The Peninsula Tank Discussion Thread – A Resource – Maybe!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved and wife’s happy too.

Brilliant outcome...and I'm not talking about the couch...lol.

You mentioned setting up a mixing station. You may already have your plans and need no assistance. If not, I happen to know someone that wrote an article on the subject. A lot of great conversation resulted and additional information in the thread below.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

F17A2C08-A2A0-42C8-9FC8-A22556D4CAA3.jpeg 5F560F5B-CFB2-452E-83BE-596F32BD984D.jpeg

glad that worked out! perfect place for a peninsula!
the out line looks a bit small in that big room.....maybe you should go bigger? maybe a planet aquariums 310 gal? haha both RS and WB peninsula 's are beautiful but if my floor would support the weight i would go with that or a custom glass cage rimless.
not that I am bummed with my soon to be RS650P

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant outcome...and I'm not talking about the couch...lol.

You mentioned setting up a mixing station. You may already have your plans and need no assistance. If not, I happen to know someone that wrote an article on the subject. A lot of great conversation resulted and additional information in the thread below.

Nice article and I didn’t know heat can affect making RODI.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

F17A2C08-A2A0-42C8-9FC8-A22556D4CAA3.jpeg 5F560F5B-CFB2-452E-83BE-596F32BD984D.jpeg

I have a couple of questions for you about this placement. The area between the tank and the wall looks very narrow. Too narrow to really be able to get behind it to do anything. Is the taped outline definitely your final placement? If so, I’m curious as to why you have the tank protruding a little past the kitchen wall? I assume this is just still the same tape prior to moving the couch?

May I suggest moving the tank close to the wall where the couch is? I’d move tank toward couch and back. Even if you don’t want the tank all the way against the wall, I would try and align the overflow section of the tank flush with that kitchen wall. It will give the visual appearance of perfectly clean tank from the kitchen view and I bet your eye will not notice the overflow section from the couch as much since it will look like part of the wall.

Just an idea, but would make a big difference.

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of questions for you about this placement. The area between the tank and the wall looks very narrow. Too narrow to really be able to get behind it to do anything. Is the taped outline definitely your final placement? If so, I’m curious as to why you have the tank protruding a little past the kitchen wall? I assume this is just still the same tape prior to moving the couch?

May I suggest moving the tank close to the wall where the couch is? I’d move tank toward couch and back. Even if you don’t want the tank all the way against the wall, I would try and align the overflow section of the tank flush with that kitchen wall. It will give the visual appearance of perfectly clean tank from the kitchen view and I bet your eye will not notice the overflow section from the couch as much since it will look like part of the wall.

Just an idea, but would make a big difference.
I totally agree.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m working on a tank that’s hardly a peninsula. It measures 36” long x 26” wide x 28” tall and comes in at 115 gallons.

It’s growing lots of hair algae right now, but I’m hoping to have SPS growing in there in about 9 months from now.

A532FD09-D493-439D-AA9E-267199CDCF4D.jpeg

BDA135FC-8B9D-4D73-8A3C-3F5DB48CE480.jpeg

I only regret that I didn’t go wider and taller. Especially if I would have went 30” wide instead of 26”, I would have more room for tabling corals.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m working on a tank that’s hardly a peninsula. It measures 36” long x 26” wide x 28” tall and comes in at 115 gallons.

It’s growing lots of hair algae right now, but I’m hoping to have SPS growing in there in about 9 months from now.

A532FD09-D493-439D-AA9E-267199CDCF4D.jpeg

BDA135FC-8B9D-4D73-8A3C-3F5DB48CE480.jpeg

I only regret that I didn’t go wider and taller. Especially if I would have went 30” wide instead of 26”, I would have more room for tabling corals.

nice tank. is that an AIO or is the sump in the other room/basement?

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Does anyone have experience with nano sized peninsulas? I'm looking at at WB Peninsula Mini 15 and am wondering if there is a way to get enough flow without a powerhead on the end...maybe if I upgraded the return pump and put a RFG on it? The display area is 16.6"×13.8"×13.8".

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice fewer Peninsula reefers have the windex blue look. Maybe P tanks lend themselves to more natural scapes and therefore lighting? It kind of looks like snorkling as you look through them.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread and absolutely love it!!! I went peninsula (80"x24"x24") 5 years ago when it was not in fashion and love it. I would do it wider and shorter if I were to do it again given coral placement and flow are tough. However, now that Peninsula is in Vogue I am starting to think about going central (island) overflow as a room divider. 4 viewing panes!!! I love the concept but there are very little around to have a look at.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have ordered my tank (84x36x28) and have the ability to make some changes as far as drilling holes for flow. If I drill holes in the bottom of the tank to add flow via a pump, does it have to be a true closed loop with a dedicated intake and return lines? What about adding enough drain holes that drain into the overflow box and then adding another pump in the sump to add flow through the return lines in the bottom of the tank. Would that work as well? Thanks

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered my tank (84x36x28) and have the ability to make some changes as far as drilling holes for flow. If I drill holes in the bottom of the tank to add flow via a pump, does it have to be a true closed loop with a dedicated intake and return lines? What about adding enough drain holes that drain into the overflow box and then adding another pump in the sump to add flow through the return lines in the bottom of the tank. Would that work as well? Thanks

With your plan, if that closed loop pump fails, it will drain your tank to the point where the siphon breaks at the outlet of the plumbing. This would break the siphon on your overflow as well and whatever volume of water that is (Likely hundreds of gallons depending on where your lowest outlet is) will flood your sump.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back