The Peninsula Tank Discussion Thread – A Resource – Maybe!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m a sucker for a peninsula tank. I’m seeing more and more pop up here in the intro threads and members tank section. So, I thought I’d start this thread as a reference for anyone considering going the peninsula route. Regardless of what you read here, assuming it gets any traction, I truly believe you won’t regret going for a three-sided monster. #Peninsula

I would really like to see any of my fellow R2R peninsula (P-Tank) owners comment in this thread, sharing their experiences, both good and bad, and more importantly, sharing pictures. Heck, we all love pictures. Let’s try to make this a reference thread for current owners and those contemplating a peninsula. I’ll start us off and see where this takes us. In no way do I consider myself an expert at anything related to this hobby. As I like to joke, I know enough to be dangerous. But I’ll share my thoughts in hopes it will be a catalyst for others.

Obviously, you have to have the space for a P-Tank. I find them most appealing when they are used in such a way to blend into a space. We personally use ours as a room divider between our dining area and family room. To me anyway, they just look better if it appears to be a natural fit and not just a tank jutting out from a wall. But let’s face it, they’re still cool looking regardless of where they are.

Really won’t get into the mechanics and set up because every situation is different. I’m in Florida, on a slab, and it’s on an exterior wall. So, no basement to plumb to and no way to create a fish room. In my case everything has to be contained in the cabinet. For more specific details on my system, feel free to check out my build thread if you are so inclined.

One big challenge is the aquascape. You now have a tank visible from three sides (presumably two long sides and one short end) and you’ll want it to look good from all three. A traditional wall of rock doesn’t really work well. You really must play with it until you find the right design. It goes without saying that it is also dependent on what you plan to keep in the tank. If a FOWLR, maybe not as important. If reef, you must keep coral type and placement in mind. I guess that’s not really any different than a non-P-Tank, but it should look good from all three sides.

Next (or maybe even first) major challenge is flow. Depending on the size, it can be difficult to get flow to the other end of the tank. Yet another thing to think about when you’re doing your aquascape. I originally wanted to do so without any flow devices on the viewable end of the P-Tank. Well, I quickly discovered that wasn’t going to happen. Although I started with a very poorly designed closed loop (removed not long after I started), if I had to do it again, I would design it much differently and go that route, especially with the advancement of pumps over the last 7 years. So I ended up with a pump on the viewable end. Not a deal breaker but I'd prefer not to have it there.

Although I don’t believe lighting is really any more challenging, making the lighting look nice can be a little tricky given your lights are protruding into your room. So, keep that in mind when planning. Can you hang the lights from the ceiling? In my case, I just ended up building a canopy incorporated into the stand design. You may have to get creative so it fits with the decor of your space.

Last thing I’ll mention is accessibility. If you are lucky enough to have a fish room or basement you can utilize then great and I’m jealous. But since everything had to be self-contained, I wanted to be able to access it from both sides. I actually used panels instead of doors so I can access from both sides when needed. As we all know, there can be a lot of equipment you end up with to manage the tank. Again, you have the same issues with a non-P-Tank but just keep it in mind for the space you’re putting the tank.

This is the tip of the iceberg but I’m hoping it’s a start. I would love for fellow P-Tank owners to make a quick comment, share a picture or two, and then provide a link to their build thread. If this gets any traction, it could be a great resource for folks currently running a P-Tank and having challenges or for folks considering a P-Tank and yet to face them. Life is full of should-of-could-of-would-have moments. Let's see if we can help alleviate that for someone going the P-Tank route.

In closing, here is a quick walk-around mine. These are a little old, but you’ll get the idea. I’ve personally seen numerous P-Tank threads that I’m hoping join the party!

Happy Reefing, whether a peninsula or not!!!

DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! I'm planning a peninsula build, but not up against a wall. I'm going to have it in the middle of them room. Plumbed down into the basement. Your tank is an inspiration! What are the dimensions?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! I'm planning a peninsula build, but not up against a wall. I'm going to have it in the middle of them room. Plumbed down into the basement. Your tank is an inspiration! What are the dimensions?

It's just a standard 120g, 4'x2'x2'.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year in, absolutely smitten in love with peninsula, wouldn't have it any other way. It divides living room couches with dining area table. Its like having 3 different tanks, you notice different things from each side. Having one side behind a couch is really nice, during commercials you can turn around and watch "tank tv".

