The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given how important it is to have a secure top, what do people do when they have an over the top return, an auto feeder, and wires that need to come from the tank? Are people able to make more custom tops that cut out the space needed?
I have a top from Artfully Acrylic. You give them all your measurements and where you want to have cords, etc., and they make a custom top for you. Well worth the money and looks great.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a top from Artfully Acrylic. You give them all your measurements and where you want to have cords, etc., and they make a custom top for you. Well worth the money and looks great.

And it doesn't get covered in salt creep?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it doesn't get covered in salt creep?
No, not at all. I'm a little ocd so maybe once a month I take it outside and hose it off to get any dust or pet hairs off the mesh.
the pic is from today, and haven't cleaned it in awhile...

acrilic lid.jpg

Boops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two C. rubrisquamis. The big one did I buy around two years ago and the tiny one (juvenile/female?) is swimming in my tank since three weeks. They are very peaceful to each other and to the other tank mates (they are the only fairy wrasses)
IMG_20170709_212648.jpg
. Will they get on with each other in the future, do you think? Does anyone have any experience?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my 316 pages of wrasse thread heck yeah...ok ok I admit i did not read all of them but guess I should.
wanna should to to @breakfast and @evolved for all the help. the wrasse compatibility thread that evolved did is pure gold :D

one that note I have the wrasse fever and wanted to talk about my tank and get feedback.
tank info:
1.5 year old 90 gal 36x24x24 two island aqua scape using all LR from TBS.
40 galBR sump with simmer & ATS total water volume is 110ish gal.
takn is more LPS, gorgs and softies...

stock list:
1x royal gramma
1x midas blenny (new)
1x flame angel
1x melaraus wrasse
1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (coming )
1X yellow wrasse (coming )

I had a filimanted flasher but some how he made it through my BRS net top and was carpet jerky :(
i would like to add another flasher and maybe 2 fairy wrasses.

i like the tri color and the exquisite.
thoughts...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my 316 pages of wrasse thread heck yeah...ok ok I admit i did not read all of them but guess I should.
wanna should to to @breakfast and @evolved for all the help. the wrasse compatibility thread that evolved did is pure gold :D

one that note I have the wrasse fever and wanted to talk about my tank and get feedback.
tank info:
1.5 year old 90 gal 36x24x24 two island aqua scape using all LR from TBS.
40 galBR sump with simmer & ATS total water volume is 110ish gal.
takn is more LPS, gorgs and softies...

stock list:
1x royal gramma
1x midas blenny (new)
1x flame angel
1x melaraus wrasse
1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (coming )
1X yellow wrasse (coming )

I had a filimanted flasher but some how he made it through my BRS net top and was carpet jerky :(
i would like to add another flasher and maybe 2 fairy wrasses.

i like the tri color and the exquisite.
thoughts...
There is no reason that those species won't work.

Just use a social acclimation box when introducing new wrasses to established wrasses.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ thanks TJ yeah I got critter keeper from amazion and drilled holes in it. not the best box but it does work. might get one of those fancy ones tho...i see a lot have colored bottoms now and not the clear seams like the clear would be better yes?
I know this was asked some where in the thread did not get the answer.

if I did add 2 fairy wrasse and another flasher
think I could also add a Red-Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)?

also wondering if anyone has photos of a Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura)
not 100% sure on the fairies I want :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ thanks TJ yeah I got critter keeper from amazion and drilled holes in it. not the best box but it does work. might get one of those fancy ones tho...i see a lot have colored bottoms now and not the clear seams like the clear would be better yes?
I know this was asked some where in the thread did not get the answer.

if I did add 2 fairy wrasse and another flasher
think I could also add a Red-Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)?

also wondering if anyone has photos of a Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura)
not 100% sure on the fairies I want :)
Just be sure to smooth off the drilled holes of your acclimation box. Some of the holes can be quite sharp.

The colored bottoms of acclimation boxes are helpful because it prevents the fish from trying to go through the bottom.

H. biocellatus will mix well with those species.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be sure to smooth off the drilled holes of your acclimation box. Some of the holes can be quite sharp.

The colored bottoms of acclimation boxes are helpful because it prevents the fish from trying to go through the bottom.

