The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hunter,

First let me say thank you for putting this all together, it's easily the single most helpful article I've read. I'm working on a stocking list right now for a new 90g reef I'm in the process of setting up and I wanted to get your feedback on it and see if you would make any changes. I'm looking at doing a wrasse dominated tank, and I'm wanting more smaller fish rather than fewer larger fish. I'm not set on any particular fish on this list if something doesn't look like it will mesh well I'm fine with leaving it out, my main goal is to get as many of these interesting fish as will coexist peacefully. I'm planning on stocking flashers first, as far as I understand it a few males of different species should coexist as long as I add them all together, I'm thinking 3 or 4 would be better, but as far as I can tell mccoskers, yellowfin & carpenters all look extremely similar, and Blue, linespot, & filamented are a second group of extremely similar looking wrasses. Can I combine two from each of these groups or are they too similar? Should I just pick 1 from column A and one from column B and keep it at 2 flashers, or would 3 or 4 be better? Can you recommend a mix that would be compatible?

Most of the rest of the wrasses I'm considering are Cirrhilabrus, I'm considering Exquisite, Lubbocks, Lineatus, Orangeback and Labouts in that stocking order. The lineatus and labouts are very close together on the chart and the labouts is orange for aggression, are these two going to be one or the other or can I have both? Third, I'd like one halichores, Vroliks, Christmas or ornate in that order of preference. Is any one of those more likely to get along with the rest Than the others? I'm planning on stocking this one near the end. Finally there are the non wrasse tank mates, I get conflicting info from various websites out there for how much additional bio load I can have, I'm not expecting to add all of these, just a quick list that I'm interested in that I'd like to get some feedback on whether or not they will be comparable with the wrasses I've chosen: chalk bass, flame angel, lawnmower blenny, kole tang, and my wife really wants a blue spot Toby, which I don't think is going to be a good tankmate, but I'd like confirmation on that. I don't have a ton of rock or bottom dwellers so if you have any suggestions that I haven't considered I'd be interested to hear. Clowns don't really do much for me, but I'm open to pretty much anything. So basically I've got a finalists list, but not a final list. I'm really interested to hear what your thoughts are and what you'd add or remove from the list. Thanks for the help!

@eatbreakfast @evolved

Here are some pictures of how I'm thinking of doing my aquascape, how does this look for a wrasse habitat? The structures are between 14-16" without sand, total tank height is 21" am I leaving enough swimming room? My stocking list is in the post I quoted above. Thanks for the feedback!

IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast @evolved

Here are some pictures of how I'm thinking of doing my aquascape, how does this look for a wrasse habitat? The structures are between 14-16" without sand, total tank height is 21" am I leaving enough swimming room? My stocking list is in the post I quoted above. Thanks for the feedback!

IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
That aquascape should provide plenty of swimming space and enough cover for the wrasses.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of how I'm thinking of doing my aquascape, how does this look for a wrasse habitat? The structures are between 14-16" without sand, total tank height is 21" am I leaving enough swimming room?
Yes to enough swimming room, but with rock 5-6" below the water line, you're not leaving much room for coral growth. ;)

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to enough swimming room, but with rock 5-6" below the water line, you're not leaving much room for coral growth. ;)

I'm not planning any SPS, actually, I'm not sure I'm going to have much coral near the top of the tank, most of the LPS will want lower light, maybe I'll nave some ricordea and other mushrooms at the top, maybe a few high light LPS... do you think i should try to lower the structure a little bit, maybe put the sand in around it rather than put it on top of sand?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe put the sand in around it rather than put it on top of sand?
That always leads to a more stable structure. :)
The height doesn't concern me if it doesn't concern you.

