Status
Not open for further replies.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over 2 years after I decided to upgrade my tank, today I FINALLY put a deposit down for a custom build by Planet Aquariums!
60"L x 30"W x 18"tall, internal overflow, Herbie drain. The stand will be built locally.
Everything will hopefully be delivered to the LFS in a couple months and then into my living room :)

I will keep my current 90 gallon Oceanic running until I've moved everything over, which will likely be an additional couple months. That system has an Eshopps R-200 sump, Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 return pump, Reef Octo Skimmer, a couple Jebao powerheads, and 2 Hydra 26HDs. Has heaters and an ATO as well, obviously.

For the new tank, I already have an Eshopps R-300 sump, another Reef Octo Skimmer, and a 60" ATI 8 bulb T5 Sunpower (I've been collecting equipment while I procrastinated, lol).

The sump has a relatively small return pump chamber and I have not decided if I'll use another Sicce or look into other brands, but the 5.0 has lasted 7 years without a problem (and very little maintenance).

I very well might end up using different lighting, but got an amazing deal on the ATI and couldn't pass it up.
I used to have a T5 fixture on the 90 gallon and I think I'll at least do a hybrid if I don't go back entirely to T5s.
(And, yes, I know some people on this forum have posted their concerns about T5 bulbs disappearing, but I'll cross that bridge if it ever happens!)

Anyway, more to come, eventually!

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so disappointed.
My tank was finally delivered today and there are a ton of issues.

The only one I noticed at first was #1 below, and decided it wasn't a big enough deal to not accept the tank.

1. It was supposed to have clear silicone, but has black. (the LFS owner said he'll look at what was sent to Planet and if the mistake was his, he'll refund some of my $; if the mistake was on Planet's end, he'll contact them)

2. The glass does not appear to be low iron on front (can't tell on the sides due to the ends of those panels being covered by silicone). Visually, the back and front glass, when viewed at from the edges, are the same color of green, and are darker green than the top glass braces, which are regular glass.

3. There is a small chip on right panel where it meets front glass. 100% not a structural issue, but is on a main viewing pane and will probably bother me...

4. Silicone is peeling away from the glass in many places... Various spots on vertical side seams, the entire overflow seam where it connects to the left side glass and most of where it meets the bottom glass, almost the entire front bottom seam, and a few places where the top frame meets the glass.
*I'm sure these spots are just extra silicone that wasn't trimmed off and not actual gaps in the integrity of the seams, but they are going to attract algae growth and be difficult to clean... *Neither of my 20+ year old Oceanic tanks have peeling silicone like this and I have NOT been careful with the magnetic scrapers over the years.

5. There are also extra "blobs" of silicone in several places...

I compared it to the empty Planet Crystalline 48 I have in the front room, and the 48 has MUCH neater/cleaner silicone with no peeling and no blobs.

The LFS owner is going to contact Planet tomorrow. I specifically chose Planet to build my tank because of the high quality of their work. The chip, the incorrect color of silicone, and the possible error with the glass (regular vs low iron) are one thing, but the sloppiness of the silicone is another.

While everything listed above could probably be ignored for the right amount of $ refunded, at this point I don't think I even want to keep the tank.

:frowning-face:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man o man I feel your pain on each to the issues, but the main one of course in the color of the silicone

Please pardon my ignorance, but why do people even consider black?

And I too would draw my eye to the chip every day.

you need an explanation and remediation.

lo siento

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man o man I feel your pain on each to the issues, but the main one of course in the color of the silicone

And I too would draw my eye to the chip every day.

you need an explanation and remediation.

lo siento
there is a Ry Cooder song, "That's the way the girls are in Texas" - might want to send a link to the builder before you start negotiating - smile

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a Ry Cooder song, "That's the way the girls are in Texas" - might want to send a link to the builder before you start negotiating - smile
Not sure what this means.
Planet is also in Texas.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and prefer black silicone. To me it just looks better. The clear always actually looks white to me.

To the OP I feel for you. Not too many things more disappointing than waiting patiently for something and then it not being what you wanted or / and damaged when it arrives. I would try to return it. The concerns will probably just wear on you after a while and you'll not be happy with it. At least that's how it would be for me.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt accept it - send it back! And if lfs boo booed on silicone he/she should refund ALL the money - not some.
Yeah, I hope I can "send it back", but it's in my house now and paid for...
We'll see what happens this week.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the build time/delivery time for this tank, due to unforseen circumstances it took month after I put my deposit down for the order to be sent, and then the tank was ready (and at the LFS) in about 3 weeks. I delayed the delivery because I had a custom stand built and then needed to finish up some home renovations prior to delivery.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While everything listed above could probably be ignored for the right amount of $ refunded, at this point I don't think I even want to keep the tank.
This totally sucks - sorry to hear it. What's next on your list? Red Sea? Cade?

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This totally sucks - sorry to hear it. What's next on your list? Red Sea? Cade?
No. I had to order custom to get what I wanted in the first place, and had a stand built to fit the tank.

The LFS owner said yesterday that he was going to contact Planet and let me know when he hears back...
My experiences with this particular store have been very positive, and I hope he comes through and does the right thing.

The bottom line is, I didn't order from Planet, I ordered from the LFS. He actually had the tank for a month and a half at his store since the stand still needed to be finished and I wasn't ready for delivery until this past weekend.

If he didn't take the time to inspect the tank and make sure it was what he ordered, that's 100% on him, and he needs to make it right. I can understand not noticing that it's not low iron glass (and I'm not positive it's not, but it seems awfully green to me...), but the silicone color is quite obvious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Promising update! Received this email from the LFS this morning:

"Good morning Erin we have some good news from Planet, our rep got back to us and is waiting on time frame on a rebuild for you. Not sure how long it will take but they are getting right on it. We addressed all the problems u found and they are going to make it right. Will let u know as soon as I get update"

So relieved!!

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Good morning Erin we have some good news from Planet, our rep got back to us and is waiting on time frame on a rebuild for you. Not sure how long it will take but they are getting right on it. We addressed all the problems u found and they are going to make it right. Will let u know as soon as I get update"

So relieved!!
Yay!!!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So relieved!!

That is great news, Hopefully they follow through on making it right and the whole process is smooth and swift. It's always heart breaking to read these stories and I am always thankful my own experience ordering a custom tank went rather well. Can't wait to see the new build come together! It's roughly the same size as my peninsula so it will be neat to see what you do with the same space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back