The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established naoko and added a mckoskers flasher in my tank last week. I figured it'd be ok since it's flasher/fairy. However, the mckoskers has been hiding (typical), but have started to come out during feeding only to be chased back into hiding by the naoko. Will this be a longer term issue? Should I pull the naoko out for a week or should I continue to let the mckoskers become acclimated?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established naoko and added a mckoskers flasher in my tank last week. I figured it'd be ok since it's flasher/fairy. However, the mckoskers has been hiding (typical), but have started to come out during feeding only to be chased back into hiding by the naoko. Will this be a longer term issue? Should I pull the naoko out for a week or should I continue to let the mckoskers become acclimated?
Naoko is a pretty aggressive species unfortunately. Because of that, it's quite possible this won't change - and if so the McCoskeri will wither away.
Keep a close eye for now, but if things don't change in 10 days or so, you'll need to take action.
Pulling the naoko out for a week may well result in the same behavior once returned.

Using an acclimation box in the future would be advised. :)

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naoko is a pretty aggressive species unfortunately. Because of that, it's quite possible this won't change - and if so the McCoskeri will wither away.
Keep a close eye for now, but if things don't change in 10 days or so, you'll need to take action.
Pulling the naoko out for a week may well result in the same behavior once returned.

Using an acclimation box in the future would be advised. :)

I yea I contemplated on using my acclimation box but decided against it since I figured it wouldn't be an issue between fairy and flasher species. Ignorant decision nonetheless. I will definitely keep a close eye and take necessary action if needed

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on its Latin name. It's just listed as a Christmas wrasse at the lfs
Then a pic perhaps. As stated, there are a number of species that go by that name and their suitability and compatibility varies greatly.

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ed3ce011e7607188d80d7f4bd8a50c6e.jpg

Looks similar to this

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ed3ce011e7607188d80d7f4bd8a50c6e.jpg

Looks similar to this
Halichoere ornatissimus, they are a little more aggressive than either the melanurus and leopard. In a tank 4' and under,I would advise against, so about 120g. Larger than that, there may be some aggression, but should be manageable.

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoere ornatissimus, they are a little more aggressive than either the melanurus and leopard. In a tank 4' and under,I would advise against, so about 120g. Larger than that, there may be some aggression, but should be manageable.

Ok thanks bud

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow..So many nice wrasses here. Need to get one too.

One?.....One? :) You're a better man than me if you can stop at one. So much beauty, variety and personality it's hard to stop at one. Welcome to the addiction.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guys help me narrow down my choices? I'm really having a lot of trouble deciding which to go with. [emoji23] I have a 90g (4ft) tank, with 2 Clownfish, 2 jawfish, an Earmuff Wrasse and a Hooded fairy wrasse. The only other wrasse I know that I want for sure is a clown fairy (C. solorensis), and probably a Leopard but the rest is up in the air. Here are some that I've been looking at:
Lubbocks
Pintail
Exquisite
McCoskers Flasher
Blue Flasher
Royal flasher
Radiant

I would love to add them all but I just feel like it would be too many fish (any thoughts?). Are there any on this list that you feel are "must haves" or any that you think might not be that special? I just can't decide.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @evolved , what are your thoughts one buying females/submales instead of males/terminal males to save on cash. I don't mind getting them because they are significantly less expensive. After a while in a tank with other fairy wrasse (of other species) that would probably help push them to turn male right? What do you think?

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @evolved , what are your thoughts one buying females/submales instead of males/terminal males to save on cash. I don't mind getting them because they are significantly less expensive. After a while in a tank with other fairy wrasse (of other species) that would probably help push them to turn male right? What do you think?

I've only ever done this, it works great. Not only are they cheaper, sometimes half as much as a fully transitioned male, but I think it's easier to integrate a younger wrasse into an existing social structure of other wrasses. It's also going to live longer than a fish that is already in his prime. I enjoy seeing the transformation too. It can be quite slow though. I have a Pintail that didn't show much change for quite a few months, but adding a Lineatus recently seemed to have kicked him into gear and he is now starting to color up and display more.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guys help me narrow down my choices? I'm really having a lot of trouble deciding which to go with. [emoji23] I have a 90g (4ft) tank, with 2 Clownfish, 2 jawfish, an Earmuff Wrasse and a Hooded fairy wrasse. The only other wrasse I know that I want for sure is a clown fairy (C. solorensis), and probably a Leopard but the rest is up in the air. Here are some that I've been looking at:
Lubbocks
Pintail
Exquisite
McCoskers Flasher
Blue Flasher
Royal flasher
Radiant

I would love to add them all but I just feel like it would be too many fish (any thoughts?). Are there any on this list that you feel are "must haves" or any that you think might not be that special? I just can't decide.
Of that list, the species I am particularly partial towards are the pintail, Pacific ocean variants of thevexquisite, and the radiant.

This is a great strategy for acquiring wrasses.

hbetanzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello you guys!! Definitely a "common" 6 line wrasse but it is in a fluval 13!!! And it's behaving so good!! Of course it's the only fish there... lol
a45235f447a048b4659762ca41fb8521.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is a great way to save money and the bonus is you get to watch the really neat transition. I've done it with a few of my wrasse.

The ONLY down side for me is I'm terrible at identifying the species in females.....and unfortunately many LFS and online vendors are too. Not a huge deal unless you are shelling out for a more expensive species and end up with a less expensive one. C. pylei seems to be misidentified quite often as other species.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have direct experience with cirrhilabrus katherinae? I read what you said about them Hunter and I have an opportunity to get my hands on one soon so I thought I'd ask the question :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have direct experience with cirrhilabrus katherinae? I read what you said about them Hunter and I have an opportunity to get my hands on one soon so I thought I'd ask the question :)
The katherinae that are available are a veey peaceful Cirrhilabrus species, and can be pretty timid around more assertive fairy wrasse species.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Cirrhilabrus solorensis for my 40 gal Coral QT Tank while my basement is being reno'ed for my larger tank, beautiful fish.
Did a methyl blue dip on it, a little bit of damage showed up but not bad. Fish is eating well.

Going to begin chloroquine phosphate on it soon. CP worked on my lubbocks before it jumped while doing a water change (Cover was off :( ) I'm a little worried to do CP on it but as I stated my Lubbocks was fine.

Anyone try CP on Solorenis?

@Humblefish @melypr1985

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back