The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense but I really hope you accidentally miss any photo contest involving wrasse. I have no chance if you enter anything…
;) :face-with-tears-of-joy:
How did you get thay jordani and geoffroy?

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, thanks.

C. lineatus
BW5A8148.jpg

If there's a POTM for wrasse, can I enter this one?

P. hemitaeniatus
BW5A9007.jpg

I cannot catch this guy flashing....yet

BW5A9298.jpg
I can't catch any of my flashing

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, still alive. Leopard wrasse can live up to 10 years and fairy wrasse have a 7 year life expectancy so hopefully alive for years to come.
Fairies can live for 7 years IF grown from juveniles or females - true juveniles could push for 8-10 years.

Leopards can also live for 10-12 years if grown from small juveniles and its dependant on species IME.

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who have had their Meleagris Leopard Wrasse from juvenile/female to male, what were the early signs of the wrasse transitioning?

My Meleagris is beginning to show some blue and green colouration in place of the white on its chin and face, and having seen some other transitioning males recently, it looks fairly similar.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who have had their Meleagris Leopard Wrasse from juvenile/female to male, what were the early signs of the wrasse transitioning?

My Meleagris is beginning to show some blue and green colouration in place of the white on its chin and face, and having seen some other transitioning males recently, it looks fairly similar.
It is a sign but my bipartitus started showing green over a year ago and is still yet to even start really transitioning. @SaltyT @i cant think

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having my big wrasse in QT together without all the rock work to break up territory is causing some strife. The dragon and the Lunare are teaming up on the red coris. Not causing issues yet but a little worrying.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having my big wrasse in QT together without all the rock work to break up territory is causing some strife. The dragon and the Lunare are teaming up on the red coris. Not causing issues yet but a little worrying.

Maybe some egg crate can be used as a divider? I’ve dealt with bullying in QT before, and using the egg crate to partition the victim helped stop things from progressing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a photo?

It’s hard to say if it is actually a sign as even the juvenile colour phase is different to the female colours.

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought home a diamond goby from a local hobbiest and my larger H Chrysus has been attacking him non stop. No other fish even glance at him.Had to put the goby in the sump until I can find him a better home.

He’s the king of the tank so far and I introduced with the lights off. Is this a sign that I’m done stocking timid fish, or does he just hate this one in particular? Maybe the goby was too close to his sleeping quarters in the sand? My next fish was going to be a Naoko, should I be worried?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought home a diamond goby from a local hobbiest and my larger H Chrysus has been attacking him non stop. No other fish even glance at him.Had to put the goby in the sump until I can find him a better home.

He’s the king of the tank so far and I introduced with the lights off. Is this a sign that I’m done stocking timid fish, or does he just hate this one in particular? Maybe the goby was too close to his sleeping quarters in the sand? My next fish was going to be a Naoko, should I be worried?
You need an acclimation box. I added a naoke and pintail to my established chrysus and babi no problem. I also had them in my observation tank and qt for 2 months to settle in before going to DT.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite LFS had a female Tono fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Tonozukai) today. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a Tono in person, it’s been many years, and my first time seeing a female.

IMG_0810.jpeg

The males are very vibrant, and I found myself wondering why they aren’t seen or talked about very much. Here’s a picture of a male that I found on the internet.

IMG_0823.jpeg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 117 42.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 131 48.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back