The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You Eatbreakfast. No telling what variant it is. If the fish is still there this week end I may purchase. I need to get a screen top 1st.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some quick shots of a few new additions and Linus the lineatus
a9b14f1ad0c474acbc5d3c27359c8ac4.jpg
557918dac0047fcfc7669ae3073f934f.jpg
That Lineatus is a beauty!
For the DIY handicapped --

On Amazon you can buy a Large Marina Breeding Box for about $13. You can make it a nice large acclimation box with minimal work that everyone can manage.

1) This is meant to hang off the tank, but a cheap hacksaw and you can remove those bits of plastic easily. You can see what I mean in this pic (best pic I could find)

1743_1_breeding_box_large_2.jpg

2) Get a cheap soldering iron to make holes in the plastic. It will crack if you drill it, and leave sharp shards the wrasse may get cut on

3) use some cheap frag glue to glue on magnets. You can buy water safe magnets, or use some off a dead jebao pump. Lots of options for magnets.

4) make sure the lid is secure. It shouldn't come off but a big Wrasse that's spooked could probably knock it off and end up in the DT. Possibly even knocking the lid into corals as it falls down the tank.

5) EDIT: Lastly, it has inserts which may be removed. But if you are acclimating several fish, it would be wise to keep them!

6) Use it :)
Cool idea!

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on mixing C. brunneus and C. isosceles in a 48x18 tank? Same complex so no go? Or might it work since they are both more peaceful? Would it help if they are added at the same time?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on mixing C. brunneus and C. isosceles in a 48x18 tank? Same complex so no go? Or might it work since they are both more peaceful? Would it help if they are added at the same time?
Not likely to go well at all, added at the same time or not.
If the tank was huge (300+ gallons), then maybe.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunter,
Just curious why they wouldn't get along? Been thinking about a Brunneus but with a Isosceles coming, I'm not sure now.
Thx

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunter,
Just curious why they wouldn't get along? Been thinking about a Brunneus but with a Isosceles coming, I'm not sure now.
Thx
While the complex itself is pretty peaceful, species within the complex typically want to kill each other. ;)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a bit busy the past couple weeks, but looking back over the parts of the thread I've missed:
My two C. rubrisquamis. The big one did I buy around two years ago and the tiny one (juvenile/female?) is swimming in my tank since three weeks. They are very peaceful to each other and to the other tank mates (they are the only fairy wrasses)
IMG_20170709_212648.jpg
. Will they get on with each other in the future, do you think? Does anyone have any experience?
I'm afraid I don't have good news to share here, but the mostly likely scenario is that the younger fish will transition to male and pick off the older fish. On the other hand, it's possible it will remain female and things will be fine.
Just watched my Earmuff wrasse grab food out of my blastos mouth. [emoji58]
147c26cc3994fbca8da7efb07fb5baa8.jpg
bb7f6299304813e090a4a6860d90f8ad.jpg
Yeah, best to feed corals after the lights go out with many wrasses. ;)
oh my 316 pages of wrasse thread heck yeah...ok ok I admit i did not read all of them but guess I should.
wanna should to to @breakfast and @evolved for all the help. the wrasse compatibility thread that evolved did is pure gold :D

one that note I have the wrasse fever and wanted to talk about my tank and get feedback.
tank info:
1.5 year old 90 gal 36x24x24 two island aqua scape using all LR from TBS.
40 galBR sump with simmer & ATS total water volume is 110ish gal.
takn is more LPS, gorgs and softies...

stock list:
1x royal gramma
1x midas blenny (new)
1x flame angel
1x melaraus wrasse
1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (coming )
1X yellow wrasse (coming )

I had a filimanted flasher but some how he made it through my BRS net top and was carpet jerky :(
i would like to add another flasher and maybe 2 fairy wrasses.

i like the tri color and the exquisite.
thoughts...
The only thing I have to add beyond what TJ shared with you is to ensure you take a good look at your screen top. Try to find where/how the past flasher escaped and address that - otherwise the new flashers will eventually end up finding it too. There must be a gap around the edge or a tear in it somewhere - no way it went through a 1/4" hole.

Boops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a bit busy the past couple weeks, but looking back over the parts of the thread I've missed:

I'm afraid I don't have good news to share here, but the mostly likely scenario is that the younger fish will transition to male and pick off the older fish. On the other hand, it's possible it will remain female and things will be fine.

Yeah, best to feed corals after the lights go out with many wrasses. ;)

The only thing I have to add beyond what TJ shared with you is to ensure you take a good look at your screen top. Try to find where/how the past flasher escaped and address that - otherwise the new flashers will eventually end up finding it too. There must be a gap around the edge or a tear in it somewhere - no way it went through a 1/4" hole.
Thank you for your reply. Well I pray for the second alternative :).

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good a shot do I have with a Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus and Cirrhilabrus jordani getting along in a 180 5'x3'x2'?

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solorensis
Naokoae
Brunneus
Laboutei
Isosceles

Any problems with these guys in a 48" 90g along with a mckoskers flasher and yellow coris?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solorensis
Naokoae
Brunneus
Laboutei
Isosceles

Any problems with these guys in a 48" 90g along with a mckoskers flasher and yellow coris?
Brunneus and isosceles are in the same complex, so won't mix well in that sized tank.

Naokoae can be pretty aggressive to flashers and other fairies.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good a shot do I have with a Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus and Cirrhilabrus jordani getting along in a 180 5'x3'x2'?
They will be fine together. Neither are too aggressive.
+1; it'll be fine.
Solorensis
Naokoae
Brunneus
Laboutei
Isosceles

Brunneus and isosceles are in the same complex, so won't mix well in that sized tank.

Naokoae can be pretty aggressive to flashers and other fairies.
My comments as well.
Skip the naoko, and pick either the isosceles or the brunneus - not both.

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1; it'll be fine.

My comments as well.
Skip the naoko, and pick either the isosceles or the brunneus - not both.

Naoko's one of my favorite wrasses but they are very aggressive. I'll probably switch the naoko for a Jordani in this tank and put a naoko in my 270. Thanks

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a bathyphilus get along with a lineatus? They aren't in the same complex, but they are different aggression levels.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 106 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.7%
Back