The start of a clam only tank

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my idea of a zeroedge woody. The tank is 48x36x16 and has a U-shaped external overflow. The tank is constructed of 3/4 oak plywood that is doubled on all sides. The overflow is made of 2x4 and 2x6 borads. Im hoping i can acheive a nice smooth top because this will be mainly a look down tank except when sitting on the couch. It will be about waist high on the stand so it should be nice once its done. I still have to fiberglass the tank then cover it with some marine epoxy so its protected from the UV rays from the halides. I still have lots of work so it will be a while before its running. im guessing 2 months probably. Right now i have $150 in the tank, screws and glue and i ordered the fiberglass mat and resin today and that totaled 150 so im at $300 in the tank right now. If i were doing this with glass it would probably be $2000 plus shipping so im hoping i can save lots of money. Im looking at loading it up with nice size squamosa clams as well as little maximas from micronesia and vanautu. I will update once more happens.
Clam tank 013.jpg
Clam tank 011.jpg

Clam tank 012.jpg
Clam tank 010.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont plan on feeding anything but fish poop. I have kept clams for a long time and i never fed anything. I just feed my fish and they take care of the clams. Also i have connections with a clam farm and they keep the 1" ultra maxima clams and they told me they dont feed anything to the clams they just keep a nice amount of fish to do the work. Also this farm is not getting water from the ocean if your thinking they are getting water pumped in from the ocean. I have always kept the larger clam like squamosa and derasa with a couple of maximas but this will be my first with the really small ones. I can get them so cheap i thought it would be worth a try to see how they do.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree, I've never fed my clams ether. Just a healthy helping of fish poo and they do just fine. I think where the small clams get their bad rap is when people try to move them all the time and they get stressed out and die.

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is where im at with my new tank. I fiberglassed all the corners of the tank with resin and fiberglass mat, then i did the same to the overflow to have a good seal and some strength. I then sanded down the whole tank and preped it to coat the whole tank with resin. So in total i have 3 gallons of resin and 3 coats over the whole tank. All the imperfections in the wood were willed with autobody glaze. Its much thinner than bondo and sands really smooth. If you notice all the joints on top will are filled so that when you look at it you wont see any gaps on top. I have 4 holes drilled in the tank for the supply from the pump and i still need to drill the 1 1/2 holes for the 2 drains in the overflow. The Sweetwater epoxy should be here this week and the bulkheads and Spaflex pvc. So i will have more pictures once the tank is coated with epoxy. Im hoping to have it coated with epoxy late this week.
Clam tank 014.jpg
Clam tank 015.jpg
Clam tank 016.jpg
Clam tank 018.jpg
Clam tank 017.jpg

pencil.png

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it will be to expensive since i have a wholesale license and can get clams really cheap. I have contacts with a couple of clam farms and they are really cheap when you get them like that. I will get a bunch of clams shipped in and pick the ones i like and then sell the rest. I would like to have a store running where i would sell just clams. There are not really any store that have the really nice crocea and squamosa as WYSIWYG. I sold all my clams i had last time because i had a baby and didnt have time to maintain a tank anymore.

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where im at with the build. I have 5 coats of sweetwater epoxy paint on the tank. The good thing about this stuff is as long as you coat the tank within 24 hours you dont have to sand inbetween coats. I did sand some sags and dirt out of the paint but the rest is fine to paint over. I have all my bulkheads and flexpvc so once i get my glass ordered i should have this thing running within the month. I have everything to make the tank run and even water from my old tank with all the live rock in a huge tub so i shouldnt have to wait too long to have a reef tank again. But here are some pictures.

Clam tank 022.jpg
Clam tank 019.jpg
Clam tank 021.jpg
Clam tank 020.jpg

TooTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not wait to see this thing filled up with clams, I am sure with your hook ups it will be off the charts. Looking good...

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will you place the clams in the tank? What lights you going with?

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be lite by 2x250 watt metal halides with Lumen bright pendents. My plan right now is to make a couple of islands for the crocea and maxima to sit on and have some shelves for other to sit on. I have a place i deal with and i can get ssome man made live rock that are shelves kinda like the FHI rock. You can pick the size you are looking and they will find a piece for you. Then the bottom will be covered in ricordia that i will get from a private diver i have down there. He really gives me a good deal when i buy stuff from him. I also plan on having a few clumps of red st. thomas rics and red rock anemones scattered within the ricordia bed. The glass should be in this week. I hope.

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry i havent updated in a while. I have been busy at work. I have the tank in my house and is plumbed and running on a temporary pump. My dart has a crack in the volute and im waiting on the part to get here. But from what i can tell the top will look like a piece of glass. I have the rock in the sump and the sand in the tank so really now i just have to wait a couple of months and then i can start filling it with clams. It sucks seeing a tank full of water and nothing else. I will get some pictures up once the water clears up a little bit. What does everyone think would be a good single ended metal halide bulb. Im thinking a Reeflux 12K. I dont want to run any actinics so im thinking that would give me enough blue to make it look good. I would do some 20k bulbs but i need lots of par and they dont have much par value.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back