H. biocellatus will mix well with those species.

Ok good to know the solid colors bottom in the social box are OK.
OK yeah I thought the H.biocellatus would mix well was just not sure about being over stocked. to do tend to like a med to high load in my tanks but not over done.

so 2 fairies 2 flashers and 2 Halichoeres along with the few fish I have sounds good to me!
now I just have to decided on them...haha anyone got suggestions for wrasses under $100

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the DIY handicapped --

On Amazon you can buy a Large Marina Breeding Box for about $13. You can make it a nice large acclimation box with minimal work that everyone can manage.

1) This is meant to hang off the tank, but a cheap hacksaw and you can remove those bits of plastic easily. You can see what I mean in this pic (best pic I could find)

1743_1_breeding_box_large_2.jpg

2) Get a cheap soldering iron to make holes in the plastic. It will crack if you drill it, and leave sharp shards the wrasse may get cut on

3) use some cheap frag glue to glue on magnets. You can buy water safe magnets, or use some off a dead jebao pump. Lots of options for magnets.

4) make sure the lid is secure. It shouldn't come off but a big Wrasse that's spooked could probably knock it off and end up in the DT. Possibly even knocking the lid into corals as it falls down the tank.

5) EDIT: Lastly, it has inserts which may be removed. But if you are acclimating several fish, it would be wise to keep them!

6) Use it :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the DIY handicapped --

On Amazon you can buy a Large Marina Breeding Box for about $13. You can make it a nice large acclimation box with minimal work that everyone can manage.

1) This is meant to hang off the tank, but a cheap hacksaw and you can remove those bits of plastic easily. You can see what I mean in this pic (best pic I could find)

1743_1_breeding_box_large_2.jpg

2) Get a cheap soldering iron to make holes in the plastic. It will crack if you drill it, and leave sharp shards the wrasse may get cut on

3) use some cheap frag glue to glue on magnets. You can buy water safe magnets, or use some off a dead jebao pump. Lots of options for magnets.

4) make sure the lid is secure. It shouldn't come off but a big Wrasse that's spooked could probably knock it off and end up in the DT. Possibly even knocking the lid into corals as it falls down the tank.

5) EDIT: Lastly, it has inserts which may be removed. But if you are acclimating several fish, it would be wise to keep them!

6) Use it :)

Heck yeah! I love simple DIY stuff like this. think I might give that a try as my last aptmpt of the critter keep holes are pretty sharp. ouch dont want that.
why do you have to use a cheap soldering iron will it mess up a nice one?
have any pic of it in action?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll probably ruin the soldering iron -- Additionally I'd say do it outside and use a fan to boot. Breathing in melting plastic can't be good for the lungs.

And yes, you could do that. But depending on the tank, that may or may not work, especially as many people use a screen.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what can You Guys tell me about an African Fairy wrasse. Cirrhillarus something ? Is it somewhat peaceful to other wrasses? Is it a sand sleeper? I saw a nice healthy one at the LFS today it is a candidate for the new 180 . To be honest all the similar names & types are confusing to me. Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what can You Guys tell me about an African Fairy wrasse. Cirrhillarus something ? Is it somewhat peaceful to other wrasses? Is it a sand sleeper? I saw a nice healthy one at the LFS today it is a candidate for the new 180 . To be honest all the similar names & types are confusing to me. Thanks
No fairy wrasses need sand to sleep, as they find a crevice in the rock and form a mucus cocoon.

If it is C. africanus, it is medium aggressive to other fairy and flasher wrasdes, but not too bad for a 180g. If it is the African/Indian Ocean variant of C. exquisitus, it will mix well with other wrasses.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse Terminal Phase Male and was supposed to get a mccosters flasher wrasse at the same time but live aquaria said that my flasher was damaged and did not send it. Now I am worried about introducing and buying flasher wrasse. I love flasher wrasses and was wondering if I would still be able to introduce one to my reefer 250. tia, Rich

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse Terminal Phase Male and was supposed to get a mccosters flasher wrasse at the same time but live aquaria said that my flasher was damaged and did not send it. Now I am worried about introducing and buying flasher wrasse. I love flasher wrasses and was wondering if I would still be able to introduce one to my reefer 250. tia, Rich
You should still be able to add the flasher. Just utilize a social acclimation box to introduce a new wrasse to an existing wrasse.

Back