The Mount Olympfish diaries

AlyciaMarieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I guess I better introduce myself. I'm Alycia-Marie, revhtree's daughter. My dad has had tanks for as long as I can remember, but I've never been that interested in learning about the tanks and their residents until recently. I was always a little too young to know or care about this whole world of beauty. But I'm now 18, I have plenty of graduation money to get me started, and I'm ready to get my hands dirty! I'm starting from the ground up, so I'm ready to receive any and all tips and tricks you have to offer this newbie!

Here is what I have going on:

I'm in the process of searching all over the internet for a great and affordable 12-20 gallon. I'm going blindly into all of this, so I would love to hear some of your suggestions on what you think would be a good tank to start with. Help a girl out!

Progress updates to come!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My advice to her was to look at a RedSea Max Nano (20g) complete set up.

I'm beyond thrilled that she is interested! :)

OP
OP
AlyciaMarieee

AlyciaMarieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stole some rock from Rev's stash and got it cycling.

IMG_9632.JPG

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WELCOME!!
the Reefers are awesome too. i LOVE my 450. while not fully "turn key" (just add water and go) they helped me get a better understanding of the other components that are necessities in building a solid system.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She's still undecided as far as a nano and stand. Any more input?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honesty when I had my nano tanks, I choose the AIO, something I learned to regret.

With the red sea tanks, you are able to customize them a bit more, which is best in the long run for the livestock, ecosystem and just plain fun.

Did someone say customized reef savvy nano????

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't offer anything better than your suggestion of a Red Sea, Rev ... not if AliciaMarie wants to hit the ground running, as it were. That's a real nice package.

'Course, if she wants to exercise her carpentry and glass-drilling skills . . .

~Bruce

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, you gotta be the popcorn maker!

I'll vote for Red Sea nano, but the reefer setup if possible. I haven't seen too many builds for the Max nanos, so I'm not too sure what kind of equipment is compatible. They do look like the nicest AIO on the market though.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the IM 25 Fusion lagoon?

^^^ I am looking at this tank too.

Great for a look down tank, clams, acropora, anemones and fish look fantastic in shallow tanks. Maintenance is so much easier, little tank, smaller lighting fixture, skimmer.....

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew it could be so difficult.
Just keep in mind that it's your first tank - not your only tank. Odds are high that if it's a pre-packaged tank, it will support life and give you a chance to learn and enjoy. Try not to stress out over the choice TOO much... ;-)

Have fun!

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congratulations @revhtree ! Although my daughter is not a teenager yet, we share the hobby together. It is such a rewarding experience to have her around with me doing water changes and spraying off nasty filter socks or skimmer cups.

I love hearing her questions no matter how simple or complicated. She's good company when I'm doing water tests, although the hates the Hanna Checker because she doesn't get to count the reagent drops anymore and watch for it to change colors [emoji23][emoji23]. If she only knew...

My advice would be to get the complete Red Sea Nano setup as well! Also wait until @revtree has mixed his saltwater and heated it for his water change before you do YOUR water change[emoji13]

OP
OP
AlyciaMarieee

AlyciaMarieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to go ahead and cancel my previous tank order and go with the Red Sea max nano complete system. I've been eyeballing that Red Sea tank for almost 3 weeks. It's such a nice tank, and I just couldn't let it go. You should have seen my dad and I dancing in the kitchen when I ordered the Red Sea tank. Lol. Now the waiting game starts... waiting for the email that says it's been shipped. Haha.

IMG_9654.PNG

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to lie, this makes me smile! the nuvo is a cool tank, but red sea is really on top of their game with their reefers! you're going to LOVE it. just be careful, the low iron glass does scratch easier!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back