The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I please have an ID on this Wrasse, I paid for a Pink Margin and the fish below is what I received. After explaining to them that this fish has yellow above the eyes and very long pelvic fins they still told me it was a Pink Margin. I believe it is something else and I don't want to sway you so I will keep it to myself for now. I sent them three different pictures. The first on is one I sent to them. The second one is one I took when my lights were not as blue today. Thanks!
IMG_1088.JPG
18073188_10209958321777907_735182745_n.jpg
Cirrhilabrus pylei.
Hello all, I have a terminal Tono's Wrasse Cirrhilabrus tonozukai, a terminal Solar Wrasse Cirrhilabrus solorensis, and a female African Pencil Wrasse unknown sp. in a 50G cube. The problem is that the Tono's is a total jerk to the Solar wrasse. The Tono's ignores everybody else but the Solar. The Solar is hiding all of the time. I have seen two incidents of the Tono's flashing at the Solar, and one incident of the Tono's nipping the Solar Wrasse's tail. I have only had the Tono's and Solar Wrasses for 3 days now. Both were introduced together. All of the other fish are getting along fine.

What are my options to make everybody peaceful? I have three ideas on how to deal with this:
1-Get another terminal wrasse of a different species to spread the aggression.
2-Get a school of small dither fish. My two ideas would be a trio of Anthias or 5 Red Spot Glass Cardinal Fish Apogon parvulus.
3-Wait it out.
Choice 4. Rehome one.

Drew Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast Thank you for answering. Would an acclimation box "timeout" help at all? I really like both fish and would like to keep both. Is there anyway to do that? A bigger tank? If so, how big? Is there anyway to avoid same genus wrasse aggression in the future? Thank you again.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast Thank you for answering. Would an acclimation box "timeout" help at all? I really like both fish and would like to keep both. Is there anyway to do that? A bigger tank? If so, how big? Is there anyway to avoid same genus wrasse aggression in the future? Thank you again.
Maybe in a 300g+ tank. Aggression rarely gets better, only worse. Tono's are known to get pretty aggressive.

You could remove the tono. Let the solorensis get size and become established and try again, but that still may not work.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a wrasse that chases bubbles and/or sticks their head out of the water? I just got a hooded fairy in qt that is always chasing bubbles at the surface from the airstone and hob filter. He's not really swimming into the flow or anything like that, just following a lot of the bubbles and sticking his head out and stays very close to the surface. He goes down and chases food around when I feed him, it doesn't seem to be a buoyancy or swim bladder issue. He's eatibg pretty well and doesn't look skinny and I just fed him, so he's not hungry. I'm just worried.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a wrasse that chases bubbles and/or sticks their head out of the water? I just got a hooded fairy in qt that is always chasing bubbles at the surface from the airstone and hob filter. He's not really swimming into the flow or anything like that, just following a lot of the bubbles and sticking his head out and stays very close to the surface. He goes down and chases food around when I feed him, it doesn't seem to be a buoyancy or swim bladder issue. He's eatibg pretty well and doesn't look skinny and I just fed him, so he's not hungry. I'm just worried.
Wrasses are pretty smart and curious as far as fish go, so checking out anything that moves, especially if it is the size of a prey item is perfectly normal.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are pretty smart and curious as far as fish go, so checking out anything that moves, especially if it is the size of a prey item is perfectly normal.
I just would have figured that after an hour of trying to eat bubbles he might have realize that they aren't food lol.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just would have figured that after an hour of trying to eat bubbles he might have realize that they aren't food lol.

My regal angel eats bubbles all the time. But doesn't eat food [emoji15]

oscar ortiz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about buying a six line wrasse for my 30 gallon biocube but i was unsure because people say they can be aggresive at times and i dont want that at all, i currently have 2 clowns, a blenny, a jawfish and a cleaner shrimp? You think the wrasse would be fine in my tank?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about buying a six line wrasse for my 30 gallon biocube but i was unsure because people say they can be aggresive at times and i dont want that at all, i currently have 2 clowns, a blenny, a jawfish and a cleaner shrimp? You think the wrasse would be fine in my tank?
No; avoid it.
Consider a pink streak wrasse or a possum wrasse instead.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA: LA has a great price on hooded females right now. I know they aren't uber-rare or anything but still a nice wrasse [emoji108]
36a965063d0deb0ddedfa287b86d1f86.jpg

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the Melanesian variant, which is still nice, but not as nice as the vanuatan variant, which has the defined "hood" and purple tail. I have a supermale and he is quite striking. Probably one of the most striking of the fairies imo

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the Melanesian variant, which is still nice, but not as nice as the vanuatan variant, which has the defined "hood" and purple tail. I have a supermale and he is quite striking. Probably one of the most striking of the fairies imo
There are actually 2 Vanuatu variants, Tanna Island and Efate Island. The Efate has the noticeable hood. Both are likely to get species recognition in the future.

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok crazy question gonna throw it out there for the pros to answer. Who has had or has any experience with a Darwin glow fairy wrasse? My LFS messaged me asking if I'd be interested in one but I don't know much about them. Thank for all the help in advance because I'm sure I'll get some like usual

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back