The Reef2Reef Tapatalk App is going to be disabled soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those asking for a home screen button for the R2R mobile site on an iphone, it can be done. Unfortunately, I bumbled my way through it so I can't walk you through how to do it very well.

Using the shortcut app you need to go to "Gallary" section and do a search for Chrome. You can then select the "Open in Chrome" shortcut. That was the easy part. I don't understand how exactly I linked the R2R home page to it other than through using bookmarks. I had quite a few deletes and restarts.

It then give you the option to add the shortcut to the home screen and you can edit the icon, also. This is what mine looks like now.
1565801805152.png

Doing my best to help out the #RDawg !

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although I totally respect the reasons for doing it, I find it a little disappointing. I used the app a lot more regularly than the online. Although the aforementioned technique allows a link to your home screen, I try and keep that as clutter free as possible so not ideal- an app can sit in my menus, you cant have a google link within the apps menu.

An independent app would be great- although I know how much of a pain it will be.

I'm sorry and hope you will at least give the true mobile version a chance. Thank you.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those asking for a home screen button for the R2R mobile site, it can be done. Unfortunately, I bumbled my way through it so I can't walk you through how to do it very well.

Using the shortcut app you need to go to "Gallary" section and do a search for Chrome. You can then select the "Open in Chrome" shortcut. That was the easy part. I don't understand how exactly I linked the R2R home page to it other than through using bookmarks. I had quite a few deletes and restarts.

It then give you the option to add the shortcut to the home screen and you can edit the icon, also. This is what mine looks like now.
1565801805152.png

Doing my best to help out the #RDawg !

ROFL! Thanks and ruff ruff!

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I totally respect the reasons for doing it, I find it a little disappointing. I used the app a lot more regularly than the online. Although the aforementioned technique allows a link to your home screen, I try and keep that as clutter free as possible so not ideal- an app can sit in my menus, you cant have a google link within the apps menu.

An independent app would be great- although I know how much of a pain it will be.
I felt the same as you but gave it an honest try with an open mind for a few day and have found myself really liking the swap. Still getting to know all the navigation and features but so far I’m loving it and feel like I was missing out using tapatalk.

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gives me some sort of vindictive revenge feeling lol. Thank you! I don't like it when I'm viewing forums on my phone only to be constantly pestered by Tapatalk ads/popups (not really on this forum; but on others). And half the time you accidentally click 'ok' because of their deceptive wording and you get taken to the App Store. I detest Tapatalk and support this solely on those grounds lol.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the light theme?
Well the issue is if say you like the dark theme on the phone you have to use it on the desk top as it is a user preference.
The light colored text doesn’t stand out as much as in tapatalk.

1A6C9643-CCAC-48B6-8C64-41B1EA21F361.png

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the issue is if say you like the dark theme on the phone you have to use it on the desk top as it is a user preference.
The light colored text doesn’t stand out as much as in tapatalk.

1A6C9643-CCAC-48B6-8C64-41B1EA21F361.png

You can also use dark mode via desktop!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be reading anything into the fact that each posts ‘thumb up’ button is the literal Facebook like icon?

;)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The home screen link also doesn’t appear to save user id and password, which needs to be red tested every time. That’s a bit cumbersome for a quick check.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you use the R2R Tapatalk Branded App and Tapatalk App and we have tried to keep it working as long as possible. But I recently found out that the company who makes the app (Tapatalk) has started to store user information from forums and have begun to sell advertising based upon this information. We don't sell your info and we don't like the fact that we can't have control over that aspect to keep others from doing it. Another reason is that we like to have control over our community and we don't like some of the tactics used by Tapatalk to force us to comply with their methodology. They also will not support the full features of our forum and it leaves for an incomplete experience for some users at times.

As a result we have made the decision to remove Tapatalk support from R2R and unpublish our app.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT OUR MOBILE VERSION BUT THE APP VERSION. YOU CAN STILL SURF R2R ON YOUR PHONE!

I realize there will be some of you who do not like this decision but based on my previous comments we have had to make this hard decision and we are going to stand by it. I wanted to make this announcement and give you time to make alternative plans, if you are a Tapatalk R2R surfer.

For now we do offer notifications to your phone if you have an Android device. Hopefully soon we will have this option for IOS devices as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

NOTE: YOU CAN SET UP R2R LIKE AN APP ON YOUR PHONE: To use R2R on your phone simple open your internet browser on your phone and type www.reef2reef.com. The following is a pictorial first for IOS devices and second for Android devices.

ios 1.jpg

ios 2.jpg

ios 3.jpg

and 1.jpg

and 2.jpg

and 3.jpg

Thank you and if you have any questions about how to set R2R up on your phone please let us know!
Hey Revh, i opened chrome on my phone & went through the process for android but I can't find the app anywhere on my phone Samsung S8.
Any idea why???

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an inconvenience but I do understand and agree with that decision.... Will be removing tapatalk altogether from my mobile devices.....

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain to me how Tapatalk app is different then any other app, program or website out there. All apps, websites and programs stores, shares and provides targeted advertising. The only website they share info with is the website involved in the log in or sign up. They have to store the information so that you can log in.

