The smallest fish in reefs power the ecosystem

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank is 225 gallons and 50% of my fish are 3" or less. They are always out swimming around. Maybe I've just had good luck picking overly social fish. :)

Royal Gramma
Orchid Dottyback
Flame Hawkfish
Neon Gobies
Yellowline Gobies
Diamond Watchman Goby
Six Line Wrasse
Percula Clowns
Resplendent Anthias

TomatoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Red Firefish and a Royal Gramma for a while, and just added a Yellow Watchman Goby. I will also be adding a Starry Blenny and an Azure Damsel in the coming weeks. I love small fish!

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get some more damsels. I had a single Starckii damsel for a while, then it probably died after a couple years. They're supposed to do well in small groups, it would be really neat to have a few of them darting amogst/under my rock work. I've also thought maybe about the Talbot's Damsel as a small group of fish.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had small fish in my tanks. I don't consider, anthias, watchman gobies or starry blennies as small. They are more medium to me. I almost always have a few Neon gobies . I just wish they lived longer than 3 years. I love watching them clean my larger fish. I currently have 4 neon gobies, a blue mandarin, 2 very small gobies I have forgotten the names of, a small clown (and a mated pair), a pipe fish, a fire fish and 2 scooter blennies in my 300 gallon.
I have 9 medium sized fish and 4 large fish. I am planning to get more small and medium fish.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to remember reading that peppermint shrimp lays a lot of eggs the are good for general food within the aquarium.

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting but I don't want to raise fish food in my main
I've always wanted a large tank just so I can have large fish in it but I think that if I ever do have a large tank ill try providing adequate housing for the smaller ones too.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back