The Peninsula Tank Discussion Thread – A Resource – Maybe!

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....... to shelve across the whole peninsula or to island, that is the question. Getting ready to set up a 300 gallon peninsula and am having a hard time deciding.

Peninsula Shelve:
70FCCFE7-3F1F-4FE1-A75A-693F32507938.jpeg

or Island:
6F96262E-C000-4E4E-B2BB-BB7C8526A68F.jpeg
The FedEx copy shop can print those pix lifesize for you then you can just stick them up where the tank goes to see which one you like. Compared to the cost of the tank the two posters would be a bargain.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lighting: harder to get that clean look for sure. for the larger peninsula I hope to make a floating canopy to hide the wires.

more glass to clean. you gotts keep that glass clean or it not gonna look good.

aquascape I think you really need to play around with this to get it right. \

placement ,you gottta have a place for a peninsula tank. they dont go everywhrere
Clean look: go old school with a rimmed tank. Perfect place to hide wires. It also gives a great false peace of mind about seams failing.
Glass: there are always 3 sides to clean, peninsula means you're not up against a wall to clean two of them.
Aquascape: not any easier with a one-sider if you're doing it right.
Placement: true for every size and orientation.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FedEx copy shop can print those pix lifesize for you then you can just stick them up where the tank goes to see which one you like. Compared to the cost of the tank the two posters would be a bargain.
The look is only one aspect. :). I also wonder about flow and detrus buld up.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The look is only one aspect. :). I also wonder about flow and detrus buld up.

This is a very good point. But I think a P-Tank isn't any different than a traditional tank in that things will change in time. Regardless of the type of tank, flow and detritus build up can be impacted in time by the coral species we end up with, placement of said corals, and ultimately (or shall I say hopefully) the growth of those corals. Bottom line, I think we all have to be prepared to "change" things up eventually, at least to some level.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very good point. But I think a P-Tank isn't any different than a traditional tank in that things will change in time. Regardless of the type of tank, flow and detritus build up can be impacted in time by the coral species we end up with, placement of said corals, and ultimately (or shall I say hopefully) the growth of those corals. Bottom line, I think we all have to be prepared to "change" things up eventually, at least to some level.
Very true, regardless of initial design, factors will change over time impacting all of the above. However, I think a shelve with an open bottom may be beneficial from a detritus and water flow prospective because the lack of obstruction. An island pattern will always cause detritus to become trapped in between the islands.

But maybe it is better to have those spots to support fauna that does not want as much flow.

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 150g CDA tank. It replaced my older elos 120. Peninsula tanks are amazing, it definitely takes some pre planning to make it work in a room. Most places have a spot you can shove a tank against a wall, but it's tricky finding somewhere to have a tank stick out from.

Absolutely worth it tho, it's like having 3 tanks.

The tank is 48x30x24

20200301_185938.jpg

20200301_190048.jpg

This might be my favorite view. At 30x24 this pane of glass has more viewing area than most of the tanks I have ever owned and it's awesome just to look down the whole length of the tank.

20200301_190038.jpg

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 150g CDA tank. It replaced my older elos 120. Peninsula tanks are amazing, it definitely takes some pre planning to make it work in a room. Most places have a spot you can shove a tank against a wall, but it's tricky finding somewhere to have a tank stick out from.

Absolutely worth it tho, it's like having 3 tanks.

The tank is 48x30x24

20200301_185938.jpg

20200301_190048.jpg

This might be my favorite view. At 30x24 this pane of glass has more viewing area than most of the tanks I have ever owned and it's awesome just to look down the whole length of the tank.

20200301_190038.jpg
I'm planning a 72"x30x"24" peninsula. I absolutely love your tank. What fixture are you using?

gofor100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is AWESOME!!! Right in time for my new peninsula build. Going with a 52"L x 36"W x 26"T tank (almost cube-like). I really wanted to take advantage of the 3 viewing panels, and with the shortest viewing panel being 36", I'm excited to see what this looks like.

My biggest concern is the flow, as I do plan to have quite a bit of SPS, and will TRY to keep all of powerheads on the back wall of the tank. Nonetheless, here is my plan to address the flow:

1) Aquascape will be somewhat of a bonsai-style-ish with two main islands (maybe one or two other small islands to add some dimensions given the 36" width of the tank). to have the majority of SPS near the back wall is (where the flow will be highest), then probably maintain any SPS on the 2nd island (furthest away from the back wall) on top of the island (where I think I can still get some good flow). Then, a majority of the corals that will be view-able on the far end will be LPL and some softies that won't need as much flow. This way, I'll have the colorful "flow-ey" corals on the 36" viewing panel, and the side viewing panels will be majority SPS (as many have already said, THREE TANKS IN ONE!).

2) Powerheads: I plan to have 4 MP40's on the back wall initially (two in the lower 1/3 of the tank, and 2 in the upper 2/3 of the tank), but then will likely have to add a Tunze or two (or some other powerhead that can be attached to the overflow) shooting water over the top of the islands to the other side of the tank.

We'll see how this works and I'll start posting pictures when this thing actually comes to fruition... the tank has been ordered, and now I'm just accumulating equipment and planning while I wait.

Question: what would be the best powerhead to attach to the overflow, and are there any issues with the Tunze (the powerhead that I'm initially thinking of using) magnet being submersed in the overflow water, or is it sealed just like the wetside of the magnet is?

