Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why the flame wrasse is on my "must-have" list. My terminal male must really be feeling the male vibes today...he's been showing off all day. Sorry for the crappy iPhone picture.
6279ee47ec9138fc7596f27fca080826.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a "super" male, basically the most dominant male. Pretty, isn't he?

Do they all transition to super males eventually? The rhomboids are on my bucket list, but worried about my lineatus which is starting to exert his dominance. I wouldn't quite call him super yet, but hopefully one day.

Is that a Jordani cirrhilabrus wrasse or paracheilinus?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they all transition to super males eventually? The rhomboids are on my bucket list, but worried about my lineatus which is starting to exert his dominance. I wouldn't quite call him super yet, but hopefully one day.

It's a c. Jordani. I bought this one female, but it started turning male right away. He just graduated QT recently.

I think they all turn male. The "super" part is more of a marketing thing. But, I bought a female Rhomboid at the same time as this guy. It's transitioning male as well but more slowly.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They all transition into males, but whether they become 'super' or terminal phase males depends on environment and social situations.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about a earmuff wrasse in a 60 gal cube?
Too small; it's a big species (>6") that would only have 24" of lateral swimming space.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help, I was told two mckoskers could be kept together. If anyone can advise me please help
Only if at least one of them is a female, but truly female Paracheilinus are very rare in the trade.

The only way you can keep two males (of the same species) is to remove one; probably not the answer you want to hear - sorry. :(
If you don't intervene, one will become a victor and the other a victim.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help, I was told two mckoskers could be kept together. If anyone can advise me please help
This is a common misconception. Unless a tank is very large, 2 mckoskers results in a lot of fighting, bullying, and the demise of one.

Remove one and rehome.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if at least one of them is a female, but truly female Paracheilinus are very rare in the trade.

The only way you can keep two males (of the same species) is to remove one; probably not the answer you want to hear - sorry. :(
If you don't intervene, one will become a victor and the other a victim.
Luckily I don't have them yet. Thanks

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 180 but I'd rather not risk it. Thanks
It would need to be a tank about more than 4 times larger than that - it takes a HUGE tank for them to have enough territory to work like this.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep a McCosker's with, say a linespot, or a blue flasher though . . . which will keep both fish excited enough to really put on a show for you from time to time.

~Bruce
Right - different species makes a BIG difference. :)

Maureen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I please have an ID on this Wrasse, I paid for a Pink Margin and the fish below is what I received. After explaining to them that this fish has yellow above the eyes and very long pelvic fins they still told me it was a Pink Margin. I believe it is something else and I don't want to sway you so I will keep it to myself for now. I sent them three different pictures. The first on is one I sent to them. The second one is one I took when my lights were not as blue today. Thanks!
IMG_1088.JPG
18073188_10209958321777907_735182745_n.jpg

Drew Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a terminal Tono's Wrasse Cirrhilabrus tonozukai, a terminal Solar Wrasse Cirrhilabrus solorensis, and a female African Pencil Wrasse unknown sp. in a 50G cube. The problem is that the Tono's is a total jerk to the Solar wrasse. The Tono's ignores everybody else but the Solar. The Solar is hiding all of the time. I have seen two incidents of the Tono's flashing at the Solar, and one incident of the Tono's nipping the Solar Wrasse's tail. I have only had the Tono's and Solar Wrasses for 3 days now. Both were introduced together. All of the other fish are getting along fine.

What are my options to make everybody peaceful? I have three ideas on how to deal with this:
1-Get another terminal wrasse of a different species to spread the aggression.
2-Get a school of small dither fish. My two ideas would be a trio of Anthias or 5 Red Spot Glass Cardinal Fish Apogon parvulus.
3-Wait it out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back