If you buy a new computer answering targeted advertising questions is part of the set up of Windows. It is part of the set up of your phone. It is in Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and all other media sources. I read through the agreement. Your cell phone provider collects and shares more personal information with third parties then Tapatalk does. By stating this against Tapatalk, can I also assume that you will be boycotting Twitter, Facebook and even shared article links such as Reefbuilder? Websites gather, collect and share data for advertising as well. That is why most see targeted advertising from Amazon, ebay and other shops related to their interests. If I go look at 3d printers on Amazon then every website I go to that has advertising will have that as the advertisments.

Speaking of advertisements, when did all this advertising pop up on R2R? Between every few posts is sponsors advertising. It may have been started a while ago as I only used Tapatalk. I may get warned or banned for saying this, but maybe the fact that it is just too many sponsors upset about the mass amount of people like me who never see their paid advertising. Now we are forced to.

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really do not like this decision. It makes life a lot harder and while I’ll be giving it a try in my mobile browser, I can already tell this will drastically reduce the amount of time I’ll spend on R2R while on my phone (which is a majority of the time). Just not the user experience that I want. It’s a lot more cluttered and doesn’t feel natural. Anyway, hope a new app is created.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate this decision! I love the ease of being able to post pictures when using Tapatalk. Why not leave it to the user if they wasnt to give up their information to the app?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone explain to me how Tapatalk app is different then any other app, program or website out there. All apps, websites and programs stores, shares and provides targeted advertising. The only website they share info with is the website involved in the log in or sign up. They have to store the information so that you can log in.

If you buy a new computer answering targeted advertising questions is part of the set up of Windows. It is part of the set up of your phone. It is in Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and all other media sources. I read through the agreement. Your cell phone provider collects and shares more personal information with third parties then Tapatalk does. By stating this against Tapatalk, can I also assume that you will be boycotting Twitter, Facebook and even shared article links such as Reefbuilder? Websites gather, collect and share data for advertising as well. That is why most see targeted advertising from Amazon, ebay and other shops related to their interests. If I go look at 3d printers on Amazon then every website I go to that has advertising will have that as the advertisments.

Speaking of advertisements, when did all this advertising pop up on R2R? Between every few posts is sponsors advertising. It may have been started a while ago as I only used Tapatalk. I may get warned or banned for saying this, but maybe the fact that it is just too many sponsors upset about the mass amount of people like me who never see their paid advertising. Now we are forced to.

No but you bring up a good point for me to make that you're forgetting. I own Reef2Reef, Tapatalk does not. If I want to show ads on a platform in a community I started from nothing then I have the right to. Other than that you're welcome to your comments but we don't share user data with any of our advertisers.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really hate this decision! I love the ease of being able to post pictures when using Tapatalk. Why not leave it to the user if they wasnt to give up their information to the app?

How hard is it to post photos on the mobile versus TT? Like can you explain it to me?

I tested and it's actually the exact same amount of steps PLUS we allow you to select more than one photo AND you can upload video whereas TT doesn't allow you to select multiple photos or video.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but you bring up a good point for me to make that you're forgetting. I own Reef2Reef, Tapatalk does not. If I want to show ads on a platform in a community I started from nothing then I have the right to. Other than that you're welcome to your comments but we don't share user data with any of our advertisers.

You are 100% correct. Well for the most part. It is your site and you can do what you want. I understand and don't fault you for stopping Tapatalk as I would assume paid sponsors would hate paying hundreds for sponsorship advertising while a large part of the community should never see the advertising.

By forcing us to use a web browser our phones and computers automatically shares that browser information. At least before we had a choice which platform we utilized.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are 100% correct. Well for the most part. It is your site and you can do what you want. I understand and don't fault you for stopping Tapatalk as I would assume paid sponsors would hate paying hundreds for sponsorship advertising while a large part of the community should never see the advertising.

By forcing us to use a web browser our phones and computers automatically shares that browser information. At least before we had a choice which platform we utilized.

Do you know how many years we have used TT? The whole time it's been available. Do you know how long we have run ads? Do you know that we can have our own ads run even on TT and we did? So it has nothing, literally nothing to do with that. I'm tired of being held hostage in my own community to have to submit to what a 3rd party app wants to do including privacy concerns. You can believe what you will. I hope you will give the mobile version a good honest evaluation and stay within our community. Thank you.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how many years we have used TT? The whole time it's been available. Do you know how long we have run ads? Do you know that we can have our own ads run even on TT and we did? So it has nothing, literally nothing to do with that. I'm tired of being held hostage in my own community to have to submit to what a 3rd party app wants to do including privacy concerns. You can believe what you will. I hope you will give the mobile version a good honest evaluation and stay within our community. Thank you.

I have been using it and honestly it is a total PITA to reply, edit and is extremely bulky. When I scroll half my screen is award banners and user info. It also uses more bandwidth. I by no means am leaving the community but it would be great to see an app to replace TT. I am sure there is a developer here that would help out.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using it and honestly it is a total PITA to reply, edit and is extremely bulky. It also uses more bandwidth. I by no means am leaving the community but it would be great to see an app to replace TT. I am sure there is a developer here that would help out.

Honestly I would love to have one and it's not out of the question by no means. There are some hurdles though. Oh and I guess it's what you get used to because many people love the mobile and many people loved TT. Can't please everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back