The Science Of Sand Washing

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too long ago I made a claim about needing less water to wash new aragonite sand if you first sieve it to remove the fines.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quit-wasting-water-washing-dry-aragonite-sand.953390/

Long story short, I was wrong. So, I went back to the lab to understand aragonite sand washing. Here is the new data that gives us insight into why aragonite sand is nearly impossible to rinse clean.

Everyone who has ever tried to wash aragonite sand until the wash water ran clear, faces performing what seems like an infinite number of washes. The orange line on the plot below shows how the cloudiness of the wash water (measured with the Hanna Color of Water Checker) declines rapidly at first but then refuses to budge much lower.

602CAC02-A9D1-4DBB-8BE0-51DC8CF64C8C.png

I initially thought that removing the fines by sieving the sand first would solve the problem of “infinite washes”. The blue line in the above plot shows it does not help. What is going on?

One of the first hints about what is happening during aragonite sand washing came from comparing data from two sand washing experiments. By overlaying the turbidity data from washing 100 mL and 200 mL of sand, the process looks like it might involve two stages. The first stage is where the turbidity is correlated with the initial sand mass while the second stage seems to occur with little or no difference between the two initial sand masses. The correlation of the first stage turbidity with the initial sand mass suggests turbidity is relates to the amount of fines suspended in the wash water, while the second stage turbidity, seemingly unrelated to the amount of sand present, means what?

55D7BEE0-C604-4201-8451-4729A4EC6EBF.png

To investigate the process in the second stage further and determine whether it occurs throughout the entire sand washing exercise, the turbidity of the wash water was measured, then it was filtered through a 1.6 micron glass filter to remove the fines. Each filter was weighed before use and then again after filtration and drying. Turbidity of the filtrate was also measured to assess how much turbidity there was that was not associated with the fines in the sand. Comparing the turbidities of the wash water and filtrate (see plot) demonstrates that the second turbidity generating process occurs in every wash.

B330436F-B6CE-43AF-89EF-5EB828AF8429.png

Comparing turbidities of the filtrate against the wash water turbidity minus the filtrate turbidity indicates that the decline in turbidity caused by fines might be faster (orange line) than the decline in turbidity caused by the second stage process (blue line).

F5EFD846-BC1C-492D-82C1-0A8D4CBFABA1.png

With regards to the mass of the filtered fines, it is well correlated to the turbidity of the wash water (see plot). The intercept is not zero pribably because of the turbidity caused by stage two turbidity.

57A9BD40-4057-477F-8925-4B179942D838.png

Data that gave me a hint about what might be happening in the second turbidity generating process involved stirring washed sand in tap water for varying lengths of time (see plot below). This data makes clear that wash water turbidity rapidly increases with the time that sand is exposed to tap water. Interestingly, stirring aragonite sand for one hour in tap water resulted in wash water resembling a thin, translucent white paint. This last observation suggests that a crystallization or precipitation is occurring. But why?

8809F309-1F85-49D8-AE9C-676F8B64F479.png

The sand used in the experiments contains aragonite, a form of calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate has two major polymorphs or crystal forms, aragonite and calcite. Aragonite is typically formed by living organisms and is less stable than calcite, just like diamond is less stable than graphite. A manifestation of calcite stability is its lower solubility in water compared to aragonite. The consequence is that when aragonite dissolves in water (calcium carbonate is slightly soluble in freshwater), the concentration of calcium carbonate exceeds the solubility limit of calcite and crystals form. This dissolution-crystallization process can continue as long as there is aragonite present because crystallization continually removes calcium carbonate from solution, allowing more aragonite to dissolve. Stirring aragonite sand for an hour created a large amount of microscopic crystals that formed an emulsion-like mixture resembling thin paint. Can this process be inhibited?

By using 1000 ppm Ca++ (common ion effect) or 1000 ppm Mg++ (calcium carbonate crystallization inhibition) in tap water, turbidity can be reduced but not eliminated (see plot). Twenty percent isopropanol in tap water also diminishes turbidity to a similar extent.

E7C99E20-DD02-417B-8616-0B6AE437D052.png

To demonstrate that minimizing aragonite sand exposure is also beneficial for large scale sand washing, six kg of aragonite sand was washed eight times with ten liters of tap water each wash. I used a power drill equipped with a paint mixer to thoroughly mix the sand in a minimum amount of time. I discussed the power drill here

Mix time was 10 seconds. The trend in turbidity for the large scale washes was similar to that observed for the small scale pilot run (see plot).

2395E30E-2115-459A-A70C-3F3D3AF63D16.png

Samples of the wash water (photo below) show how turbidity caused by fines is quickly reduced and how persistently the wash water remains cloudy. Water is likely being wasted after the fourth wash.

