The struggle with sps

Okay take some water to the LFS and have them check with a refractometer. Also soak the hydrometer in the tank for a couple days they call it seasoning no joke. Most can be inaccurate not to say yours is but if you want to have better testing Results I suggest a seawater Refractometer like the Red Sea unit.
 
Agree that refractometer are. More. Accurate if calibrated properly.. But hydrometer are surprisingly accurate if kept very clean and used properly as well.. Most of the error with hydrometer is user related. And a refractometer removes. These.. My hydrometer and refractometer. Always agree with on another. [emoji14] but I only use the hydrometer for. Testing buckets of. Water.. Rely on the refract for telling me what my display is at. I run my salinity at 1.024/25.. And my sps grows great.. But I keep. My alk at 10 and Cal at. 460 mag. At. 1300-1360 so ide start by raising Cal... I would use a 2 part system only dosing the calcium part.. Not a fan of liquid calcium.. And kalk will raise both.. Let us know if that helps!
 
Okay take some water to the LFS and have them check with a refractometer. Also soak the hydrometer in the tank for a couple days they call it seasoning no joke. Most can be inaccurate not to say yours is but if you want to have better testing Results I suggest a seawater Refractometer like the Red Sea unit.

I use one of the floating ones but ill definitely get a refractometer
 
Agree that refractometer are. More. Accurate if calibrated properly.. But hydrometer are surprisingly accurate if kept very clean and used properly as well.. Most of the error with hydrometer is user related. And a refractometer removes. These.. My hydrometer and refractometer. Always agree with on another. [emoji14] but I only use the hydrometer for. Testing buckets of. Water.. Rely on the refract for telling me what my display is at. I run my salinity at 1.024/25.. And my sps grows great.. But I keep. My alk at 10 and Cal at. 460 mag. At. 1300-1360 so ide start by raising Cal... I would use a 2 part system only dosing the calcium part.. Not a fan of liquid calcium.. And kalk will raise both.. Let us know if that helps!

Okay yes this helps. Im going to go to an lfs this week so ill get everything checked.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new