One challenge is striking a balance between good flow at the glass end vs making it look ugly with pumps.

20200226_171314.jpg

20200226_171328.jpg

20200226_172017.jpg

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dbl Great write up, you touch on just about everything someone stepping into the peninsula world should either have a plan for or be aware of. I will add that because of the nature of peninsula tanks and how they come off the walls, what is underneath them structurally is just as if not more important than when you consider placement of a standard tank. Because peninsulas project there weight towards the center of a room (typically the weakest point in a floor). Special attention should be paid to what's underneath it. My peninsula ending up running parallel to the floor joists beneath it so I ended up doubling up the 3 joists it sits on.

My tank is still dry due to a desire to have some of the most expensive equipment out there as well as other projects that need completing before it can get up and running so I'll post a dry tank picture for now...

20191114_190949.jpg

20190527_144620.jpg

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year in, absolutely smitten in love with peninsula, wouldn't have it any other way. It divides living room couches with dining area table. Its like having 3 different tanks, you notice different things from each side. Having one side behind a couch is really nice, during commercials you can turn around and watch "tank tv".

One challenge is striking a balance between good flow at the glass end vs making it look ugly with pumps.

20200226_171314.jpg

20200226_171328.jpg

20200226_172017.jpg

Wow...that is a monster. A beautiful monster though. Didn't hit your build thread yet, but that looks to be 10' or so?

Great point about having "three" tanks. Each viewing panel has a different experience - one of the things I like most.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dbl Great write up, you touch on just about everything someone stepping into the peninsula world should either have a plan for or be aware of. I will add that because of the nature of peninsula tanks and how they come off the walls, what is underneath them structurally is just as if not more important than when you consider placement of a standard tank. Because peninsulas project there weight towards the center of a room (typically the weakest point in a floor). Special attention should be paid to what's underneath it. My peninsula ending up running parallel to the floor joists beneath it so I ended up doubling up the 3 joists it sits on.

My tank is still dry due to a desire to have some of the most expensive equipment out there as well as other projects that need completing before it can get up and running so I'll post a dry tank picture for now...

20191114_190949.jpg

20190527_144620.jpg

Great point Josh about the weight distribution- thanks for pointing that out. Being on a slab, it wasn't an issue for me but certainly something to consider.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...that is a monster. A beautiful monster though. Didn't hit your build thread yet, but that looks to be 10' or so?

Great point about having "three" tanks. Each viewing panel has a different experience - one of the things I like most.

If I recall correctly it's 12 Ft, I've been following it pretty closely :)

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

20200226_171314.jpg

20200226_171328.jpg

20200226_172017.jpg
wow love the display, does it annoy you with the 2 powerhead on the end of the view side? sorry im kinda OCD lol

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall correctly it's 12 Ft, I've been following it pretty closely :)

Thanks...from a personal standpoint, I'm looking forward to signing up for a bunch of new build threads!!!

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I’m a sucker for a peninsula tank. I’m seeing more and more pop up here in the intro threads and members tank section. So, I thought I’d start this thread as a reference for anyone considering going the peninsula route. Regardless of what you read here, assuming it gets any traction, I truly believe you won’t regret going for a three-sided monster. #Peninsula

I would really like to see any of my fellow R2R peninsula (P-Tank) owners comment in this thread, sharing their experiences, both good and bad, and more importantly, sharing pictures. Heck, we all love pictures. Let’s try to make this a reference thread for current owners and those contemplating a peninsula. I’ll start us off and see where this takes us. In no way do I consider myself an expert at anything related to this hobby. As I like to joke, I know enough to be dangerous. But I’ll share my thoughts in hopes it will be a catalyst for others.

Obviously, you have to have the space for a P-Tank. I find them most appealing when they are used in such a way to blend into a space. We personally use ours as a room divider between our dining area and family room. To me anyway, they just look better if it appears to be a natural fit and not just a tank jutting out from a wall. But let’s face it, they’re still cool looking regardless of where they are.

Really won’t get into the mechanics and set up because every situation is different. I’m in Florida, on a slab, and it’s on an exterior wall. So, no basement to plumb to and no way to create a fish room. In my case everything has to be contained in the cabinet. For more specific details on my system, feel free to check out my build thread if you are so inclined.

