The start of a clam only tank

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the SE bulbs but I have always been a fan of the Pheonix 14k bulbs.

I would get some fish in there and not add any clams for at least 6 months after the fish are there. I rushed a tank once and lost thousands of dollars worth in clams due to what I believe was new tank syndrome and the clams not getting what they needed. The 3 clams in my signature pic were in the group that I lost.

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not going to rush this one but the water and rocks have been sitting together for 3 months and before that the tank was running for 3 years. So i think the water is mature enough. Im still going to wait a couple of months before i add lots of clams. I will get a cheap derasa to test the waters before i add anymore. I just need to get my fish in qt so i can add them to the tank. Im thinking about getting about 30 damsels and letting them own the tank with maybe a tang or 2.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on to a good plan! I once had a Damsel dart into my big Squamosa's inhalant siphon, I never saw the fish again but the clam didn't act like it hurt it at all. It didn't even try to spit it out, at least while I was watching. Just something to consider as Damsels are kinda flighty when startled.

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is where im at today. I just snapped some pictures and the tank has been running for 2 weeks now with water, rock and sand from my old system. Im going to let it run for a month or so before i add anything. I need to get my lights hung, calcium reactor installed, Tunze auto-top off running. I was thinking about ordering 25 yellow tail damsels and qt them all together and add them at once and see how that goes. I think it would be nice so see all the movement in the tank since the clams dont really move much. How do you think a damsel tank would work. I might add a couple small tangs to control the grazing. I still have a long way till its done but atleast its running.
Clam tank 023.jpg
Clam tank 024.jpg
Clam tank 025.jpg
Clam tank 026.jpg
Clam tank 027.jpg

Last edited:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! So have you thought about what types of clams and how many you are going to add?

Are you just going with Yellow Tail Damsels or do you plan on adding any other types too? I would add a Yellow Coris Wrasse as I have found that having one with my clams is very beneficial, also a Lawnmower Blennie can be quite comical to watch in a clam tank as they perch on the clams and kinda do a peek a boo thing.

What is your total water volume?

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to do a mix of clams maxima, crocea, squamosa and derasa. Probably more maxima and crocea than anything else. The others get too big too fast. Yea i have thought about a wrasse of some kind.If i do damsels like i want too they will be all the blue with yellow tails. They are not as aggressive as others and stay small.

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a update on where im at. I just had a new addition to the family and He weighed in at 9lbs 7ounces and was 21 inches long with a head full of hair. So things are moving along slow but thaats good cause then that gives things a chance to settle in. I have 2 clams (1 squamosa and a crocea), a blue hippo tang and a orange shoulder tang. Im still havent had the chance to set up my calcium reactor so im adding pickling lime to my top-off water to help with the calcium and alk . So far its keeping up. So here are the pictures.

Clam tank 029.jpg
Clam tank 030.jpg
Clam tank 031.jpg
Clam tank 034.jpg
Clam tank 037.jpg

findad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still havent had the chance to set up my calcium reactor so im adding pickling lime to my top-off water to help with the calcium and alk . So far its keeping up. QUOTE]

That was a a question I had, do you keep the calcium higher than a reef tank?? any other special perameters to maintan a clam tank?? What kinda flow will they require and type of sand is the best?? Sorry for the load of questions, but this is very interesting

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a update on where im at. I just had a new addition to the family and He weighed in at 9lbs 7ounces and was 21 inches long with a head full of hair. So things are moving along slow but thaats good cause then that gives things a chance to settle in. I have 2 clams (1 squamosa and a crocea), a blue hippo tang and a orange shoulder tang. Im still havent had the chance to set up my calcium reactor so im adding pickling lime to my top-off water to help with the calcium and alk . So far its keeping up. So here are the pictures.

Clam tank 029.jpg Clam tank 030.jpg Clam tank 031.jpg Clam tank 034.jpg Clam tank 037.jpg

Looking good! Nice looking clams too!

Im still havent had the chance to set up my calcium reactor so im adding pickling lime to my top-off water to help with the calcium and alk . So far its keeping up. QUOTE]

That was a a question I had, do you keep the calcium higher than a reef tank?? any other special perameters to maintan a clam tank?? What kinda flow will they require and type of sand is the best?? Sorry for the load of questions, but this is very interesting

With clams you just do the same things as a normal reef tank, no special params are required. Just stability and good lighting.

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as flow i have a reeflo dart running through 4 outlets and im guessing there is 2500 to 3000 gph running through the tank. You have to have a goo amount of water flowing to get the top to be smooth. There is probably a 1/8 of water that flows over the top of the tank into the overflow. The lights i have are 2x250 watt metal halide in small lumenbright reflectors with reeflux 12k bulbs. I also have dimmable ballast so i can dim the lights a little when i add new clams. When i first put in the squamosa it didnt really like the light so i had to dim them as much as i could to make it not bleach. As far as how many you can get in a tank is up to how much calcium you want to add and also you have to think about how big the clams will get. The deras and squamosa will grow 3-4 times faster then a maxima and a maxima will grow faster then a crocea. So if you stick with the maxima and crocea you you can put alot more then the others. Also for the substrate just let them attach to a rock then you can put them anywhere.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I agree with jfulmer, I once had a 120g tank with 34 clams in it. You just have to have fish in there as well because they take up the ammonia given off by the fish.

Boogie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look and construction of the tank. Really amazing! How is it about volume? Loud?

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank Is really quiet. The water doesnt splash once it leaves the tank it just follows the edge. I thought it would be louder then it is. If you think about it i have about 3000 gph running over a overflow thats 10 feet long. If you have a smaller overflow then the water is more rapid rather then a nice stream. Plus the water only drops about 1.5 inches so it doesnt fall very far in the overflow. There is probably 2 inches of water in the overflow at all times so it helps with reduces the noise alot.

OP
OP
J

jfulmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just wanted to give a little update. I just got 5 really nice looking clams so once they settle in i will get some pictures up. Right now i have 21 clams ranging from 1.5" to 7" I have derasa, squamosa, crocea and maxima. Im wondering what people think about running a clam only tank with bare bottom. I had to remove my sand because the fish poop was not getting carried out of the tank so now i turned all the returns down to the bottom of the tank so it keeps everything stirred up but with the sand i could not do this. Now i just have to suck out 2 corners where everything collects so its not too bad. I really like the look of a bare bottom it make the clams really stand out. I will get pictures up tonight.

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really neat setup Im just getting into clams. Whe you introduce them do you place a couple of rocks to each side to help prop them up until the foot attaches?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back