The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue now is my purple tang and scopas lol but my melanarus has been known to not get along with other wrasse

R€€F @DD¡ÇT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved, the whip fin fairies are quite aggressive right? At the moment it's the new fish, so it's taking quite a bit of stick from a large male orangeback and tomini tang. If I wanted to add a trio of McCoskers would it be better to add them now. Or is it still too risky? 75g tank. Currently have:

Small Tomini tang
Cleaner wrasse (got from a fellow reefer, been in captivity for a few years)
Large orangeback fairy
Foxface
Sand sifting goby (sexguttata)
Whip fin fairy

Also please give your opinion on compatibility of:
Halichoeres melanarus
Midas Blenny
Blackcap Jawfish

I wouldn't like to add all the fish. Just want to know which ones will work.

Thanks in advance.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved, the whip fin fairies are quite aggressive right?
Yes, but usually only aggressive towards other wrasses. Typically outright incompatible.
At the moment it's the new fish, so it's taking quite a bit of stick from a large male orangeback and tomini tang.
As the "new guy", that's expected to some degree. It will be several weeks until you see the "new guy's" true temperament.
If I wanted to add a trio of McCoskers would it be better to add them now. Or is it still too risky? 75g tank.
I wouldn't; now or ever.
Large orangeback fairy
The tables are likely to turn here, and this fish is likely to be the subject of the filamentosus' aggression.

Seth Goldberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added this guy to my 45g corner tank
01faead1d4aa06eaedf0db5358407b5b.jpg

Shoob1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i love some of these wrasses i wish my gf wouldn't of put a 6line in our 100g so i could put a couple of these stunners into it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you bite off more than you can chew...
6add53ecace6dda63e5dc32926c8a94a.jpg

My tiny leopard swimming around with an NLS pellet like a Labrador with it's tennis ball [emoji23]

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast , @evolved I currently have an H. melasmapomus and H. biocellatus in my tank (72x24). I have access to a fairly large H. chrysotaenia which is one of my favorite Halichoeres wrasses. The current two get along fine. Do you think the Vrolik's would be ok to add(of course with the use of a social acclimation box)?

Other tankmates are a CBB, C. jordani, C. laboutei, P. flavianalis, M. geofroyi. Planing to add several other Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus in the future.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast , @evolved I currently have an H. melasmapomus and H. biocellatus in my tank (72x24). I have access to a fairly large H. chrysotaenia which is one of my favorite Halichoeres wrasses. The current two get along fine. Do you think the Vrolik's would be ok to add(of course with the use of a social acclimation box)?

Other tankmates are a CBB, C. jordani, C. laboutei, P. flavianalis, M. geofroyi. Planing to add several other Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus in the future.
It should be fine. Periodically, specimens of H. chrysotaenia can be bossy to other wrasses, but I don't see that being an issue in that size tank.
Can I put a h. Iridis with a c. timminckii and a h. melanarus
That should be fine, though definitely use a social acclimation box, as established melanarus wrasses can assert their dominance toward other wrasses.

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine. Periodically, specimens of H. chrysotaenia can be bossy to other wrasses, but I don't see that being an issue in that size tank.

That should be fine, though definitely use a social acclimation box, as established melanarus wrasses can assert their dominance toward other wrasses.

What acclimation box do you use? I've been looking at the elite aquatics one

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have two. One is part of the Reef Gently Aclimate, the other is the Elite Aquatics. For sand dwelling wrasse and spooky fish I use the Elite Aquatics because it doesn't have a clear bottom. For larger fish I use the Reef Gently because it's bigger.

Thanks @eatbreakfast!

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my adorned fairy wrasse has taken up residence in my skimmer. Seems to be that multi million dollar mansion for wrasse. Have had multiple call it home. They cant get hurt inside but sometimes get lost in it and cant get out. Heres my guy eye ballin me to leave him alone lol
20170409_170435.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I put a h. Iridis with a c. timminckii and a h. melanarus

Agree; both of those combinations should be okay.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back