The "money making tank" (or store credit)

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So back when I used to keep freshwater, there was this idea of the "money making tank", basically a tank that would pay for itself and then some. Aquarium Coop suggested a fancy guppies, cherry shrimp, and stem plant tank, the idea being that even if the inhabitants don't sell for huge sums of money, they all reproduce quickly and most fish stores will buy them/give credit as they sell pretty well. . .

Is there a saltwater equivalent?

If you were to try setting up a single tank with the only goals of paying your costs and making a little extra (cash or credit), what would you do?

I guess my answer would be: Zoa/softy tank, and a big refugium for growing various "sellable" macros. . .

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a side business and sell at frag swaps in my area. People in my area mostly look for cheap $10-$20 frags, but some are also looking for show pieces. A little variety helps, but I suggest only doing it if you like having a lot of coral. They don't all sell, and they keep growing. It ends up being a wash for me anyway after water, salt, equipment, electricity, heating, and transportation costs are factored in. But I like doing it and meeting the reefers.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back