6525DFB6-8584-41AC-951F-C2122AEDD9EF.jpeg

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too long ago I made a claim about needing less water to wash new aragonite sand if you first sieve it to remove the fines.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quit-wasting-water-washing-dry-aragonite-sand.953390/

Long story short, I was wrong. So, I went back to the lab to understand aragonite sand washing. Here is the new data that gives us insight into why aragonite sand is nearly impossible to rinse clean.

Everyone who has ever tried to wash aragonite sand until the wash water ran clear, faces performing what seems like an infinite number of washes. The orange line on the plot below shows how the cloudiness of the wash water (measured with the Hanna Color of Water Checker) declines rapidly at first but then refuses to budge much lower.

602CAC02-A9D1-4DBB-8BE0-51DC8CF64C8C.png

I initially thought that removing the fines by sieving the sand first would solve the problem of “infinite washes”. The blue line in the above plot shows it does not help. What is going on?

One of the first hints about what is happening during aragonite sand washing came from comparing data from two sand washing experiments. By overlaying the turbidity data from washing 100 mL and 200 mL of sand, the process looks like it might involve two stages. The first stage is where the turbidity is correlated with the initial sand mass while the second stage seems to occur with little or no difference between the two initial sand masses. The correlation of the first stage turbidity with the initial sand mass suggests turbidity is relates to the amount of fines suspended in the wash water, while the second stage turbidity, seemingly unrelated to the amount of sand present, means what?

55D7BEE0-C604-4201-8451-4729A4EC6EBF.png

To investigate the process in the second stage further and determine whether it occurs throughout the entire sand washing exercise, the turbidity of the wash water was measured, then it was filtered through a 1.6 micron glass filter to remove the fines. Each filter was weighed before use and then again after filtration and drying. Turbidity of the filtrate was also measured to assess how much turbidity there was that was not associated with the fines in the sand. Comparing the turbidities of the wash water and filtrate (see plot) demonstrates that the second turbidity generating process occurs in every wash.

B330436F-B6CE-43AF-89EF-5EB828AF8429.png

Comparing turbidities of the filtrate against the wash water turbidity minus the filtrate turbidity indicates that the decline in turbidity caused by fines might be faster (orange line) than the decline in turbidity caused by the second stage process (blue line).

F5EFD846-BC1C-492D-82C1-0A8D4CBFABA1.png

With regards to the mass of the filtered fines, it is well correlated to the turbidity of the wash water (see plot). The intercept is not zero pribably because of the turbidity caused by stage two turbidity.

57A9BD40-4057-477F-8925-4B179942D838.png

Data that gave me a hint about what might be happening in the second turbidity generating process involved stirring washed sand in tap water for varying lengths of time (see plot below). This data makes clear that wash water turbidity rapidly increases with the time that sand is exposed to tap water. Interestingly, stirring aragonite sand for one hour in tap water resulted in wash water resembling a thin, translucent white paint. This last observation suggests that a crystallization or precipitation is occurring. But why?

8809F309-1F85-49D8-AE9C-676F8B64F479.png

The sand used in the experiments contains aragonite, a form of calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate has two major polymorphs or crystal forms, aragonite and calcite. Aragonite is typically formed by living organisms and is less stable than calcite, just like diamond is less stable than graphite. A manifestation of calcite stability is its lower solubility in water compared to aragonite. The consequence is that when aragonite dissolves in water (calcium carbonate is slightly soluble in freshwater), the concentration of calcium carbonate exceeds the solubility limit of calcite and crystals form. This dissolution-crystallization process can continue as long as there is aragonite present because crystallization continually removes calcium carbonate from solution, allowing more aragonite to dissolve. Stirring aragonite sand for an hour created a large amount of microscopic crystals that formed an emulsion-like mixture resembling thin paint. Can this process be inhibited?

By using 1000 ppm Ca++ (common ion effect) or 1000 ppm Mg++ (calcium carbonate crystallization inhibition) in tap water, turbidity can be reduced but not eliminated (see plot). Twenty percent isopropanol in tap water also diminishes turbidity to a similar extent.

E7C99E20-DD02-417B-8616-0B6AE437D052.png

To demonstrate that minimizing aragonite sand exposure is also beneficial for large scale sand washing, six kg of aragonite sand was washed eight times with ten liters of tap water each wash. I used a power drill equipped with a paint mixer to thoroughly mix the sand in a minimum amount of time. I discussed the power drill here

Mix time was 10 seconds. The trend in turbidity for the large scale washes was similar to that observed for the small scale pilot run (see plot).

2395E30E-2115-459A-A70C-3F3D3AF63D16.png

Samples of the wash water (photo below) show how turbidity caused by fines is quickly reduced and how persistently the wash water remains cloudy. Water is likely being wasted after the fourth wash.