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That always leads to a more stable structure. :)
The height doesn't concern me if it doesn't concern you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for opinions on the height of the structure, I just wanted to clarify that there wasn't going to be any SPS. I've done fowlr before, but this is a first reef tank for me so if others think the structure is too high I want to know, I'll defer to the opinions of those with more reefing experience than me :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for opinions on the height of the structure, I just wanted to clarify that there wasn't going to be any SPS. I've done fowlr before, but this is a first reef tank for me so if others think the structure is too high I want to know, I'll defer to the opinions of those with more reefing experience than me :)
A rule of thumb I once heard (and a rule that I like) is to try and keep the top of the rock work no taller than half the tank height.
Credit to Fellman/Levenson MACNA 2012.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleared out all my Palys, lost about a third of the rock, but that's opened up a space on the left, and the fish really like the open swimming area. So consider doing it not symmetrical.

Also if you can make as many swim throughs, and caves as possible, they love hiding and coming out. If you haven't watched evolved's video from macna, there are some videos of their natural habitat, which explains why they like some rubble and open areas I think. Vertical space is very helpful, because we can't give them any more horizontal space otherwise we'd have gotten bigger tanks!
8d9792bf8d0c13ee725d3bebe7d5a8ef.jpg

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20170927-191923.png
Here's one of mine that I need to rehome sadly. It's a Macropharyngodon moyeri. I guess they are rare cause I can't even find them for sale online
Found out it's a Macropharyngodon moyeri

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gahh, my leopard and melanurus are stealing food from my brain corals which are slow eaters. The fairys don't seem to bother them, but the small mouthed ones just pick the mysis out of its mouths! My acans eat the shrimp fast enough, but the trachys are sloooooow. I think I'll put it on strainer over the trachys while they eat.

IMG_20171007_160610.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll put it on strainer over the trachys while they eat.
You'll have to if you feed during the photo period.

Feeding them after lights out is the easier solution. ;)

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to if you feed during the photo period.

Feeding them after lights out is the easier solution. ;)
Thanks, luckily it's just the haliochores and Macropharyngodon, which go to sleep early!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, luckily it's just the haliochores and Macropharyngodon, which go to sleep early!
If I'm feeding dendros in my tank during the evening, I have to hover with the coral feeder and swat away the fish until the coral eats. :p
After dark is much more care free, but sometimes I don't want to bother with it that late at night. :D

Postal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some input on a stocking list and order for my 125g. The tank will have a pair of clowns and starry blenny as the only other likely fish.

3 leopards (probably bipartitus)

C. laboutei
C. lineatus (or rhomboid)
C. aurantidorsalis (must have)
C. naokoae

H. iridis (I would love a Dusky as well, but my last one was a demon once he hit 4")

Any thoughts on this list and a suggested order to add them? Would any flashers work with this group or is that asking too much.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some input on a stocking list and order for my 125g. The tank will have a pair of clowns and starry blenny as the only other likely fish.

3 leopards (probably bipartitus)

C. laboutei
C. lineatus (or rhomboid)
C. aurantidorsalis (must have)
C. naokoae

H. iridis (I would love a Dusky as well, but my last one was a demon once he hit 4")

Any thoughts on this list and a suggested order to add them? Would any flashers work with this group or is that asking too much.
That list should be fine. C. aurantidorsalis should go in first and be allowed to get established before the other fairy wrasses are added. The labouti and naokoae should be last. The others can be added in any order after that.

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20170927-191923.png
Here's one of mine that I need to rehome sadly. It's a Macropharyngodon moyeri. I guess they are rare cause I can't even find them for sale online

The is a nice moyeri! I have a Macropharyngodon kuiteri. Are you rehoming because of aggression? I know my kuiteri is aggressive. The kuiteri and my powder brown tang run my 120g. I tried another leopard and I think the kuiteri killed it [emoji853]

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The is a nice moyeri! I have a Macropharyngodon kuiteri. Are you rehoming because of aggression? I know my kuiteri is aggressive. The kuiteri and my powder brown tang run my 120g. I tried another leopard and I think the kuiteri killed it [emoji853]
Aggression from my Melanurus. He almost killed this guy a couple months ago. He's been bound to a 16g Biocube and I feel bad cause he should have a bigger tank

Last edited by a moderator:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back