The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he jump when you crack the lid to feed the tank. My Naoko did the same

Nah he didn't because i didn't crack the lid open the entire day.

I went to feed them... then stepped out...
Came back to feed them again... found dead.

Im like 90% sure he threaded that needle, probably used velocity and forced his way though that hole.

Im very careful of that lid and other fishes....

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are!
DD7C5A54-9E50-4E7A-95CF-98B95D76D47C.jpeg

C7DD0702-DD3D-43DC-ACE6-CDD6BBA330E6.jpeg

And a feeding video of the wrasses :)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
he jump when you crack the lid to feed the tank. My Naoko did the same
Not necessarily though... I had a Garnoti jump overnight through the egg crate. Not sure how she fit through, but she did.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow / the full fin extension! Is that flashing? Who is that green one? I couldn’t quite see with my small iPhone screen
Yep, the Rubri was happily flashing! He’s one of the more energetic flashers I’ve kept, definitely tied with the Diamond Tail for personality.

I have 2 greener species - The Mombasa Pencil and Jade.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the Rubri was happily flashing! He’s one of the more energetic flashers I’ve kept, definitely tied with the Diamond Tail for personality.

I have 2 greener species - The Mombasa Pencil and Jade.
Like I said, get out the popcorn on this one!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, get out the popcorn on this one!
Definitely! I don’t even need a TV, just sit in-front of the tank and watch the wrasses in display.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily though... I had a Garnoti jump overnight through the egg crate. Not sure how she fit through, but she did.
Happy fish don’t jump except if spooked but still if they are happy they tend not to spook that bad. Most want out because they live a life of anxiety.
Most Full size wrasse fit through eggcrate. Bigger ones will rub few scales off that’s about it

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Happy fish don’t jump except if spooked but still if they are happy they tend not to spook that bad. Most want out because they live a life of anxiety.
Most Full size wrasse fit through eggcrate. Bigger ones will rub few scales off that’s about it
Mine was happy, always out and came to the glass to see me. It was always eating any food I fed including nori, and always grazing at the rocks and sand. Fat and active.

I do have a Melanurus that may have chased it. I never saw any aggression but can't say for sure.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG... can we thread the needle anymore then this?

20240411_154522.jpg

I am completely lost how he got though those gaps.

True i did not like him very much because he would pick on my anthias... but i did not wish him to commit suicide and litterally jump out of a hole smaller then his size.
Been there with a Vivien that jumped during a feeding. Top is at over 6 feet so I didn’t see it. Is your top the BRS kit? Had an iridis shoot through the BRS screen so got rid of it.

6656.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there with a Vivien that jumped during a feeding. Top is at over 6 feet so I didn’t see it. Is your top the BRS kit? Had an iridis shoot through the BRS screen so got rid of it.

6656.jpeg
How is that possible?

I guess I'll have to get one of the solid acrylic lids, but then I get worried that they'll slam into it head-first. At least the mesh has a bit of give to it.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that possible?

I guess I'll have to get one of the solid acrylic lids, but then I get worried that they'll slam into it head-first. At least the mesh has a bit of give to it.
I had the top slid back for feeding. She jumped out. I slid it back without getting on the step stool to look. Found her the next morning.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nope.... its the one from Innovative Marine that came with my tank.

The thing is I don't unlid it.
There is no gaps in the lid either, as i am running MP's so i have no wires in the tank or wires coming out to ajar the lid.

I feed dried though the screen into a feeder ring.
And i feed the frozen though a feeder pipette, so the screen never comes off unless i need to do work inside the tank.

When i last fed the fishes, i saw them all, and when i went out and came back, the wrasse was on top of the screen.

So unless someone came into the room and lifted the screen without me knowing, which i highly doubt, unless its a poltregiest, or some super natural being haunting the room, it had to have threaded the needle hole on the screen.

Welp at least i can start over again with wrasses.
I was worried that guy would murder any new wrasse i put into the tank.
I need to plan out a order this time in what to introduce, and what wrasse i want.

But I still have a Orchid Dotty that is pretty much hostile to new members, and my Tomini Tang is beginning to plant flags saying this is the new Republic of Tangtopia.

Last edited:

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And i feed the frozen though a feeder pipette, so the screen never comes off unless i need to do work inside the tank.

When i last fed the fishes, i saw them all, and when i went out and came back, the wrasse was on top of the screen.

So unless someone came into the room and lifted the screen without me knowing, which i highly doubt, unless its a poltregiest, or some super natural being haunting the room, it had to have threaded the needle hole on the screen.
I have to correct my post about the iridis. It was in my IM Nuovo 20 which had the IM lid, basically the same width grid as the BRS. The iridis shot through that screen O/N. Can’t imagine anything other than a slim halichoeres doing that though.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to correct my post about the iridis. It was in my IM Nuovo 20 which had the IM lid, basically the same width grid as the BRS. The iridis shot through that screen O/N. Can’t imagine anything other than a slim halichoeres doing that though.
I'm fairly certain my brunneus did the same with an IM lid. I was working on the tank a bit the night before, so it's also possible it jumped while I wasn't looking, but I usually hear them when they come out of the water, so I suspect it was a successful torpedo jump through the net.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is no gaps in the lid either, as i am running MP's so i have no wires in the tank or wires coming out to ajar the lid.

It cannot jump through a hole that is smaller than it so either the screen came off or else there is a hole on the screen it can jump through. When you eliminated everything else, the reminder must be it, however unlikely.
You seem to eliminated everything except the lid came off or the wrasse jumped through a hole smaller than it. The second is impossible so it must be the first or else something you overlooked.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you eliminated everything else, the reminder must be it, however unlikely.

So then i need to call over my priest to exorcize the evil spirit then.
Because no one really comes into my aquarium room except me.
That is the only possible recourse.

The lid seriously never comes off, and on top its eurobraced.
20240412_141414.jpg

20240412_141355.jpg

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that possible?

I got the Top Lids brand. Acrylic on frame, “mesh” is so tight, there is no concern of fish getting through. Two feed holes with lids included in price and you can choose the size - they have it big enough for men’s large hands too.

extremely breathable- I don’t get condensation buildup or salt buildup. Was it cheap, no. But neither is purchasing fish multiple times because they escaped.

Photos for those interested :

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-grateful-journeys-tank.1013672/post-12074990

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back