The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a quick question for anyone browsing this thread- picking up a rhomboid super male this morning. I’ve been told I can drop dairy wrasses into copper power 2.5. Any had experience with this one? Treating my 310g with copper at 2.55, removed all coral due to velvet outbreak

Do you have a separate tank? Others might have better advice or suggestions, but I’d personally put them in an observation tank, get them eating and making sure they are pretty strong before getting into copper.

This is just my opinion, but wrasses always seemed to get hammered by copper (and I almost never use it nowadays) and I would be hesitant to immediately expose a fairy wrasse to those levels without a little ramping up (back in the day I’d ramp up levels over 7 days)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My holy grail fish! One I can never seem to get a hold of, or I won't pay the asking price.
At least you’ve seen them in the flesh haha.

I’ve been trying to get mine for a year and on 3 occasions nearly had one. Most recent attempt was a DOA. At this point I could see a happy one at 500 or more and go for it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a quick question for anyone browsing this thread- picking up a rhomboid super male this morning. I’ve been told I can drop dairy wrasses into copper power 2.5. Any had experience with this one? Treating my 310g with copper at 2.55, removed all coral due to velvet outbreak
I wouldn’t, this is an already sensitive wrasse and you’ll be throwing it into a tank already at 2.55 with copper.

If you’re treating, you shouldn’t be getting new fish if I’m honest.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! Wish my RFAs would do that. I have two unidentified nem-like objects on my rocks I'll send you pics of tomorrow and let me know if you think they are babies!

How many rock flowers do you have?

I had a big, big spawn on January 27th (a lot more males got in on the action) and just had some babies show up in the last 3-4 days. If yours showed up pretty recently, there’s a chance we had similar spawning dates.

IMG_3821.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is up and running! I lost one wrasse during the upgrade unfortunately, the finifenmaa.

For anyone interested, the Dimensions are 5’x27”x26”
IMG_9962.jpeg

Let’s get some ideas for wrasses!! Currently I’m thinking;
Kaleidos Pencil (P’juloides kaleidos)
Splendid Pencil (P’juloides splendens)
Lineatus Fairy (C’labrus lineatus)
Diamond Tail Flasher (P’cheilinus attenuatus)
Red Hooded Fairy (C’labrus efatensis/bathyphylus)
Black Leopard (M’ryngodon negrosensis)
Meleagris Leopard (M’ryngodon meleagris)
Radiant (H’choeres iridis) - to form a pair again
Dusky Fairy (C’labrus brunneus)

Last edited:

HorribleParameters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you’ve seen them in the flesh haha.

I’ve been trying to get mine for a year and on 3 occasions nearly had one. Most recent attempt was a DOA. At this point I could see a happy one at 500 or more and go for it.
That sucks. My first Choat was from WWC website, and my most recent one was from Saltwaterfish.com. Both arrived healthy. So I’d count myself lucky. If I were you, I’d subscribe to all the email notifications on all the websites that sell Choat’s. Gives you a better shot at picking one up.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many rock flowers do you have?

I had a big, big spawn on January 27th (a lot more males got in on the action) and just had some babies show up in the last 3-4 days. If yours showed up pretty recently, there’s a chance we had similar spawning dates.

IMG_3821.jpeg
Feeling a lot more confident today that these are RFA babies and not aiptasia or something else! Put a black light on them and they are fluorescing. They are in a weird, very dim part of the tank, though, with no direct light. We'll see. I'll start feeding them phyto and oyster feast!
1712768617414.jpeg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling a lot more confident today that these are RFA babies and not aiptasia or something else! Put a black light on them and they are fluorescing. They are in a weird, very dim part of the tank, though, with no direct light. We'll see. I'll start feeding them phyto and oyster feast!
1712768617414.jpeg

Yup, those are babies. I bet you have more you can’t see yet. Loss rates are high, but feeding consistent will help!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finifenmaa is that species - Rubrisquamis is now believed to look like the Vibranium Fairy (C. wakanda).
Do you mean my rosy scale looks like Vibranium? It’s completely different - am I showing my total newbieness and you are talking about different species? I get soo confused in the wrasse world. Lol.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is up and running! I lost one wrasse during the upgrade unfortunately, the finifenmaa.

