The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to take pictures of the other fish any my lubbocki decided he wanted center stage
First time I've ever seen him really light up
DSC_6792.jpg
I love mine, I think they are a really under appreciated fairy wrasse.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have Melanurus Wrasse with either and Labout' or a Lineatus in a 120, or possibly all three. Is there a preferable combo if I only get the two?

Is this likely to work out, thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have Melanurus Wrasse with either and Labout' or a Lineatus in a 120, or possibly all three. Is there a preferable combo if I only get the two?

That combo should be fine in that size tank. Ideally add them simultaneously. If not, preferred order would be lineatus, labouti, melanurus. Be sure to use a social acclimation box when introducing a new wrasse to an existing wrasse.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few flashers and fairies in different quarantine tanks, being staged for introduction to the DT. I am considering adding vermiculate (blue star) leopards to the mix, and wonder:

a) at what stage should they go in to the DT?

b) I have a 220g DT, can I add more than one female? I have read here that males don't travel well, and that if I want a male, I should get multiple females and hope that one changes - but this is apparently also not a sure thing, so if I get 2 or 3 females, will they tolerate each other in this size tank long term? Hit or miss, or usually not a problem?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That combo should be fine in that size tank. Ideally add them simultaneously. If not, preferred order would be lineatus, labouti, melanurus. Be sure to use a social acclimation box when introducing a new wrasse to an existing wrasse.

Great, thank you!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few flashers and fairies in different quarantine tanks, being staged for introduction to the DT. I am considering adding vermiculate (blue star) leopards to the mix, and wonder:

b) I have a 220g DT, can I add more than one female? I have read here that males don't travel well, and that if I want a male, I should get multiple females and hope that one changes - but this is apparently also not a sure thing, so if I get 2 or 3 females, will they tolerate each other in this size tank long term? Hit or miss, or usually not a problem?
As long as the dt is mature and there aren't aggressive fish, leopards can be added at anytime.

Females are quite tolerant of each other, especially in a tank that size.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a 180g tank that is 6 months old. Right now I have a yellow coris wrasse, lime green wrasse, and a hovens wrasse. I want to add a couple more wrasses, but I am wondering what ones I can consider. I do not want to add any real expensive ones, so I would appreciate suggestions on some on the cheaper end. I am looking to add 3-4 more.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g tank that is 6 months old. Right now I have a yellow coris wrasse, lime green wrasse, and a hovens wrasse. I want to add a couple more wrasses, but I am wondering what ones I can consider. I do not want to add any real expensive ones, so I would appreciate suggestions on some on the cheaper end. I am looking to add 3-4 more.
Your going to be limited, because as lime green wrasses grow, they get more aggressive, especially toward other wrasses. They also flip corals and small rocks.

A red coris or formosa wrasse would be compatible, but also flip stuff.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All three would probably be fine, but if you want to play it totally safe pick either the lineatus or laboutei.

a) doesn't matter
b) anyone's guess
Most likely, 2-3 females would be fine together, but in any regard there's no sure formula on achieving a male from the bunch.
Your going to be limited, because as lime green wrasses grow, they get more aggressive, especially toward other wrasses. They also flip corals and small rocks.

A red coris or formosa wrasse would be compatible, but also flip stuff.
Yeah, the H. chloropterus is a bit of an issue here. Remove that fish and you suddenly have lots of options, but with it present, long term issue even with the fish you have are likely.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
All three would probably be fine, but if you want to play it totally safe pick either the lineatus or laboutei.

a) doesn't matter
b) anyone's guess
Most likely, 2-3 females would be fine together, but in any regard there's no sure formula on achieving a male from the bunch.

Yeah, the H. chloropterus is a bit of an issue here. Remove that fish and you suddenly have lots of options, but with it present, long term issue even with the fish you have are likely.

Thank you, I will remove that and then look into other wrasses. Which ones do you recommend once I remove that, if I am able to remove it is probably the better statement.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will remove that and then look into other wrasses. Which ones do you recommend once I remove that, if I am able to remove it is probably the better statement.
There are well over a 100 choices. What is available, what appeals to you, and how much you want to spend will drive that decision. ;)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read through this when you have a chance, lots of great info:
All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/All-About-Reef-Safe-Wrasses-in-Aquaria.259894/

Also, I had excellent luck catching my wrasses with a baited fish trap (actually my acclimation box) I caught all 4 within a few hours of setting the trap.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back