The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given how important it is to have a secure top, what do people do when they have an over the top return, an auto feeder, and wires that need to come from the tank? Are people able to make more custom tops that cut out the space needed?
1/4" screen netting, as I've seen a few fish still fit through eggcrate.

I have a corner overflow, so inverted the corner where the overflow is at, and run any cords to the overflow, so they don't raise the top.

An auto feeder will drop food through the screen.

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given how important it is to have a secure top, what do people do when they have an over the top return, an auto feeder, and wires that need to come from the tank? Are people able to make more custom tops that cut out the space needed?

I cut my screen top so there is a 1/4" gap at the rear for cords. For the return, I inverted the corner so it would snugly fit around it. It took some diy measuring, cutting and filing, but it worked.

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could always get someone such as artfully acrylic to build you a custom top for your tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently finished qt with 2 wrasse, ruby head and katoi wrasse. Can't get a good pic of the Katoi but here's the ruby headed wrasse... Cell phone pic is not so great. He is way more beautiful and colorful than this...

ruby wrasse.jpg
That's a beauty!!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this chart if the boxes are touching that means they should be ok together correct?
Touching means very closely related, so those are some of the most risky to mix together.

FYI to all: there's a total reboot of this chart @ MACNA. ;)

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the updated chart! It's a constant companion!

I'm about to move 7 fish from quarantine to the display tank, and I have two social acclimation boxes. Both are roughly 12x6x6. How many fish can I have in the boxes at the same time? Are there any guidelines for species mixing etc.

I have 3 cirrhilabrus, 1 paracheilinus, 1 halichoeres, 1 macropharyngodon, and a rainford Gobi.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on sizes, I probably wouldn't put more than two in at the same time, given they might spend a couple of days in there.

The Rainford's might be too intimidated in such close quarters with an active wrasse . . .

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the updated chart! It's a constant companion!

I'm about to move 7 fish from quarantine to the display tank, and I have two social acclimation boxes. Both are roughly 12x6x6. How many fish can I have in the boxes at the same time? Are there any guidelines for species mixing etc.

I have 3 cirrhilabrus, 1 paracheilinus, 1 halichoeres, 1 macropharyngodon, and a rainford Gobi.
What are the specific species? And what's already in the dt?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in the display tank, 3 male cirrhilabrus: lineatus, exquisitus, and a solorensis. Also a yellow tang, lawnmower blenny and a pair of ocellaris. The lineatus is a supermale, and rivals the yellow tang for king of the tank. I call him my purple tuna! It's a 60x24x18 tank, around 110 gallons. I may be pushing the number of cirrhilabrus, but I love their mild aggression and colors. Hopefully I have room for another paracheilinus and maybe another macropharyngodon.

The 3 cirrhilabrus are submale or females. There is a Jordani, rhomboidalis, and rubripinnis. Right now the jordani and rubripinnis are kings of the quarantine tank, so I could use some advice how to give the rhomboid a leg up on the introduction. I had thought about giving up the rubripinnis, but he/she has such a delightful personality, I've really grown really fond of her. Hopefully she stays calm!

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in the display tank, 3 male cirrhilabrus: lineatus, exquisitus, and a solorensis. Also a yellow tang, lawnmower blenny and a pair of ocellaris. The lineatus is a supermale, and rivals the yellow tang for king of the tank. I call him my purple tuna! It's a 60x24x18 tank, around 110 gallons. I may be pushing the number of cirrhilabrus, but I love their mild aggression and colors. Hopefully I have room for another paracheilinus and maybe another macropharyngodon.

The 3 cirrhilabrus are submale or females. There is a Jordani, rhomboidalis, and rubripinnis. Right now the jordani and rubripinnis are kings of the quarantine tank, so I could use some advice how to give the rhomboid a leg up on the introduction. I had thought about giving up the rubripinnis, but he/she has such a delightful personality, I've really grown really fond of her. Hopefully she stays calm!

Thanks!
The rhomboidalis is already behind the 8-ball. It's in the same complex as your dominant fairy, so will bear the brunt of the lineatus' attention.

The best bet is to do 2 fairies in 1 acclimation box and a fairy and flasher in the other simultaneously. Hopefully, this will be enough to diffuse the aggression.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, would it be worth finding another home for the rhomboidalis? I don't want her to have a bad lifetime, but I was hoping there would be enough other fairies in the tank to distract him. But I guess I'll do the social acclimation box and see how it goes.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two female rhomboids in a 40 gal breeder QT for just shy of a month (so close!), and one of them has clearly begun transitioning to male. Today, I noticed that the one that I thought was still female was getting attacked by the transitional male. The front half of the fish seems to have taken the most abuse. I was prepared for this possibility, and I've removed the fish that was getting attacked to yet another QT.

Does all of this suggest that I have two transitional males on my hands? I took a close look at the fish while I was rescuing it, and it was hard to see any signs of transition. Of course, the fish is stressed out, making inspection difficult. I may be able to make out a bit of darkening at the edge of the dorsal fin. The pelvic fins were a bit tattered from the abuse, so no clues there (unless that is a clue?).

I hope this fish recovers. If it does, is there any hope of eventually having these two together in the DT? I thought that I had read somewhere that male rhomboids were more inclined than most wrasses to be tolerant of other males? Is aggression sometimes magnified in the transitional stage, especially when there are two fish at similar stages? Or is my aggressive male going to always be a problem for the other fish? The DT is 220g, will that be big enough for both of these "guys"?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow..So many nice wrasses here. Need to get one too.
Yeah I'm looking at some of these and the ones I have what I thought looked really nice, look pretty plain lol!
You could always get someone such as artfully acrylic to build you a custom top for your tank.
Another option is someone with a 3D printer and PETG. I'm in the middle of re-designing some of the window screen corners to give cord-out paths as the inverted hack-job doesn't look so great aesthetically. I've seen it done locally with another tank using "carved" acrylic corners for lack of a better term, and it worked well.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, would it be worth finding another home for the rhomboidalis? I don't want her to have a bad lifetime, but I was hoping there would be enough other fairies in the tank to distract him. But I guess I'll do the social acclimation box and see how it goes.
It may or may not work out. The fact that the rhomboid is immature helps, as well as there being other fairy wrasses being added at the same time. Social acclimation box and observation are your best courses of action right now.
I've had two female rhomboids in a 40 gal breeder QT for just shy of a month (so close!), and one of them has clearly begun transitioning to male. Today, I noticed that the one that I thought was still female was getting attacked by the transitional male. The front half of the fish seems to have taken the most abuse. I was prepared for this possibility, and I've removed the fish that was getting attacked to yet another QT.

Does all of this suggest that I have two transitional males on my hands? I took a close look at the fish while I was rescuing it, and it was hard to see any signs of transition. Of course, the fish is stressed out, making inspection difficult. I may be able to make out a bit of darkening at the edge of the dorsal fin. The pelvic fins were a bit tattered from the abuse, so no clues there (unless that is a clue?).

I hope this fish recovers. If it does, is there any hope of eventually having these two together in the DT? I thought that I had read somewhere that male rhomboids were more inclined than most wrasses to be tolerant of other males? Is aggression sometimes magnified in the transitional stage, especially when there are two fish at similar stages? Or is my aggressive male going to always be a problem for the other fish? The DT is 220g, will that be big enough for both of these "guys"?
That behavior suggests both are transitioning. Males of the same species are seldom tolerant of each other. I would rehome one instead of adding them to the same tank.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That behavior suggests both are transitioning. Males of the same species are seldom tolerant of each other. I would rehome one instead of adding them to the same tank.

Thanks. If the fish recovers, I'll keep it in a different system.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 83 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back