The Peninsula Tank Discussion Thread – A Resource – Maybe!

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With your plan, if that closed loop pump fails, it will drain your tank to the point where the siphon breaks at the outlet of the plumbing. This would break the siphon on your overflow as well and whatever volume of water that is (Likely hundreds of gallons depending on where your lowest outlet is) will flood your sump.
So if you have a drain in the bottom, how do you handle the intake drain sucking in sand?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have a drain in the bottom, how do you handle the intake drain sucking in sand?

Mine is hidden in the rocks, and pulls from roughly the center of the water height, approximately 4-6" higher than the sand bed. I have a 2 inch intake feeding two Vectra M2's

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess i never post about my bigger peninsula been up and running for a year + now and like us all I wondering about flow.

here is a quick and dirty vid what you get other peninsula lover thoughts before a add more flow to the tank.

like us all I am trying to keep the short end "clean" from Ph and wires.

let me know what you think.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is hidden in the rocks, and pulls from roughly the center of the water height, approximately 4-6" higher than the sand bed. I have a 2 inch intake feeding two Vectra M2's
Others are welcome to respond as well.
Can you share where you put your return holes on the bottom of the tank? With my tank being 7 feet long, would these holes be placed only at the far end, opposite the overflow? And how many return holes? Thanks

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others are welcome to respond as well.
Can you share where you put your return holes on the bottom of the tank? With my tank being 7 feet long, would these holes be placed only at the far end, opposite the overflow? And how many return holes? Thanks

If you scroll back to the first page you can see my tank in it's dry state(Post #5). With one 2 inch Drain and four 1" outlets. These outlets are split into 8 3/4" locline outlets with an assortment of outlet ends. The outlets are staggered by 6" and the inlet is dead center of the tank. I have no other sources of flow aside from the main return. Not a heck of a lot of corals but the ones I do have are happy. For your inlet and outlets. If you are doing a true closed loop. Make a careful plan for plumbing it. An elabourate closed loop can take up a ton of space under the tank itself

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone ever figured out a way to run a Gyre on the overflow box? pretty sure the magnet will not fit inside the overflow box. kinda tempted to glue one there. :0
IDK might not be the best idea as much as you need to clean them but you could take the blads and cages out and clean then put back together.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone ever figured out a way to run a Gyre on the overflow box? pretty sure the magnet will not fit inside the overflow box. kinda tempted to glue one there. :0
IDK might not be the best idea as much as you need to clean them but you could take the blads and cages out and clean then put back together.

Is the overflow acrylic or glass? Is this your RS? Do you have a picture of the overflow? Even just the top front

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glass I am pretty sure
I have thought about siliconing one there . not that I have an extra ATM just thinking about flow and the "best" way to gwt what i need.

I wonder if you could get some kind of acrylic hanger made that hangs in the overflow teeth or on the rim of the overflow itself. Maybe @cromag27 could whip something up with his Octopods that the powerhead could stick to

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to add to the thread.

16B28651-59DC-47BD-88A4-087854772766.jpeg B9297CA8-6B36-4FB0-83FC-CA8B765893EA.jpeg
Any additional info on your setup? Beautiful tank and home!

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you scroll back to the first page you can see my tank in it's dry state(Post #5). With one 2 inch Drain and four 1" outlets. These outlets are split into 8 3/4" locline outlets with an assortment of outlet ends. The outlets are staggered by 6" and the inlet is dead center of the tank. I have no other sources of flow aside from the main return. Not a heck of a lot of corals but the ones I do have are happy. For your inlet and outlets. If you are doing a true closed loop. Make a careful plan for plumbing it. An elabourate closed loop can take up a ton of space under the tank itself
Very nice set up. Is your tank running and are you happy with the flow from the bottom returns? I assume you are running a few power heads on the back wall for additional flow?

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude that is epic! love the floating canopy I been meaning to make one to try to keep in some of the light spill.
Im using orpheks and the light spill without the canopy was very minimal. I kind of messed up on the canopy. It was just a metal frame with a huge plate on the back. I thought i could juat bolt it to the wall without support. But it flexed too much and i had to add the cables. If i new i was gonna add cable i would have never added the huge plate that you can see against the wall

Attachments

• D294EFFA-EA7D-45EF-8257-D004E06BE12D.jpeg
    D294EFFA-EA7D-45EF-8257-D004E06BE12D.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 61

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any additional info on your setup? Beautiful tank and home!
Thank you! Yeah i have a bunch of pics, ill probably make a build thread. I built everything except for the tank. I have a dual level sump and a home made protein skimmer.

Attachments

• 9BD9F554-7B22-4F11-A70B-C195A40C97E3.jpeg
    9BD9F554-7B22-4F11-A70B-C195A40C97E3.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 63
  • 778DEEF7-2BBC-4082-9401-F25AC225160F.jpeg
    778DEEF7-2BBC-4082-9401-F25AC225160F.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 43

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back