communicate with Adam very easily. He answered all my questions and was a "Real Dude".

I sent him pics of my reef and current corals and asked if he could use his best judgement to fill in the blanks in my reef with color and anything I might be lacking in.

I put my trust and faith in him based on the MANY MANY MANY positive reviews he has received here on R2R and our conversations.

My Battlebox arrives today and I have no doubt I will be very happy with it.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
State of the world, especially in this country. Kinda makes you wonder, how many more decades have to pass before the human race gets it through their heads ... capitalism is a humanity FAIL.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again.

Not about politics.
Not about capitalism
Not about anti-capitalism

It's about unscrupulous sellers and what amounts to fraud and taking unfair advantage of people through deception.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just ordered my 1st Battlebox!

I did not even really look at the pics. I went mostly off reputation.
I was able to communicate with Adam very easily. He answered all my questions and was a "Real Dude".

I sent him pics of my reef and current corals and asked if he could use his best judgement to fill in the blanks in my reef with color and anything I might be lacking in.

I put my trust and faith in him based on the MANY MANY MANY positive reviews he has received here on R2R and our conversations.

My Battlebox arrives today and I have no doubt I will be very happy with it.
I'm sure you will be! Adam is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back