6525DFB6-8584-41AC-951F-C2122AEDD9EF.jpeg
1674346618514.gif

BEEF6479-D0A9-427B-9BA1-55E900F6D251.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that not rinsing calcite sand with a dirty filter sock (three massive spoons worth(whatever that was)) removes any fines within 2 hrs. Without a sock takes 6 hrs. Pretty sure RODI acts differently, I roughly washed 1.85 kgs in 25 Ltrs RODI 12 hrs ago and the rinse water is still cloudy.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, would rinsing in saltwater be a better option? (Thinking old tank water from water changes…)

edit: I meant to reply to Dan
There’s a bag of worms, lol. Does the phosphate commonly contained in tapwater actually help stability in a new tank, since it’s readily adsorbed by sand of a lower phosphate concentration?

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, would rinsing in saltwater be a better option? (Thinking old tank water from water changes…)

edit: I meant to reply to Dan
I found Instant Ocean was better than tap water for reducing the haze but it’s not perfect. Rinsing with old aquarium water is an option if you have no concerns about potentially inoculating the sand with something from the older aquarium.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even seeing the data before, I'm still a little gobsmacked that the cloudiness that never ends is because we are dissolving the sand with every rinse.
So @Dan_P continuing my line of dumb questions, how would you rate these three solutions that hobbyists might easily have - in terms of preventing dissolution of aragonite sand?

1) tank water

2) Kalkwasser, saturated Calcium Hydroxide

3) Saturated sodium bicarbonate baking soda

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even seeing the data before, I'm still a little gobsmacked that the cloudiness that never ends is because we are dissolving the sand with every rinse.
So @Dan_P continuing my line of dumb questions, how would you rate these three solutions that hobbyists might easily have - in terms of preventing dissolution of aragonite sand?

1) tank water

The potential dissolution in 1 and 2 is going to be quite low, and if the tank water is high alk and pH, it may be negative.

2 will theoretically allow a tiny bit to dissolve but very tiny. Could be calculated. Likely to small to notice.

3 will allow some but still small. Could also be calculated.

I discuss dissolution here:

Dissolution of CaCO3 in Water Prior to Addition
The best way, in my opinion, to use calcium carbonate as a supplement is to dissolve it in fresh water prior to addition. In this sense, it can be used rather like limewater. One can rig up an automatic evaporation replacement system using appropriate pumps and float switches, and just use water saturated with CaCO3 instead of limewater. Alternatively, one can simply pour the saturated water into the tank each day. Unfortunately, the fact that you can add it this way is a mixed blessing. One reason that you can add it this way is that there is so little present that the carbonate does not drive up the pH too much.

So how much goes into solution? This question is rarely addressed directly, and it is because of one big complication: carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. In the case of limewater, it is partially destroyed by atmospheric carbon dioxide (producing insoluble CaCO3 from the dissolved calcium and hydroxide). In the case of calcium carbonate, however, the solubility is actually increased by mixing with carbon dioxide. The reason that the solubility is increased is that the carbon dioxide enters the water, becomes carbonic acid (equation 1), and largely combines with carbonate ions to form two bicarbonate ions (equation 2):

CO2 + H2O ⇔ H2CO3 ⇔ H+ + HCO3–
H+ + CO32- ⇔ 2HCO3–
The net effect is that the concentration of carbonate ions declines: since the solubility of calcium carbonate is governed by the multiplication product of the calcium and carbonate concentrations (equation 3), more calcium carbonate can dissolve to regain saturation.

KSP = [Ca2+][CO32-]
Knowing the KSP and some other constants, it is a textbook calculation to determine how much calcium carbonate can dissolve in pure water in the absence of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Pankow (Aquatic Chemistry Concepts; 1991) carries out this calculation for calcite (a slightly less soluble form of calcium carbonate than aragonite).

For those really interested in the chemical details, this calculation is actually much more complicated than it would first appear (i.e., more complicated than for a simple salt like NaCl). You cannot simply solve equation 3 for [Ca2+] and [CO32+]. You need to take into account the fact that some of the carbonate that comes from dissolution will be converted into bicarbonate (HCO3–) and even carbonic acid (H2CO3). This conversion permits more CaCO3 to dissolve before the carbonate concentration rises too high to dissolve any more. One also needs to take into account the fact that calcium can exist as CaOH+, which effectively lowers the calcium concentration (though not very extensively at pH values below 11).

From this calculation, we find that the solution at equilibrium contains about 6 ppm calcium and 0.3 meq/L alkalinity, and results in a pH of 10.0. If we correct this result for aragonite instead of calcite (which is slightly more soluble), we get about 10 ppm calcium and 0.5 meq/L alkalinity, with a pH of just over 10 (which is what about what I got when I initially dissolved both AragaMIGHT and Southdown aragonite sand in RO/DI water). For comparison, full strength limewater contains about 820 ppm calcium and 41 meq/L alkalinity.

