The Uglies... Anything I should be doing? (NTS)

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I just have a case of the uglies. (New tank syndrome.). Anything I should be doing? I am not sure what is growing in the tank so not sure if I need to do anything.

Thanks.

Uglies%20-%201-XL.jpg
Uglies%20-%202-XL.jpg

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't see close enough in some of the images to tell. I see regular NTS and some nice coralline, but without higher magnification not much else (sorry).

The corralling is fake. :). It's "Liferock".

There is a brown film that is accumulating on the rock. I am guessing it is diatoms.

I filled the tank mid February.

Thanks.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do tangs eat diatoms? I have a bristletooth and convict that will be in the tank soon.
Yes, but they won’t be able to clear your tank from it.

New tanks will mainly have a diatom bloom from the silicates from the sand. Once the diatoms consume all the silicates, they will go away on their own.

Fun fact, silicates is a common compound that is purposely added to tap water in many cities. If you aren’t using RO/DI for water changes, top off, etc, then the diatoms might never go away because the silica will be replenished.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do tangs eat diatoms? I have a bristletooth and convict that will be in the tank soon.
Not in my experience. But pods do and some snails. Usually though the diatomes will break and give way to varied algal populations. That, is what tangs will eat. That tank looks great, just going through the various benthic layering stages accompanying dead rock cycling.
I may break from the norm here, but i have found that a heavy hand early on causes more issues than just letting it be its best ugly self for a bit. Just make sure that your nutrient levels dont get too low, then you get the nastier uglies.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, but they won’t be able to clear your tank from it.

New tanks will mainly have a diatom bloom from the silicates from the sand. Once the diatoms consume all the silicates, they will go away on their own.

Fun fact, silicates is a common compound that is purposely added to tap water in many cities. If you aren’t using RO/DI for water changes, top off, etc, then the diatoms might never go away because the silica will be replenished.

Interesting, thanks. I do use RODI.

BTW, I see you are in Miami. We will be in Miami later this year. Is the reef at the Frost Science museum worth a visit? Any other reef type places I should consider visiting? Maybe large stores? Thanks.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not in my experience. But pods do and some snails. Usually though the diatomes will break and give way to varied algal populations. That, is what tangs will eat. That tank looks great, just going through the various benthic layering stages accompanying dead rock cycling.
I may break from the norm here, but i have found that a heavy hand early on causes more issues than just letting it be its best ugly self for a bit. Just make sure that your nutrient levels dont get too low, then you get the nastier uglies.

Thanks!

Here is what the tank looked like a couple of weeks ago before the bloom... :)

BTW, here are my nutrient readings...

Nitrate: 13.8
Phosphate: 0.15

Last edited:

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like a brand new tank to me. After your first couple frags, you will start to see things like bubble algae, bryopsis, GHA, and other crap emerge. Totally normal. It will take about 6-12 months before everything balances out.

The use of dry rock and sand will leech phosphate and silicates into the water hence why all new tanks end up with diatoms then algae.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back