Thanks everyone! Your tanks are an inspiration!

Chad

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is AWESOME!!! Right in time for my new peninsula build. Going with a 52"L x 36"W x 26"T tank (almost cube-like). I really wanted to take advantage of the 3 viewing panels, and with the shortest viewing panel being 36", I'm excited to see what this looks like.

My biggest concern is the flow, as I do plan to have quite a bit of SPS, and will TRY to keep all of powerheads on the back wall of the tank. Nonetheless, here is my plan to address the flow:

1) Aquascape will be somewhat of a bonsai-style-ish with two main islands (maybe one or two other small islands to add some dimensions given the 36" width of the tank). to have the majority of SPS near the back wall is (where the flow will be highest), then probably maintain any SPS on the 2nd island (furthest away from the back wall) on top of the island (where I think I can still get some good flow). Then, a majority of the corals that will be view-able on the far end will be LPL and some softies that won't need as much flow. This way, I'll have the colorful "flow-ey" corals on the 36" viewing panel, and the side viewing panels will be majority SPS (as many have already said, THREE TANKS IN ONE!).

2) Powerheads: I plan to have 4 MP40's on the back wall initially (two in the lower 1/3 of the tank, and 2 in the upper 2/3 of the tank), but then will likely have to add a Tunze or two (or some other powerhead that can be attached to the overflow) shooting water over the top of the islands to the other side of the tank.

We'll see how this works and I'll start posting pictures when this thing actually comes to fruition... the tank has been ordered, and now I'm just accumulating equipment and planning while I wait.

Question: what would be the best powerhead to attach to the overflow, and are there any issues with the Tunze (the powerhead that I'm initially thinking of using) magnet being submersed in the overflow water, or is it sealed just like the wetside of the magnet is?

Chad

Sounds awesome...make sure to start a build thread so we can follow along.

The only experience I have with a "powerhead" in the overflow is the Maxspect Gyre. Have it submerged for years without issue.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chad

for my overflow on my RS650P if I need it i was gonna use the reef breeders RMP pumps.
maybe get 5 of those - 2 on each side of the over flow and 1 on it. instead of a cpl MP40s? there pretty slim and I think they would look good.

Ruben Sacramento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my custom peninsula tank. It's 100cm x 87cm and has a height of 60cm.
I love as it was designed and built taking into account where it is currently placed. A niche between my TV and a corner of the living room.

20200321_124601.jpg

This is my view from the sofa.

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all. I am planning a peninsula tank and finding all the info and tank pics very helpful. I was looking at the RS650P Deluxe and Waterbox P6025 +plus HD. It looks like WB for the win. I’ve picked out the location. I plan to start the mixing station first which will be located outside the wall. Will consist of 2-65 gals. containers house in a outdoor storage bin/shed. This should make the auto water change and top off a breeze.

6C260881-8F7D-40E7-A1A3-72A719D87BC7.jpeg C20E2150-174F-464A-8B8A-3BE29D3CA891.jpeg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all. I am planning a peninsula tank and finding all the info and tank pics very helpful. I was looking at the RS650P Deluxe and Waterbox P6025 +plus HD. It looks like WB for the win. I’ve picked out the location. I plan to start the mixing station first which will be located outside the wall. Will consist of 2-65 gals. containers house in a outdoor storage bin/shed. This should make the auto water change and top off a breeze.
I love my WB peninsula, but you better check with them about the stand. I think the 6025 only opens on the side that faces your couch for one of the compartments. On my 7026 the ato would be inaccessible with your placement.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6C260881-8F7D-40E7-A1A3-72A719D87BC7.jpeg C20E2150-174F-464A-8B8A-3BE29D3CA891.jpeg

Oh come on look at that couch it screams custom tank!! :p

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my WB peninsula, but you better check with them about the stand. I think the 6025 only opens on the side that faces your couch for one of the compartments. On my 7026 the ato would be inaccessible with your placement.
Oh, I thought it opens from both sides with one door not accessible. Thanks, I will check.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have a peninsula! 20 gallon IM tank. Currently livestock is only CUC, fire shrimp, sexy shrimp, and a pair of super baby clowns (1 inch) the larger one is a Picasso and the smaller is an extreme snowflake. Ton of corals, I’ll post a list and my feeding regime and light schedule if y’all want. Looking for good fish additions? Preferably not jumpers cause I really like the rimless look. Thanks for looking!
CC8015E5-8DB0-4F24-B369-81F999BA039D.jpeg
82EA28E6-F265-4BAD-BE0A-38D433291E54.jpeg
4A357B31-A680-4DA3-BE27-5901E12CA971.jpeg
4A03D3BD-4D7C-4A8D-95A2-F4C9ABEFC774.jpeg
111DA437-E2CD-4702-90A7-C81608666409.jpeg
03B7DAFE-689A-441E-96F1-6BA695F2A61A.jpeg
4325849A-7A9F-481F-81D1-C6003C6D1CE9.jpeg
78E902FF-702C-438D-A2CC-14B61CF71ABA.jpeg
91292477-A8DD-4220-90FE-A64417971D2F.jpeg
45D81EAE-350F-4097-844B-D188652393F7.jpeg
C329A0AF-C27D-4830-BC26-985AFBAAD3B9.jpeg
05034354-74BC-42B8-B95E-897D41B2A91F.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back