The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they know when it's time for bed? My melanurus goes to the sand bed almost an hour before lights out? Is it normal to go to bed that early? I'm honestly not sure how they breathe under the sand?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they know when it's time for bed? My melanurus goes to the sand bed almost an hour before lights out? Is it normal to go to bed that early? I'm honestly not sure how they breathe under the sand?
They figure out the light cycle pretty quickly.

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if it would be ok to add 3 loepard wrasse to a 120 gallon aquarium? I currently have a blue, yellow, tomoni and Achilles Tang, two clownfish, a royal gramma, a yasha goby, a ruby red mandarin, and a two spot goby. I would be looking to add the blue star leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus), Potters Wrasse (Macropharyngodon geoffroyi), and a black Leopard wrase (Macropharyngodon negrosensis).

would be trying to add all three at once if it's ok and would use a social acclimation box as well. Should I just add one? or two?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if it would be ok to add 3 loepard wrasse to a 120 gallon aquarium? I currently have a blue, yellow, tomoni and Achilles Tang, two clownfish, a royal gramma, a yasha goby, a ruby red mandarin, and a two spot goby. I would be looking to add the blue star leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus), Potters Wrasse (Macropharyngodon geoffroyi), and a black Leopard wrase (Macropharyngodon negrosensis).

would be trying to add all three at once if it's ok and would use a social acclimation box as well. Should I just add one? or two?
The mix of the three would be fine, but you will put pretty good pressure on the food supply for the dragonet.

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mix of the three would be fine, but you will put pretty good pressure on the food supply for the dragonet.

Thanks I thought I might, but I have been weaning him onto prepared foods. hopefully he will continue to eat them and live a healthy life.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know anything about the pearl china wrasse?
7a5604f27b8b0e97a0cfd4f98cdc0737.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gatekeeperdi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170526_101614.jpg

Hi, can anyone identify the new hi fin wrasse and if it is Male or female please?
I have a male Mccoskeri wrasse in the 800 litres display tank. That one chased the Hi Fin initially but don't seem to be bothered with each other now.
Could I add any more flasher type wrasses in the future?
I have a female Blue Spotted Leopard Wrasse, Green Mandarin, Regal Tang, Starry Blenny, Copperband Butterfly, Anampses Lineatus Female, Captive bred Caramel Clownfish Pair, Royal gramma, Goldrim Tang and a Yellow Tang and a Red Coris wrasse in there at present.
Thanks.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170526_101614.jpg

Hi, can anyone identify the new hi fin wrasse and if it is Male or female please?
I have a male Mccoskeri wrasse in the 800 litres display tank. That one chased the Hi Fin initially but don't seem to be bothered with each other now.
I have a female Blue Spotted Leopard Wrasse, Green Mandarin, Regal Tang, Starry Blenny, Copperband Butterfly, Anampses Lineatus Female, Captive bred Caramel Clownfish Pair, Royal gramma, Goldrim Tang and a Yellow Tang and a Red Coris wrasse in there at present.
Thanks.

Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis, male. And yes, you could likely add another fairy wrasse or two.

This chart is very helpful in mixing different fairy wrasse:

Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php...Complexes:-Inferiority-Need-Not-Apply.259074/

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back in the hobby after a 15+ year hiatus. I'm interested in Wrasses as I've never kept and want to keep mostly different species than what I've kept in the past. My tank is roughly 142 gallons (72" x 24" x 19"), and this go-round, I'm interested in keeping multiples of the same species as much as possible (fish, corals, inverts, etc.) as opposed to the "get one of everything" approach. I don't want a dedicated wrasse tank but would like to keep at least one or two species. My plan was to add maybe three female/juvenile wrasses of the same species and allow one to become dominant and turn male. What I didn't realize until reading the last 10 or so pages of this thread is that all of the females tend to turn male over time. Is there a common species or two to where this is less likely to happen?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens pretty much always with flasher and fairy wrasses, but isn't as certain with most of the others. You could perhaps have a trio of leopard wrasses, perhaps a pair of possum wrasses and a melanurus wrasse, and that might make for a nice diverse group. (Possum wrasses are pretty small and inoffensive, even at their boldest - but I'm not certain of how likely it is that they'll transition.) A few male flashers or fairies of different species would add some color and flash up in the water column.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170526_101614.jpg

Thanks.
Actually, there have been recent updates in the rubriventralis complex. The fish pictured had been known as C. rubriventralis for many years, but has recently been updated as C. rubeus.

C. rubeus can be a bit feisty towards other fairy or flasher wrasses, so definitely be sure to use a social acclimation box when introducing new wrasses to established ones.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back