Not open for further replies.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Proven Best Lighting Solution for your Aquarium​

Top reasons why Metal Halides with T5 HO is superior lighting for a reef tank to even the most “high end” LEDs currently available to hobbyists and why so many hobbyists have already switched back or are switching back:

Much Better Coral Growth (especially SPS corals) – This is a big one and we hear it all the time. Metal halides with T5 provide hobbyists with simply better results in terms of coral growth. Quicker and more sustained coral growth especially SPS corals (small polyp stony corals). Healthier corals with better polyp extension. This is just a fact. While LEDs will grow coral, they simply do not grow acropora at anywhere near the rate or success as metal halides do. It's not even close. Growth from LEDs is limited to mainly on top of the coral only - not inside the coral and underneath. The lack of light inside the coral decreases growth and can lead to their mortality. When you switch to Metal Halide + T5 it reverses their decline from LEDs and show massive improvement in coral health. So, if you are thinking of having a mixed reef aquarium, an SPS dominant aquarium or want to keep any type of acropora and you want the best results for that tank – Metal Halides are by far the superior lighting solution to LEDs.
Better Coral Color and Intensity – Many hobbyists who have used all types of lighting tell us they simply have better color out of their fish and corals, especially SPS, under the right metal halide and T5 lighting combination. The glow and the hue from acropora under Metal Halide with T5 cannot be matched by LEDs. Fish and coral stand out more. Your coral colors are much more true.
No Disco Ball Effect – Many LED tanks often have that “disco ball” effect. The shimmer in the tank looks unnatural. It appears you’ve landed in Studio 54 or in the middle of a rave party. Some tanks are just difficult to look at because of a lack of light blend. You end up seeing the individual colors of the LEDs in your sand bed. Lame! You don’t get that with metal halide with T5. With metal halides, you have a more natural “quality” sunlight effect. Metal Halides give the tank a more aesthetically pleasing shimmer effect without the disco ball look.
No Shadowing Problems like with LEDs – Even the most “high end” LEDs create shadowing in your corals. This is a major problem of LEDs. You don’t get this when you use metal halides with T5. This is because Metal halides with T5 give you a better light spread versus LEDs and you do NOT have any shadowing problem like with LEDs. LEDs are intense directly under the diode (hotspots which create stressed, oddly shaped corals) but lose their intensity much quicker as you spread out only just a few inches from the center and don’t cover an aquarium as well as metal halide with T5 leading to this shadowing problem. With metal halide and T5, you have no shadowing underneath or inside your corals like you do with LEDs. You see all parts to your corals better with no shadowing.

Electrical Savings - NOT what it is made out to be with LEDs – this is because with LEDs, heaters are often running all day long. This is often overlooked. The result of a 200 – 500 watt heater on all day really adds up! This added power consumption negates the expected cost savings in electricity you thought you were getting by using LEDs.

LEDs often require TWICE the number of units than their MFG recommendation – It’s true. If you want to limit the shadowing from LEDs in SPS tanks and if you want SPS corals to grow like they do under metal halides, you need to purchase TWICE as many LED lights as what the manufacturers suggest. You need to blanket your tank with LEDs to get the same coverage as you do with metal halides. This is because with metal halides you have a much better light spread and more thorough coverage in your aquarium. LEDs are intense directly under the light but quickly lose par as you leave just inches from their center. This leads to shadowing, lack of color and less coral growth. You could end up spending $5,000 on “high end” LEDs or get better results and spend only $1,000 on metal halides with T5.

Upfront Costs are much Higher with LEDs - if you do achieve any cost savings with LEDs, it generally will take several years at least before you see a breakeven point. At that time, you will probably want to upgrade your LEDs to a different, “latest and greatest” which will cost you even more money to do so and that’s if your LED light is still working! How many times have we heard LEDs last “50,000” hours yet with even the “high end” LEDs several of the diodes in their systems fail within 1-2 years. Most LED companies who say their light lasts "50,000" hours give you only a 1 year warranty on their product!

