The ultimate diving and snorkeling thread!

What's your favorite Caribbean dive destination

• Aruba

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Bonaire

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Curacao

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Caymans

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Bahamas

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Roatan

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Belize

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Cozumel

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • Other..list in thread

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome stuff. How do you like the night diving? Never been since I just Freedive, but I imagine it’s gotta be beautiful yet eerie.

And yeah I typically try to be aware of the surroundings, more so if I’ve seen a shark recently. I remember trying to dive for a black grouper in an area where reef sharks seemed to be a on a timed rotation - zipping over the area for 5 minutes, then gone for another 5. Having to time your descent with that in mind is definitely a full-concentration task.

Also, how do you embed your videos in the post?

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all of those were in Belize but a lot of them were. We dove with a company that's not in business there any more, can't remember the name but they were on the property of Sunbreeze Hotel. The Blue Hole trip was with Amigos Del Mar.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome stuff. How do you like the night diving? Never been since I just Freedive, but I imagine it’s gotta be beautiful yet eerie.

And yeah I typically try to be aware of the surroundings, more so if I’ve seen a shark recently. I remember trying to dive for a black grouper in an area where reef sharks seemed to be a on a timed rotation - zipping over the area for 5 minutes, then gone for another 5. Having to time your descent with that in mind is definitely a full-concentration task.

Also, how do you embed your videos in the post?

I absolutely love night diving. You see so many critters then you don't see during the daytime. Almost always see octopus, lobsters and crabs. It's cool to see the tangs and other fish in their night time colors...don't even look like the same fish.

One of the most eerie dives was in Cozumel. It was our very first night dive and we dove Paradise Reef which is pretty close to one of the cruise ship moorings. It was a great dive and we were seeing all kinds of neat stuff. All of the sudden we heard this noise that sounded like a big boat but it wasn't on the surface. It got closer and closer and a small submarine appeared with a bunch of tourists gawking at us through the port holes. LOL.

Right now there is a problem with directly embedding videos from your computer but you can do it from a hosting site by clicking the three horizontal dots and downward carot to the right of the smiley face. Then copy and past your URL and enter. Eventually we should be able to do it without a hosting site. Looking forward to that.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love night diving. You see so many critters then you don't see during the daytime. Almost always see octopus, lobsters and crabs. It's cool to see the tangs and other fish in their night time colors...don't even look like the same fish.

One of the most eerie dives was in Cozumel. It was our very first night dive and we dove Paradise Reef which is pretty close to one of the cruise ship moorings. It was a great dive and we were seeing all kinds of neat stuff. All of the sudden we heard this noise that sounded like a big boat but it wasn't on the surface. It got closer and closer and a small submarine appeared with a bunch of tourists gawking at us through the port holes. LOL.

Right now there is a problem with directly embedding videos from your computer but you can do it from a hosting site by clicking the three horizontal dots and downward carot to the right of the smiley face. Then copy and past your URL and enter. Eventually we should be able to do it without a hosting site. Looking forward to that.
Night diving is my absolute favorite!
On a night diving a few years back in cozumel we saw a fat splendid toadfish. Last January, went a few times and saw 2.
We go to Cozumel just to night dive with a big guy named Nacho, he finds everything.
Ill see if my wife has pics.

We are diving in San Diego next week, I lived there for 12 years and never did dive there. Gonna be great to go home and get underwater.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night diving is my absolute favorite!
On a night diving a few years back in cozumel we saw a fat splendid toadfish. Last January, went a few times and saw 2.
We go to Cozumel just to night dive with a big guy named Nacho, he finds everything.
Ill see if my wife has pics.

We are diving in San Diego next week, I lived there for 12 years and never did dive there. Gonna be great to go home and get underwater.

Love Splendid Toadfish! As I recall they are endemic to Cozumel and one other place?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Splendid Toadfish! As I recall they are endemic to Cozumel and one other place?
Correct. It's my wifes favorite creature to find while there, except sharks, she is a huge shark conservationist. Unfortunately we never see sharks in cozumel, with exception of Playa during bull season.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the other place they're found....Glover's Reef, Belize. That's where the two dives we did after the Blue Hole were. Amazing dives there. The ***** rookery was cool to see too.

Video doesn't do it justice.

Back