brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan

Post up any work threads you have.

I already know you have personal experience, Im asking for work threads bc they allow me to check for patterns/see if conclusions are similar

if none avail that's ok/work threads are very hard to run

work thread=any invasion tank you appeared in during invasion then stayed until clean after pics were earned. Any tank other than your own you guided online etc...w take a single example. if possible to get a thread of ten, we'll have real patterns to check out. *Make a work thread if you don't have one, that way next time we'll have some collected examples~ten if possible would be an ideal start to test concepts

Last edited:

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan

Post up any work threads you have.

I already know you have personal experience, Im asking for work threads bc they allow me to check for patterns/see if conclusions are similar

if none avail that's ok/work threads are very hard to run, stinging accountability in fact~

work thread=any invasion tank you appeared in during invasion then stayed until clean after pics were earned. w take a single example. if possible to get a thread of ten, we'll have real patterns to check out. *Make a work thread if you don't have one, Ill check it out. Make it today in the nuisance algae forum if you will~
FWIW, to some the aggressive methods you employ are too much. Successful or otherwise. The practically militant defense when anyone who doesn't like your method says anything is off putting as well.

argi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a long time employee in this hobby...I love the customer who will bounce from employee to employee until they get the answer they want and then when it doesn't work blames the shop/store saying they said it would work. Sure the other 4 said no, but that one said yes. Ugh.

Sorry to side track, let's hear others!!!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sde1500
Ive asked for work threads here and in prior threads, that's where I based my recommend on never allowing an uglies phase/purposeful invasion phase. I rarely get even a single example when asking, its offputting like you mentioned.

You guys certainly don't mind challenging the recommend in quotes, nobody called you out :) so I know if I just ask for a single work example the back n forth slows greatly and the greater recommend will still and always be to purposefully wreck your tank.

That keeps us busy in our work threads, continue on if you think its right.

*remember its not as serious as you guys like to make it... we're simply saying that if you have a nano or a shallow tank, clean the filth out at the start, don't let it compound to a cyano or dinos invasion that takes 5 months to clear...cleaning isn't harmful.

The rates of loss from all sizes of tanks nowadays is totally unacceptable and one way to reduce that is to consider not repeating the errors of the past though it works for 30%.

Im aware that the majority of reefers will still self invade. The % we show how to not do that sure like the method.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/does-microbactor-clean-work.605678/#post-6110889

That particular tank has been trying to undo the uglies phase twenty months. You guys indirectly caused that, by supporting the venture to there and back (one day)

See how many people stick around long term to try and fix tanks that follow blanket advice but don't comply? Crickets...
people who advise someone being so hands off permanently that their systems are invade to the point of excluding all corals is circulating untested advice.

My tests find the polar opposite, and, people are happy in our work threads :)

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Get an all-in-one (tank). That way you won't have to buy or even need a skimmer."
"It will take a long time for this fish to outgrow your tank."
"Do you have tangs? Cause if you do, they will eat this alga right off the plug, no problem."

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Oh this Angel doesn’t eat corals.”
Yes. This is one that happened right before Christmas. My LFS was having a big sale on fish, etc. I ended up picking up a dwarf angel because the guy at the store said this type doesnt really go after coral. Well tell that to my bowerbinki with a dozen chunks taken out of it. I tore my bicep tendon on Christmas eve shortly after purchasing the fish. That Saturday my wife and I had to remove all the rock and catch the fish all the while I was in a sling waiting for surgery.

That was some great advice.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"RODI water is a waste and not necessary, tap water will be fine"
I use tap for fowlr it works out fine. Ive got some algea issues thats ok. It just has fish. Adds a little movement to the tank.

My reef is a whole different story

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice I got one time from a bottle of Sechem Paraguard back in the day: "Add daily until no more symptoms are present". Fish ded. They probably changed that label by now. I sent them an angry email asking for replacement fish, they told me to pound sand. Thanks Seachem!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a very long time since I actually asked for ‘advice’ ..... usually it’s me giving me bad advice. I can get one more fish, right? Of course, how much of a problem could it possibly be! How hard can it be to build your own skimmer? Don’t worry, it’ll self seal .....

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be true without further information:). Unless you're buying a trident on ebay for $3000
Not when powerheads with equal GPH, lights with equal PAR and comparable spectra, and coral frags all have a 5- to 10-fold range of prices for functionally equivalent items :)

"You get what you pay for" appears to be about as far from true in the aquarium hobby as in the purchase of a car.. but its repeated all the time anyway.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"RODI water is a waste and not necessary, tap water will be fine"

Ummm...I’ve been using tap water for 2 yrs. No conditioner. No problem. FOWLR. Upgrading to mixed reef. Switching to RO. Depends hugely on the tap water too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back