Set It and Forget It – with metal halide and T5 lighting, you don’t have to continuously “dial in” your settings to find the right look for your tank like you do with high end LEDs. With metal halide and T5, it is a simple plug and play system to enjoy the results. It is much more user friendly. You have dawn to dusk lighting and you don’t have to consistently worry about finding the right look from your LED. You simply plug it iin and get true coral color, a pop to your tank and a natural shimmer effect in your water.

For the past 7 years, we have heard “LEDs are good but they are not 'there yet'". When are they going to be “there”? At this point and after all this time, it’s not going to happen. We’ve waited long enough for LEDs to top Metal Halides and they just haven’t. Metal Halides + T5 is just a better lighting solution for a reef aquarium especially if you plan on keeping SPS and acropora.

If you care about your tank enough to have the best lighting over it, you will choose MH + T5 over LEDs.

The text above was referred to me by @oreo5457 in this post:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/metal-halides-are-the-bomb.690290/post-9115206

Hope this will educate more about metal halides and T5s.
Not a hate thread! Educational thread!
Oreo thought I work for Hamilton because I use and recommend MH and T5s. LOL!
He probably didn't know that when I had to choose between the best fixture I chose the Giesemann Spectra instead of the ReefBrite and Cebu Hamilton. To tell the truth I don't even have any ballast from Hamilton, I have the Luxcore.
I'm not sponsored nor ever worked for any aquarium store or related ever! LOL!
Hopefully the newbies will take something good from this!
Enjoy the reading!
Thanks, oreo!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hamilton main sales are metal halide related.. Don't you think that deserves your in depth investigation?

See all opinions matter.. which is why I had no qualms posting that link for you.

Actually since it was word for word of your gospel I DID suspect you wrote it in part.
huh go figure.
Wasn't the reason to feed it to you though.
The worked for Hamilton line was minor sarcasm though w/ reservations, see above line.

BTW there is no link to that page on the current Hamilton website AFAICT.
It's orphaned..

Last edited:

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, I used metal halides for a very long time, same with t5s. Sure growth may be a little better in SPS, but halides are an absolute pain in the behind.
You may pay a few extra bucks for a heater each month, but enjoy that $900 chiller with more energy use than a heater. If you are running a large system with halides, there is no way around it.
There isn't basis for an argument on energy costs, halides use significantly more energy, a heater is not going to be running all day for leds, they dont cool the tank down lol.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your depth investigation, yes.
I'm for the truth!
Yes, please do your depth investigation on that EcoTech's pdf comparing MH and T5 to sell their fixtures because EcoTech's main sales is Radion related.
They call themselves "experts":
Coral Lab = EcoTech.
By the way... The only reason I'm mentioning the EcoTech pdf here is because all this started when I answered a question:
I can't answer questions because oreo gets excited!
Let me know anyone that would apply their Radions at 100% for their reef tanks at home!
By the way... I should help you out and show what Dr. Sanjay Joshi already said about his preferences between those Radions and metal halides:

Thanks again, oreo for giving me some boost to talk about the best lighting for reef tanks. I think now you have something actually good to do.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find it interesting seeing someone who does freshwater tanks telling reef enthusiasts who have been at this since the 90s what lighting is better.
I am not even fully convinced that halides are better, Aquacultured corals grown back in the day did not have the colors of the ones grown under LED's today.
Regardless of if it is or isn't a little better, It would be unwise for a hobbyist to purchase a metal halide system at this point in the hobby, you WOULD need a chiller, which is just shy of 1000 dollars, and in some cases way more than that.
Tell me please HOW this is remotely saving money on energy, especially considering the extreme energy it takes to run just 1 metal halide.
Lets price in bulbs for t5 and MH over a 5 year period (far less than the 50k rated hours for most LEDS). Top quality German bulbs, nothing cheap or the argument about what is better is an easy win for LED.
Reef tanks require far more maintenance than freshwater tanks, and most people in the hobby enjoy not having to change out bulbs every few months when they get an LED, set it and forget for the majority of their time in the hobby.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, A.grandis likes MH over led? Since when?!?

