The mystery of the Memorial Day Tomini Tang...

Bkatz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We came home from our lake house this afternoon to find our Tomini Tang finless, dead, and stuck to our mp40. This fish was in perfect health leaving Friday. 3 years established in the tank, fat, happy, and as far as I've always seen, un-bullied. The missinging top and bottom fins (that should be orange, were stripped to spines. Do you think this fish was bullied (in 48 hours) to death?

All other fish acting normal, no signs of disease or infection. Everyone eating and water parameters in check. Only change in the last 2 weeks was I had started to dose NOPOX. Let's hear everyone's theories...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini got high on NOPox and drifted onto the MP40 and became stuck there. The other fishes tried pulling it off by the orange fins but the Tomini wouldn't budge.

pleased benedict cumberbatch GIF by BBC

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We came home from our lake house this afternoon to find our Tomini Tang finless, dead, and stuck to our mp40. This fish was in perfect health leaving Friday. 3 years established in the tank, fat, happy, and as far as I've always seen, un-bullied. The missinging top and bottom fins (that should be orange, were stripped to spines. Do you think this fish was bullied (in 48 hours) to death?

All other fish acting normal, no signs of disease or infection. Everyone eating and water parameters in check. Only change in the last 2 weeks was I had started to dose NOPOX. Let's hear everyone's theories...
I'm sorry, that's awful. :(

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How big was the tomini when you got him? It could’ve been old age and the CUC started to munch on the body.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was the tomini when you got him? It could’ve been old age and the CUC started to munch on the body.
That’s my thoughts it has died then other fish have a nibble and also clean up crew . I had a fish die and before I seen it the others had eaten some of it

OP
OP
Bkatz1

Bkatz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tomini was 4" and I figured the fin loss must have been from the other fish. No CUC in thos tank. FOWLR- by the time I got him his fins were so gone he looked like a Naso tang. I'm still kicking myself for not taking a picture.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tomini was 4" and I figured the fin loss must have been from the other fish. No CUC in thos tank. FOWLR- by the time I got him his fins were so gone he looked like a Naso tang. I'm still kicking myself for not taking a picture.
It sounds as though it was old age as it takes ages to get a 4” fish of most Bristletooth species.
I’ve seen other fish predating on dead fish or even just dying fish, it’s the circle of life unfortunately.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds as though it was old age as it takes ages to get a 4” fish of most Bristletooth species.
I’ve seen other fish predating on dead fish or even just dying fish, it’s the circle of life unfortunately.
How long do tomini live?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, mine is prolly only like a year old but I swear he's about 4". Since I got him a few months ago he's grown fast prolly doubled in size.
I don’t have a tomini but I have a binotatus and in the 3 years I’ve had him he’s really been a slow grower and is only 3.5” currently.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back