For anyone interested, the Dimensions are 5’x27”x26”
IMG_9962.jpeg

Let’s get some ideas for wrasses!! Currently I’m thinking;
Kaleidos Pencil (P’juloides kaleidos)
Splendid Pencil (P’juloides splendens)
Lineatus Fairy (C’labrus lineatus)
Diamond Tail Flasher (P’cheilinus attenuatus)
Red Hooded Fairy (C’labrus efatensis/bathyphylus)
Black Leopard (M’ryngodon negrosensis)
Meleagris Leopard (M’ryngodon meleagris)
Radiant (H’choeres iridis) - to form a pair again
Dusky Fairy (C’labrus brunneus)
ooooh; an @i cant think Wrasse Build from scratch!

Start popping the popcorn; gonna be epic!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean my rosy scale looks like Vibranium? It’s completely different - am I showing my total newbieness and you are talking about different species? I get soo confused in the wrasse world. Lol.
I mean your rosey scale isn’t a rubrisquamis anymore and is instead now classified as finifenmaa :)

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean your rosey scale isn’t a rubrisquamis anymore and is instead now classified as finifenmaa :)
Aahhh, ok. Thank you.

So now that I have two wrasses, I am only going to get one more.

I have the Mel who while still juvenile in personality and age, is growing into a big boi.

And now the new, very smol, Rosy Scale.

In your opinion, what would be another wrasse that will complement these two with the least agression? Can you give me your top 2-3 to choose from. I know you have given me suggestions, but that was before the Rosy purchase and I wasn’t sure if that changes the list or not.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aahhh, ok. Thank you.

So now that I have two wrasses, I am only going to get one more.

I have the Mel who while still juvenile in personality and age, is growing into a big boi.

And now the new, very smol, Rosy Scale.

In your opinion, what would be another wrasse that will complement these two with the least agression? Can you give me your top 2-3 to choose from. I know you have given me suggestions, but that was before the Rosy purchase and I wasn’t sure if that changes the list or not.
My finifenmaa was perfect with any wrasses! I currently only have 2 fairies and 1 flasher;
Carpenteri Flasher
Aquamarinus Fairy
Flavidorsalis Fairy

I have had the Diamond Tail and Madagascan Half Bar with my Fini. Both eventually just withered away unfortunately but this was most likely because I was at my limit with fish and the tang especially was too aggressive.

Wrasse wise, that list I’m looking at going for should get along with a finifenmaa.
Here’s a few others I’m considering that will get along with a fini. I don’t personally work off of the chart anymore but I do recommend that if you’re still unsure of known temperaments definitely look at it!
Lineatus
Bathyphylus/Efatensis
Nahackyi (if I feel like throwing out the money on one)
Attenuatus
Rubricaudalis
Cyanogularis
Piscilineatus (again, if I ever come across one and feel like throwing the money)
Brunneus
Naokoae
Isosceles

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My finifenmaa was perfect with any wrasses! I currently only have 2 fairies and 1 flasher;
Carpenteri Flasher
Aquamarinus Fairy
Flavidorsalis Fairy

I have had the Diamond Tail and Madagascan Half Bar with my Fini. Both eventually just withered away unfortunately but this was most likely because I was at my limit with fish and the tang especially was too aggressive.

Wrasse wise, that list I’m looking at going for should get along with a finifenmaa.
Here’s a few others I’m considering that will get along with a fini. I don’t personally work off of the chart anymore but I do recommend that if you’re still unsure of known temperaments definitely look at it!
Lineatus
Bathyphylus/Efatensis
Nahackyi (if I feel like throwing out the money on one)
Attenuatus
Rubricaudalis
Cyanogularis
Piscilineatus (again, if I ever come across one and feel like throwing the money)
Brunneus
Naokoae
Isosceles
So the Mel is ok with this list too? And it’s interesting you say that about the Fini. My rosy is quite peaceful and just get’s out of the Mel’s way during feeding. The Mel actually loves a friend to follow - first it was my Diamond goby that he came with from LFS and then my orange shoulder tang, who died due to nem sting. He just wants a buddy - lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Mel is ok with this list too? And it’s interesting you say that about the Fini. My rosy is quite peaceful and just get’s out of the Mel’s way during feeding. The Mel actually loves a friend to follow - first it was my Diamond goby that he came with from LFS and then my orange shoulder tang, who died due to nem sting. He just wants a buddy - lol.
Melanurus should be fine with any fairies or flashers :)

I know they’re in the Platyglossus complex of Halichoeres so they may not get along with other Halichoeres species but should get along with most other sand sleepers :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back