The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170526_101614.jpg

Hi, can anyone identify the new hi fin wrasse and if it is Male or female please?
I have a male Mccoskeri wrasse in the 800 litres display tank. That one chased the Hi Fin initially but don't seem to be bothered with each other now.
Could I add any more flasher type wrasses in the future?
I have a female Blue Spotted Leopard Wrasse, Green Mandarin, Regal Tang, Starry Blenny, Copperband Butterfly, Anampses Lineatus Female, Captive bred Caramel Clownfish Pair, Royal gramma, Goldrim Tang and a Yellow Tang and a Red Coris wrasse in there at present.
Thanks.
Yes, it's technically Cirrhilabrus rubeus now.
Always use an acclimation box when adding new wrasses to a tank with existing ones.
This should be helpful: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/
Also, the Red Coris will be a bit of a headache as it matures.
Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis, male.
As TJ pointed out, it's actually called C. rubeus now.
I'm getting back in the hobby after a 15+ year hiatus. I'm interested in Wrasses as I've never kept and want to keep mostly different species than what I've kept in the past. My tank is roughly 142 gallons (72" x 24" x 19"), and this go-round, I'm interested in keeping multiples of the same species as much as possible (fish, corals, inverts, etc.) as opposed to the "get one of everything" approach. I don't want a dedicated wrasse tank but would like to keep at least one or two species. My plan was to add maybe three female/juvenile wrasses of the same species and allow one to become dominant and turn male. What I didn't realize until reading the last 10 or so pages of this thread is that all of the females tend to turn male over time. Is there a common species or two to where this is less likely to happen?
The only shot you have at making this work is to stick with the Macropharyngodon genus. Other genera will readily transition in a closed system.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lennardi [emoji50]
Yeah, if it wasn't for Sanjay's latest video where his has gotten really large and rather pushy, I would have already bought that fish. :)

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens pretty much always with flasher and fairy wrasses, but isn't as certain with most of the others. You could perhaps have a trio of leopard wrasses, perhaps a pair of possum wrasses and a melanurus wrasse, and that might make for a nice diverse group. (Possum wrasses are pretty small and inoffensive, even at their boldest - but I'm not certain of how likely it is that they'll transition.) A few male flashers or fairies of different species would add some color and flash up in the water column.

The only shot you have at making this work is to stick with the Macropharyngodon genus. Other genera will readily transition in a closed system.

Ok, so Leopard wrasses are the best bet to make this work. Other than that, to keep male coloration, it would be best to have something like two flasher species (one fish of each), correct? Also, I'm a little confused on one thing... will single females tend to turn male? For instance, if I had two flasher females, separate species, would both likely turn male?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm a little confused on one thing... will single females tend to turn male? For instance, if I had two flasher females, separate species, would both likely turn male?

Short answer: Yes.

When they do, you'll have quite the show, as they display their finest colors and finnage to their rivals.

~Bruce

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so Leopard wrasses are the best bet to make this work. Other than that, to keep male coloration, it would be best to have something like two flasher species (one fish of each), correct? Also, I'm a little confused on one thing... will single females tend to turn male? For instance, if I had two flasher females, separate species, would both likely turn male?
Yes - for other genera stick with single specimens of any given species, and the females will most likely transition to male in time.
Are Rhomboid and pink margin okay to mix in same tank?
Yes.
Do you have a link?
I am not sure about the permissions on this video; you may not be able to view it:
https://www.facebook.com/sanjay.joshi.792/videos/vb.561290328/10155992702720329/?type=2&theater

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170601_093153.jpg

Seen in Petco, told it's a sixline. What is it really?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share who's in quarantine waiting to go into the display tank. I have a c. Jordani, c. rhomboidalis, c. Rubripinnis, h. Melanurus, Leopard wrasse (?), p. Cyaneus, and a rainford goby.

I picked up the rhomboid a week later, so I put him in with the rest of the gang, but the rubripinnis was picking on her mercilessly, so I put the rhomboid in the alternate qt tank for a few days to establish herself. When I merged everyone there was some tussle between the rhomboid and rubripinnis, but things seem to be settled down now.

I realize that if I keep the rubripinnis, it will probably be very difficult to introduce any more cirrhilabrus in the future, so I can't say for sure that I won't rehome her. Open to opinions in that though.

In the existing tank I have a big c. Lineatus, c. Solarensis, c. Exquisitus, Yellow tang, 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny. IMG_20170603_141030.jpg IMG_20170603_141057.jpg IMG_20170603_142646.jpg IMG_20170603_142647.jpg IMG_20170603_143125.jpg IMG_20170603_143129.jpg

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use an acclimation box for a few days. Or yes remove it and add it last from your sump,etc

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would show my newest babies. And just to cut you off, yes it is going to be a reef, and yes I know they moved rocks ( glue ) and yes everyone says only one. But I wanted to take my chances. Been 2 weeks now and they have about 30 small rocks and shells to play with and they move them around together. If they start to look over aggressive to one another I will move one. Just one of my favorite fish and always wanted a pair.
a2d456a914c88eb820af4772d391905a.jpg
42632ff08fa623059ffba58e69c51894.jpg

And a few other wrasses In the tank and they all are getting along great as of now.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience keeping Halichoeres scapularis?

I have a big H.timorensis, and a trio of H.leucoxanthus, so I know in my heart of hearts that I'm pushing my luck, but it's a species that were everywhere in the Maldives and it really brings those memories back so would love to keep one (would probably rehome the timorensis)

Andy

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience keeping Halichoeres scapularis?

I have a big H.timorensis, and a trio of H.leucoxanthus, so I know in my heart of hearts that I'm pushing my luck, but it's a species that were everywhere in the Maldives and it really brings those memories back so would love to keep one (would probably rehome the timorensis)

Andy
H. scapularis is bigger, a bit mre aggressive, and less suitable for a reef than your current species.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that QT what is your regiment? For other fishes, I usually do TTM with Prazi on the 2nd and 4th transfers (days 4 and 10), then 4 weeks of observation in a larger cycled QT. Wondering if I need to do anything different with wrasses. I have a rhomboid and efatensis coming in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back