The ultimate diving and snorkeling thread!

What's your favorite Caribbean dive destination

• Aruba

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Bonaire

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Curacao

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Caymans

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Bahamas

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Roatan

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Belize

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Cozumel

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • Other..list in thread

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last day diving in St. Croix. Kept our string of seeing reef sharks every day alive.

This a picture from the coral restoration project in Cane Bay. These frags were approximately 2-3" a year ago. They are now culturing other species than the stags seen here as well.
Coral nusery farm (1 of 1).jpg
Coral nusery farm3 (1 of 1).jpg
Yellow porites growing back on top of coral rubble from the hurricane.
Porites regrowth (1 of 1).jpg

Literally acres of Porites (most common SPS in this area)
Porites regrowth2 (1 of 1).jpg
Christmas Tree worm (1 of 1).jpg
Parrot Fish (1 of 1).jpg
Cucumber (1 of 1).jpg Green Moray (1 of 1).jpg

Nate1632

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20b39cf31ff9f5c8cf6059715cce8f92.jpg
ea71d1ef3d19e73bc600bc1a61a66d19.jpg
f1461fc561935837d2e311b86f96fc9a.jpg
Went to the Blue Hole at Ichetucknee Springs State park the other day to freedive. Thought I’d share a few of the gopro pictures. It’s a really cool spring and I wish I got better photos of the inside of the hole.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curacao is a dump bud, im sure the diving is good but the people/island is just a mess. Bonaire or Aruba are much nicer!

Lived there for several years and have spent lots of time on Bonaire as well.
Just have to know your way around. The diving is quite good with some spectacular sites as well.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
open water certified now, time to plan the next trip!

Congratulations! Have a great time!

Congratulations. If Curacao looks inviting, let me know.

I loved Curacao. We stayed at West Punt and used Go West dive shop. Found some great little local restaurants on that end of the island. Stayed at Kura Hulanda Resort and it was nice. Go West has a fantastic house reef you can dive any time you want. Just go grab a tank and it's a short 50 yard swim to the reef.

We go to dive and don't give a flip about night life. If that's what you're seeking then West Punt is not the place for you. If you want to dive, relax, eat and repeat it's great.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! Have a great time!

I loved Curacao. We stayed at West Punt and used Go West dive shop. Found some great little local restaurants on that end of the island. Stayed at Kura Hulanda Resort and it was nice. Go West has a fantastic house reef you can dive any time you want. Just go grab a tank and it's a short 50 yard swim to the reef.

We go to dive and don't give a flip about night life. If that's what you're seeking then West Punt is not the place for you. If you want to dive, relax, eat and repeat it's great.

I worked with Go West and the images on the windows are mine ( or were). Hope you got to eat at Sol Food. They are great friends. The KH went bankrupt but there may be an effort underway to bring it back.
Still I love that end of the island. Several wonderful dive site, Alice in Wonderland was the house reef.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did eat at Sol Food...twice. First place I ever had Lionfish, it was great. Hate to hear that about Kura Hulanda. It was a nice place.

Whatever you do, don't leave your camera on the boat or this is what the dive masters will do. :D

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!

Start up some specialties such as Nitrox, Dry Suit, Deep Dive, Rescue, and really get comfortable. :)
that is the plan, need to wait till it is warmer here to move onto more advanced items, i plan to get to rescue diver cert then figure out from there if I want to be a DM. My local shop is looking for a few additional DM/Instructors but im a long way off for that right now.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We actually did our Nitrox before our AOW. I love the extra bottom time and even though it may be placebo effect I feel much better when diving Nitrox.......helps us old folks out. They don't call it geezer gas for nothing!

After AOW I would do rescue and then what ever floats your boat. Even if you don't want to be a DM you will be well on your way to your Master Diver.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back