The calculation is even more involved when atmospheric carbon dioxide is allowed to enter the system. Thankfully, Pankow has again done the calculations for us. In equilibrium with normal atmospheric carbon dioxide, the solubility is increased by about a factor of 3, with the alkalinity about 1 meq/L and the calcium about 20 ppm. In this case, the pH drops to about 8.3 as the carbon dioxide enters the system. Confirming Pankow’s calculation, this result is about what I got when I let both AragaMIGHT and Southdown aragonite sand sit in RO/DI water for a few days). Still, these calcium and alkalinity values are about 40X lower than for saturated limewater, so are likely not enough to satisfy the needs of most reef tanks.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) tank water

Here is some early data that I did not pursue further

The first plot shows what happens to each wash if left to stir, maybe in the hopes more mixing of the sand and tap water is better. The second plot shows how turbidity changes with mix time for various washes of clean sand (washed 4 times). Note this was a pilot run I never repeated. The rate of turbidity change is essentially the same for all treatments. The different zero time turbidities might be experimental variation. I simply don’t know.

So, to answer your question, the three substance would not have different effects on aragonite dissolution rate. I think the reason is that no matter the condition, temperature, pH, salinity, common ion, aragonite solubility will always be higher than calcite and crystallization will occur. I think the exception to this is the inhibition of calcium carbonate crystallization by Mg++, though even this is not absolute. Apparently an aragonite sand slurry behaves differently than sand exposed to large volumes of water, being more likely to convert to calcite. I got this from an abstract…the paper cost $50 to read and I chose not to pluck this apple from the tree of wisdom :)

7C233D75-293F-42D9-B699-6EF8B74CAEDA.png

D6823479-21DC-4CC1-81A4-DB994ECD8484.png

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy and Dan.
Solubility fundamentals are one of the topics that I must have slept through in chem class. So lots of potential for surprises.
So as a practical matter, using kalk or Sodium bicarbonate offer no demonstrable advantage over just using my saltwater.

Dan, after your various investigations does this sound sensible, if I told you it would be my method to prep new sand?
Dry shake through a seive, then a quick vigorous wash in saltwater 2 to 3 times. And move on.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy and Dan.
Solubility fundamentals are one of the topics that I must have slept through in chem class. So lots of potential for surprises.
So as a practical matter, using kalk or Sodium bicarbonate offer no demonstrable advantage over just using my saltwater.

Dissolution of a solid stops when the multiplication product of the concentrations of the components it turns into on dissolution hit a certain threshold, called the Ksp, the solubility product constant.

In this case, it is the concentration of calcium times the concentration of carbonate.

In any fluid lacking one of the components, such as kalkwasser lacking carbonate (at least until it is aerated) or sodium bicarbonate lacking calcium, the multiplication product is zero to start, and some amount of calcium carbonate can always dissolve.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan, after your various investigations does this sound sensible, if I told you it would be my method to prep new sand?
Dry shake through a seive, then a quick vigorous wash in saltwater 2 to 3 times. And move on.
I use tap water and do the last rinse with saltwater.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That leaves it in the sand or water, though.
No, it does not if you filter it. Many municipal water plants use it. It is safe and works extremely well. Here is a writeup from our website >>> PolyDADMAC flocculent is a polymeric flocculent used in water and wastewater treatment. It works by bridging small particles together to form larger, heavier particles that settle out of the water faster. It causes suspended particles in the water to clump together, forming larger particles which can then be settled out more quickly. This process is known as flocculation and is used prior to clarification and filtration to improve water quality and reduce the cost of treatment.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it does not if you filter it. Many municipal water plants use it. It is safe and works extremely well. Here is a writeup from our website >>> PolyDADMAC flocculent is a polymeric flocculent used in water and wastewater treatment. It works by bridging small particles together to form larger, heavier particles that settle out of the water faster. It causes suspended particles in the water to clump together, forming larger particles which can then be settled out more quickly. This process is known as flocculation and is used prior to clarification and filtration to improve water quality and reduce the cost of treatment.

What I do not get is its utility in washing sand. It will cover the sand as well as the fine particles and settle them out together. If you keep the sand, then you keep the polymer coating the sand AND you keep the fine flocculated particles as well.

We are not trying to clarify the water after it is removed from the sand.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if @taricha looked at the flocculation of calcium carbonate with other polyquats. I was thinking about using Vibrant to clarify sand rinses.
I did look at it.
The polyquat algaecides didn't show any reduction in aragonite cloudiness that I could measure in a cuvette.
(I also cultured up a cloudy bacterial bloom and then killed it with heat and couldn't measure any removal of cloudiness with the algaecides.)
That doesn't mean it wouldn't be detectable clearer through 2 ft of tank water, but in ~1cm nothing I could quantify.
I also didn't think to compare to the Seachem Clarity etc polymers like polyDADMAC specifically for clarifying.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back