The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geoffroyi is in Hawaii, right? So I'd like to pick up a jordani, a geoffroyi, a hawaiian cleaner (hrm, maybe not) and a yellow tang. Anything else Hawaiian I should consider?

Next, buying hand nets and working on holding my breath...

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geoffroyi is in Hawaii, right? So I'd like to pick up a jordani, a geoffroyi, a hawaiian cleaner (hrm, maybe not) and a yellow tang. Anything else Hawaiian I should consider?

Next, buying hand nets and working on holding my breath...
The chrysocephalus of course! And the venusta.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is that first flasher? I'm no wrasse expert, but I've been really wary about "super males". Seems like an expensive fish that's probably already in it's golden years.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How old is that first flasher? I'm no wrasse expert, but I've been really wary about "super males". Seems like an expensive fish that's probably already in it's golden years.
No clue. I just saw this on Instagram.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if you have let say 100 of each, and or more Yellow Tangs, Potters Wrasses, Hawaiian Clearer Wrasses and Potters angelfish to name a few, you should be ok
No not even that. Like just one fish and they’re just like: no liquids but I have to then explain it’s a fish… I don’t know. It seems like more stress then it’s worth.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my. I just got my first wrasse. Peaceful. Two regal angels, foxface, copperband, black and white pyramid, white tail bristle tooth tang and a few other peaceful smaller fish. Tank is 6 feet long. Can I add a few other reef safe ones? On a bit of a budget. Suggestions anyone?

Shelley

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my. I just got my first wrasse. Peaceful. Two regal angels, foxface, copperband, black and white pyramid, white tail bristle tooth tang and a few other peaceful smaller fish. Tank is 6 feet long. Can I add a few other reef safe ones? On a bit of a budget. Suggestions anyone?

Shelley
What wrasse? And of course you could have half a dozen to a whole dozen in that size tank.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shelley
Plotting Drag Race GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

6 ft tank? Time to start living vicariously!

All the wrasses. All of them.

Seriously, I would try out an Anampses, a Halichoeres, a leopard and a few fairies/flashers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shelley
A nahackyi fairy? ;)

Just imagine you take out the first number

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh crap. I didn’t know you lost the navarchus
That was the worst of the two deaths. Ironically more money went into the coral beauty but the navarchus was the one that hit the hardest.

Think I’ll have 1 other angel (either another juvenile Navarchus or a juvenile of another nice species) and replace my CB with a nice wrasse - if the Jade is removed I may pick up a male radiant.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No not even that. Like just one fish and they’re just like: no liquids but I have to then explain it’s a fish… I don’t know. It seems like more stress then it’s worth.
I think that's why most people find a local shop, buy a box and whatever temperature stuff they need for shipping and pay overnight to their house the day they're leaving.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Shelley
Halichoeres Melanurus, Leucoxanthus, Chrysus, or Garnoti (or two or three of those) are peaceful in my experience. I have a Melanurus and Leucoxanthus in my 6' tank.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a quick pic or 2 of everyone in the 240 gallon FOWLR tonight! The secretive wrasse holds his own with all the big guys in this tank, 0 problem. I still have a hortulanus in quarantine waiting to go in here as well, just want to make sure he's 100% perfect before joining the gauntlet in this tank.

You can really see the spotting starting to come in on the face of the broomtail. Slowly but steadily growing. Can't wait for adult colors. Usually she's a LOT brighter colored, she always fades really dark colored whenever she sees the phone come up to the front of the tank. The coloring is also starting to come in nicely on the bivittatus and the hardwickes!

20240108_182417.jpg
20240108_182412.jpg
20240108_182123.jpg
20240108_182111.jpg
20240108_182030.jpg
20240108_181906.jpg
20240108_181753.jpg
20240108_181855.jpg

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow-up questions about pink streaked wrasse grouping.

What is the ideal number of pink streaked wrasse for a group? Is this determined by the tank size, or the behaviours of the wrasse?

Will the wrasse become aggressive with each other, and in the case that another becomes male, will that result in aggression?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the ideal number of pink streaked wrasse for a group? Is this determined by the tank size, or the behaviours of the wrasse?

Will the wrasse become aggressive with each other, and in the case that another becomes male, will that result in aggression?
There’s no exact science. If you had a group of females the most dominant one would transition to male faster. A dominant male will likely slow down the transition of any other females. Males don’t want competition so will fight off any other males for dominance. Wrasse all trend to male so eventually you would probably end up with two males.

Generally you would not mix multiples of the same species with wrasse though it is safer with smaller species as they can set up multiple territories in a tank.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no exact science. If you had a group of females the most dominant one would transition to male faster. A dominant male will likely slow down the transition of any other females. Males don’t want competition so will fight off any other males for dominance. Wrasse all trend to male so eventually you would probably end up with two males.

Generally you would not mix multiples of the same species with wrasse though it is safer with smaller species as they can set up multiple territories in a tank.

I'm also curious, since I have a pair now, if they always trend to male resulting in a transition or if some live their full lives as females. @jkcoral how long have you had your pair?

They are too cute to think of as deadly murder beasts!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It entirely depends on tank size with how many you could have.

Naturally, they’re found in small groups of 3-5 and sometimes (although less common) in pairs. However how many you could have within that group is based on territory.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back