The ultimate safety device that protects your tank for failing ato's and dosers

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, why haven't i heard of a device that shuts off your doser or ATO in case they don't stop filling and potentially kill your tank?
This seems not so hard to built and was thinking about a diy project but after some more research i found an existing device already doing that.

You simply stick the powercord of your doser and ato (the pump) in the power inlet of the device and it will shut down power as soon as a sensor (which you place in your sump right above the waterlevel) notices water.
So in case your ATO or doser doesn't stop this device will stop them by shutting off the power.

Yes that sensor can fail too like all sensors but when it does it won't flood your tank or anything. It's just an extra safety device.

The device is called H-tronic WPS1000 V2

Wasserpegelschalter-WPS1000.jpg

OP
OP
H

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this do that an Tunze Osmolator does not? The best ATOs only fail to run, they don't fail on... there are a few of those out there.
What the device does is shutting down your ato in case it doesn't stop filling by itself.
Please don't say this never happens. Plenty of horrorstories on the inet, even with Tunzes.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, why haven't i heard of a device that shuts off your doser or ATO in case they don't stop filling and potentially kill your tank?
This seems not so hard to built and was thinking about a diy project but after some more research i found an existing device already doing that.

You simply stick the powercord of your doser and ato (the pump) in the power inlet of the device and it will shut down power as soon as a sensor (which you place in your sump right above the waterlevel) notices water.
So in case your ATO or doser doesn't stop this device will stop them by shutting off the power.

Yes that sensor can fail too like all sensors but when it does it won't flood your tank or anything. It's just an extra safety device.

The device is called H-tronic WPS1000 V2

Wasserpegelschalter-WPS1000.jpg
So, I am dealing with the reverse issue. The ATO not coming on because it gets gunked up. The only thing I have come up with is to add a nano powerhead to keep the water stirred up.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autoaqua sells an outlet connected to a optical sensor called the Smart Level Security. They also sell another, similar outlet and sensor marketed for skimmers.

You could also use an optical sensor connected to an Apex.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Yes, but they still can fail. It happened. The device i mentioned is just an extra safety.
And it works for dosers too.
I think you're thinking of just a tunze ATO. The tunze osmolator is a control box that incorporates all of the features of the device you posted. It has high and low sensors, as well as a timer for auto shut off.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how an Osmolator would do this. It has a timer in addition to a float switch and an optical eye. Never heard of one of these failing except for dummies that let the ATO hose back siphon. Does, or did, Tunze sell a device without a timer?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back