Ohhh that’s right weekly if not daily posts about it for a couple years now! I forgot. My favorite was you attacking someone on their own build thread about switching. I forgot who but it was a big name in reefing. I wonder if that drove him off the forum.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ohhh that’s right weekly if not daily posts about it for a couple years now! I forgot. My favorite was you attacking someone on their own build thread about switching. I forgot who but it was a big name in reefing. I wonder if that drove him off the forum.
I just read thru the last page of his large thread, hes must be mad or something. I am not sure, if he likes metal halides maybe he should just use them. Is not much different than trying to get people with win10 to go back to xp, because it worked in 1995.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read thru the last page of his large thread, hes must be mad or something. I am not sure, if he likes metal halides maybe he should just use them. Is not much different than trying to get people with win10 to go back to xp, because it worked in 1995.
I suspect it’s a Batman thing, LEDs murdered his parents and he is out for revenge!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone thats used both mh/t5 and led as well as led hybrids with atleast 5+ years with each setup as well as almost 20 years in the hobby i feel i have the experience to chime in here.

-GROWTH
As far as growth is concerned its more important that corals have the correct par intensity as well as the correct spectrum of light with the least amount of shading. The shading is HUGE when it comes to added growth and why either t5 or strip leds are best for supplemental light. This is easier to achieve with mh/t5 and why so many people have easy success with them, but is certainly possible to match with leds. Many people with leds are not utilizing par meters and arent aware of the best spectrums to run, this drastically decreases the growth rate if they arent ideal. But i feel the spectrum adjustablility is much nicer than set it and forget it with mh/t5 when you know what your doing. Finals statements, i feel similar growth rates can be achieved by both lighting options when optimized. I do agree that most led fixtures alone have too much shading to achieve maximum growth and its best to run a hybrid fixture with something like reefbrites or t5s when using leds. Just like how mh arent the best alone and are always supplemented with t5.

-COLOR
This will always be opinionated and not fact. Personally i LOVE being able to dial in my ideal color spectrum with leds. Plus i also have settings for fun that i throw on just to see crazy colors. Im a big fan of the blues and i dont care for daylight colors from mhs, but others love it. The nice thing with leds is you can have both.

-ENERGY/POWER SAVING
My power bill dropped drastically when i ditched the mhs. And even with leds i still need to run a chiller on my 265. Tank hasnt had a heater in 20 years. But with mhs most tanks will need a chiller which is much more costly upfront and to continuously run than a heater.

Metal halides and t5s will always be a staple in the industry for easy lighting. You absolutely can not beat the ease of use and consistent results. However leds are not by any means a worse lighting option. They both have their pros and cons, but when i made the switch i saw no noticeable decreases in growth and only a decrease in the electric bill. Also keep in mind most of the top coral farms rarely if ever use halides.

Grown under leds
20190625_135300.jpg

P.s if anyones interested i have a 6ft mh/t5 canopy with ballasts and new bulbs for sale :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny how people tend to post stuff directly to me.
Funnier how those posts aren't classified as any type of "personal attack" by the mods.
They never comment on the facts of any substantial post I published, like the post #4 above.
I'm waiting on that so called "deep investigation" from post #2 above too.
So sad to see this type of behavior, but I'm so used to. LOL!
Remember: oreo started this and the reason I opened this thread was so it wouldn't ruin the original BOMB thread!

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you seen what started this thread?
I've never seen anything substantial from you as well!
You are reading too many comics lately!

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone thats used both mh/t5 and led as well as led hybrids with atleast 5+ years with each setup as well as almost 20 years in the hobby i feel i have the experience to chime in here.