One big challenge is the aquascape. You now have a tank visible from three sides (presumably two long sides and one short end) and you’ll want it to look good from all three. A traditional wall of rock doesn’t really work well. You really must play with it until you find the right design. It goes without saying that it is also dependent on what you plan to keep in the tank. If a FOWLR, maybe not as important. If reef, you must keep coral type and placement in mind. I guess that’s not really any different than a non-P-Tank, but it should look good from all three sides.

Next (or maybe even first) major challenge is flow. Depending on the size, it can be difficult to get flow to the other end of the tank. Yet another thing to think about when you’re doing your aquascape. I originally wanted to do so without any flow devices on the viewable end of the P-Tank. Well, I quickly discovered that wasn’t going to happen. Although I started with a very poorly designed closed loop (removed not long after I started), if I had to do it again, I would design it much differently and go that route, especially with the advancement of pumps over the last 7 years. So I ended up with a pump on the viewable end. Not a deal breaker but I'd prefer not to have it there.

Although I don’t believe lighting is really any more challenging, making the lighting look nice can be a little tricky given your lights are protruding into your room. So, keep that in mind when planning. Can you hang the lights from the ceiling? In my case, I just ended up building a canopy incorporated into the stand design. You may have to get creative so it fits with the decor of your space.

Last thing I’ll mention is accessibility. If you are lucky enough to have a fish room or basement you can utilize then great and I’m jealous. But since everything had to be self-contained, I wanted to be able to access it from both sides. I actually used panels instead of doors so I can access from both sides when needed. As we all know, there can be a lot of equipment you end up with to manage the tank. Again, you have the same issues with a non-P-Tank but just keep it in mind for the space you’re putting the tank.

This is the tip of the iceberg but I’m hoping it’s a start. I would love for fellow P-Tank owners to make a quick comment, share a picture or two, and then provide a link to their build thread. If this gets any traction, it could be a great resource for folks currently running a P-Tank and having challenges or for folks considering a P-Tank and yet to face them. Life is full of should-of-could-of-would-have moments. Let's see if we can help alleviate that for someone going the P-Tank route.

In closing, here is a quick walk-around mine. These are a little old, but you’ll get the idea. I’ve personally seen numerous P-Tank threads that I’m hoping join the party!

DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg
beautiful tank and thanks for creating this thread, hopefully it can become a sticky to share experience and idea on peninsula tank

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank and thanks for creating this thread, hopefully it can become a sticky to share experience and idea on peninsula tank

Thanks...that's my hope.

Now let's here your P-Tank story as I know you have one. :)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow love the display, does it annoy you with the 2 powerhead on the end of the view side? sorry im kinda OCD lol

I can't speak for @blitzkragz but I know it would drive me bananas which is why I went the closed loop route. I can't personally speak as to how effective it is flow wise yet as it's still dry but I think my LPS/Softes shouldn't make it an issue

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for @blitzkragz but I know it would drive me bananas which is why I went the closed loop route. I can't personally speak as to how effective it is flow wise yet as it's still dry but I think my LPS/Softes shouldn't make it an issue

My poorly designed CL worked perfectly fine until the SPS hit the tank. But like you, it's the route I'd go if planning a new one. And not to speak for @blitzkragz either, you really do get used to them being there and it's not the end of the world. Besides, you're supposed to be enjoying the contents not the container...lol.

Pete Paschall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poorly designed CL worked perfectly fine until the SPS hit the tank. But like you, it's the route I'd go if planning a new one.

Great thread! I will be setting up a new 72" X 30" X 20" peninsula when our new house gets built this summer. I am interested in how you would design the closed loop. @JoshH, feel free to chime in about your CL as well!

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I certainly would consider CL if I thought I could get the same flow as 2x gyre xf350s. Initially they were horizontal and that was a bit annoying when standing up and looking at the glass end. Putting them vertically though made things much better -- there is no angle at which they block anything you want to see. They kind of blend in with vertical black silicone that would be there anyway, and the wires can follow it.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely fighting the flow here too. I have 4 MP40's on my 5' tank all on the overflow side. Potentially looking at adding a couple Tunze pumps on a random pulse to help stir up detritus on the last foot of the tank. I know I will need more flow once the SPS start growing in too.

02-25.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg
Tanks looking gorgeous @dbl !

Back