The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a crescent tail and hooded wrasse. Would adding an eight line flasher, rhomboid, and katoi be okay?
Skip Katoi.
thanks for the response, i figured as well. ended up just getting the eightline and rhomboid.
Good move. :)
That could mean the collector isn't decompressing them properly. I'd try another vendor...
I could be that; however that'd necessitate removing any vendor who sources stock from QM.
i've tried the pea trick. i've even tried surgically but both never made it as they succumbed to the problems.
FWIW, the odds are heavily stacked against you once the issue becomes obvious with wrasses. But it's always worth trying.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the chart I would have thought that mix would be okay, since even though rhomboids are less aggressive, they are still yellow. So if you add the rhomboid first I figured it would work?
It's the issue of one peaceful fish amongst 2 less peaceful - it's going to be "ganged" up on.
I've seen quite a few naokoae get quite belligerent, and labouti also can be pushy, whereas rhomboidalis is one of the more peaceful species in the genus. IME it would be hard-pressed to work out well for the rhomboid unless the rhomboid were added first and it were an exceptionally large tank or with a large number of other fairy or flasher wrasses.
Agree.
Hunter's chart is a great overview of the Cirrhilabrus complexes and also my first reference, but there is also some variability in the species within those complexes. For a great overview on the more popular Cirrhilabrus species including the ones you mention, as well as those from other genera, see his excellent article on reef safe wrasses. There he also mentions the possible aggression of the species in question, which echoes TJ's experience. Even that is just a guide, and individuals in a species might not always conform. That is where an acclimation box becomes indispensable as your last line of defense against wrasses aggression.
:) Right; it's just a guideline and not an absolute, and certain species in some complexes are worse offenders than the "average" of the complex.
Always keep in mind that we're trying to categorize the temperament of wild animals - things don't always fit the mold and variability is expected.

jlear3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is over 40g there are a lot of good potential wrasses. What size is the tank?

What are the tankmates?

Most wrasses won't care about a firefish, but the ones that would be problematic will cause an issue regardless of whether an acclimation box is used or not.

It's actually only a 40br. Do you think that's too much bio load at one time? @eatbreakfast

Green5Delt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a 40 Nuvo with
1 Flame wrasse
1 Potters Leopard wrasse
1 Solaris fairy wrasse
1 orange back fairy wrasse
1 Tominiensis tang
1 pair of lighting maroon clownfish
So you should be fine...

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what is the difference between a pinstripe wrasse and a disappearing wrasse? Also are they compatible with other fairy/flashers?

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a H. biocellatus in a 180 gallon tank with a McCosker flasher in QT. Should I use an acclimation box for the mccosker?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the difference between a pinstripe wrasse and a disappearing wrasse?
Both common names can refer to Pseudocheilinus evanidus. But without the latin names, pinstripe could refer to a few other species. This is why common names are not good names. :)
Also are they compatible with other fairy/flashers?
As a Pseudocheilinus wrasse, no.
I have a H. biocellatus in a 180 gallon tank with a McCosker flasher in QT. Should I use an acclimation box for the mccosker?
For sure.

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both common names can refer to Pseudocheilinus evanidus. But without the latin names, pinstripe could refer to a few other species. This is why common names are not good names. :)

As a Pseudocheilinus wrasse, no.

For sure.
P. Ocellatus and P. Evanides

Sent from my SM-G920V using REEF2REEF mobile app

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. Ocellatus and P. Evanides

Sent from my SM-G920V using REEF2REEF mobile app
P. ocellatus is more aggressive than P. evanidus, but as Hunter mentioned, the genus as a whole doesn't mix well with fairies and flashers.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a video of Big Bad John aka Johnny in my tank. He is Cirrhilabrus johnsoni. I purchased Johnny as an initial-phase male and he's been progressing into a more colorful male as time goes on. He's just started to "flash" a bit - ok really he's just changing color, not flashing like a Flasher Wrasse. There are no other wrasses in there right now so he displays to the Clownfish and Firefish and sometimes he just fools around by himself. He does this in the evenings.

Here's my first attempt at video editing, I hope you can see past that and enjoy it anyway! Haha! https://quik.gopro.com/v/aAgJCoKGLq/

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone identify this female fairy? I picked her up because I'm taking a few other wrasses through quarantine and took a few bet that she's not aggressive? I also picked up a female flame, a blue flasher, carpenter, and melanurus. In the display tank I have a lineatus, solarensis, and exquisitus. Cross my fingers or she'll have to find another home once she gets out of quarantine. She'd been in the store for over a month, so had to rescue her. She's the one out front in the middle. I can try and get better pictures, but she's fairly plain except for the single spot. The owner thought she was a blue throated? He did have a bunch of those which had the long fins like rubripinnus, but this one doesn't look like the others that I saw.

Thanks

IMG_20170520_140354.jpg

IMG_20170520_140405.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a rubripinnis from Google pictures, and jives with what the owner had in Stock last month. Most of the males sold, but this juvenile didn't sell. He said the males had had blue throat? I thought they were pretty aggressive, so passed before on the males.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too cute not to add! Yes this little one may turn into a giant monster.. :p but it's better that someone capable is looking after her to start with as the guys at the lfs said they were impossible. Made it past a week and she's twice as fat now! Loving mysis and all things meaty, pellets are still a little daunting for her but she knows something is going on and is interested in them :)
Meet my teeny tiny hologymnosus doliatus (please excuse the bubble algae lol treating that at the moment!)
20170516_081822-01.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a rubripinnis from Google pictures, and jives with what the owner had in Stock last month. Most of the males sold, but this juvenile didn't sell. He said the males had had blue throat? I thought they were pretty aggressive, so passed before on the males.
Agreed, looks like a transitioning rubripinnis. Not all males develop the blue throat. Rubripinnis are in the middle of a Cirrhilabrus aggression scale.
Too cute not to add! Yes this little one may turn into a giant monster.. :p but it's better that someone capable is looking after her to start with as the guys at the lfs said they were impossible. Made it past a week and she's twice as fat now! Loving mysis and all things meaty, pellets are still a little daunting for her but she knows something is going on and is interested in them :)
Meet my teeny tiny hologymnosus doliatus (please excuse the bubble algae lol treating that at the moment!)
20170516_081822-01.jpeg
Besides eating motile inverts, I have found cigar wrasses to be pretty well behaved.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back