-GROWTH
As far as growth is concerned its more important that corals have the correct par intensity as well as the correct spectrum of light with the least amount of shading. The shading is HUGE when it comes to added growth and why either t5 or strip leds are best for supplemental light. This is easier to achieve with mh/t5 and why so many people have easy success with them, but is certainly possible to match with leds. Many people with leds are not utilizing par meters and arent aware of the best spectrums to run, this drastically decreases the growth rate if they arent ideal. But i feel the spectrum adjustablility is much nicer than set it and forget it with mh/t5 when you know what your doing. Finals statements, i feel similar growth rates can be achieved by both lighting options when optimized. I do agree that most led fixtures alone have too much shading to achieve maximum growth and its best to run a hybrid fixture with something like reefbrites or t5s when using leds. Just like how mh arent the best alone and are always supplemented with t5.

-COLOR
This will always be opinionated and not fact. Personally i LOVE being able to dial in my ideal color spectrum with leds. Plus i also have settings for fun that i throw on just to see crazy colors. Im a big fan of the blues and i dont care for daylight colors from mhs, but others love it. The nice thing with leds is you can have both.

-ENERGY/POWER SAVING
My power bill dropped drastically when i ditched the mhs. And even with leds i still need to run a chiller on my 265. Tank hasnt had a heater in 20 years. But with mhs most tanks will need a chiller which is much more costly upfront and to continuously run than a heater.

Metal halides and t5s will always be a staple in the industry for easy lighting. You absolutely can not beat the ease of use and consistent results. However leds are not by any means a worse lighting option. They both have their pros and cons, but when i made the switch i saw no noticeable decreases in growth and only a decrease in the electric bill. Also keep in mind most of the top coral farms rarely if ever use halides.

Grown under leds
20190625_135300.jpg

P.s if anyones interested i have a 6ft mh/t5 canopy with ballasts and new bulbs for sale :)
We have 3 types of lighting: MH, T5 and LEDs.
What is the worse in terms of health results?
Answer: LEDs.
Still ok to use? Yeah.
Everyone has their own opinions.
Thanks for posting yours!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 types of lighting: MH, T5 and LEDs.
What is the worse in terms of health results?
Answer: LEDs.
Still ok to use? Yeah.
Everyone has their own opinions.
Thanks for posting yours!
But see youre also posting with a bias and stating things as facts that arent. Leds can hurt coral if used improperly but so can metal halides if you use too much wattage or run them too close to the surface. Leds are not bad for the health of corals.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But see youre also posting with a bias and stating things as facts that arent. Leds can hurt coral if used improperly but so can metal halides if you use too much wattage or run them too close to the surface. Leds are not bad for the health of corals.
Not bad, but not the best. Best lights for biologists is halides and T5s. Just search and don't believe LED marketing, including Youtube channels and other sponsored channels. You will find lots of threads here about the subject!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandis got run out of the Zoa forum for constantly ranting that people need to get rid of their LEDs and offering destructive advice. Now he's lurking in the lighting forum posting weird stuff and just looking for an argument/attention with laughable science.

He makes R2R look bad.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandis got run out of the Zoa forum for constantly ranting that people need to get rid of their LEDs and offering destructive advice. Now he's lurking in the lighting forum posting weird stuff and just looking for an argument/attention with laughable science.

He makes R2R look bad.
Search under my name and you will find only great advice in the zoa forums!!!!
Actual advice, cause most of the other posts were junk about stupid cartoon named "ID"s.
My private message file at Reef Central was totally jammed with people thanking me for my advices about zoanthids!!
This is the truth!

Here:

Is this post that I just quoted considered "personal attack", mods?

@blasterman: you are another trouble maker.
You should work for the hobby, not against it!
Do you have anything substantial to post?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both, right now. A Photon V2 over a 75 and 4x250w MH + 8x 52w T-5 over a 240.
I don't need a chiller. My system goes up and down about 2 degrees over a day.
They both work. Use what you like.
My Hamilton lights are discontinued now. So I wont be telling anyone to buy them anyway.

I am not sure I should listen to someone that told me to run my lights 3 hours day and slowly increase them to 5. That seems beyond silly to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back