The WORST advice EVER!!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the worst advice you have ever gotten when it comes to saltwater reef aquariums?

Untitled-9.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pet peeve regarding advice common in the hobby:

all your early invasions are normal. Leave them in. Its the uglies phase, it goes away on its own
I followed that, seeded my tank with red invasive brush algae, and then had to take it down a few years later.

unacceptable start, totally opposite next round followed.

(every does that initially, its what has been circulated in the hobby. we spend twenty years developing invasion stop methods to undo the advice for the 70%~ it never goes away, do not allow your new easily accessible aquarium to get racked with invasion, simply refuse this condition, lift out your rock, and blast it off creatively. I know seven ways off the top of my head, you search some)

People are told to sit there and watch any manner of invaders totally take over a tank, then work back slowly, hopefully, hesitantly, through the water only while trying to add animals to the setup. Recipe for the reason we have massive, massive invasion and dinos and loss within the hobby from biological means not just hardware/error issues.

Once you hand guide to maturity, meaning like your garden with dandelions that require direct assistance initially then healthy grass chokes them out (corals, same) the work lessens and you can back off. if you start with purposeful invasion, you have a 70% chance of having to reinvest again at one point or become part of a rescue thread. Don't own a system so large or so densely stacked that you can't simply guide it into looking great vs letting it wreck/unwreck

*where possible, you just lift up the rocks out of the water, kill off the algae, nothing is harmed, and you save yourself a thousand bucks

Cycling is for bacteria it has literally nothing to do with letting your tank get overrun with algae or cyano. *we see those invasions and tank -losses- with ANY aged system, any tank can get the uglies at any time, when the tank is new you have the easier time hand guiding it vs when it’s packed in coral

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the worst advice you have ever gotten when it comes to saltwater reef aquariums?

Untitled-9.jpg

I needed a large tank - my reef store (former) had a 200 gallon tank with stand that he just got in trade 'it was in 'excellent'shape'... It wasn't. 6 months later - bought a new tank and stand

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pet peeve regarding advice common in the hobby:

all your early invasions are normal. Leave them in. Its the uglies phase, it goes away on its own

(then we spend twenty years developing invasion stop methods to undo the advice for the 70%~ it never goes away)

People are told to sit there and watch any manner of invaders totally take over a tank, then work back slowly, hopefully, hesitantly, through the water only while trying to add animals to the setup. Recipe for the reason we have massive, massive invasion and dinos and loss within the hobby from biological means not just hardware/error issues.

The counter option: permit no invasion ever, disallow it from day one if you chose to build a system that lets you access the invaded areas for simple hand guiding. Simply opting out of the uglies phase and never self infecting is a new option we like to replace the old one with.

Once you hand guide to maturity, the work lessens and you can back off. if you start with purposeful invasion, you have a 70% chance of having to reinvest again at one point or become part of a rescue thread. Don't own a system so large or so densely stacked that you can't simply guide it into looking great vs letting it wreck/unwreck

I was going to say the worst advice ever was this insane all out warfare against nature.

But he jumped up and offered it again.

Thanks for stating it for me.

LOL!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only bad advice I recieved has been from new inexperienced employees at LFS when I first started out. Although, I haven't really had any "bad" advice it is due to forums like Reef2Reef and others. These forums have helped guide me through reef keeping and one of the only reasons I am able to be successful(somewhat). :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back