The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Breakin Newz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. tkiry1

tkiry1 Well-Known Member

He's really nice and has a great personality... Lol.... Eats like a pig..

2. stevo01

stevo01 R33F!N @DD!CT R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

That was awesome! Love the new chart. Its flows better and a little better to understand now. Man that was good stuff! Bravo Hunter!

evolved, saltyhog and Maritimer like this.
  3. Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

@eatbreakfast @evolved

Here are some pictures of how I'm thinking of doing my aquascape, how does this look for a wrasse habitat? The structures are between 14-16" without sand, total tank height is 21" am I leaving enough swimming room? My stocking list is in the post I quoted above. Thanks for the feedback!

IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0775.JPG

stevo01 likes this.
  4. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

That aquascape should provide plenty of swimming space and enough cover for the wrasses.

5. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes to enough swimming room, but with rock 5-6" below the water line, you're not leaving much room for coral growth. ;)

6. Dodgersfan

I'm not planning any SPS, actually, I'm not sure I'm going to have much coral near the top of the tank, most of the LPS will want lower light, maybe I'll nave some ricordea and other mushrooms at the top, maybe a few high light LPS... do you think i should try to lower the structure a little bit, maybe put the sand in around it rather than put it on top of sand?

evolved likes this.
  7. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

That always leads to a more stable structure. :)
    The height doesn't concern me if it doesn't concern you.

8. Dodgersfan

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for opinions on the height of the structure, I just wanted to clarify that there wasn't going to be any SPS. I've done fowlr before, but this is a first reef tank for me so if others think the structure is too high I want to know, I'll defer to the opinions of those with more reefing experience than me :)

9. evolved

A rule of thumb I once heard (and a rule that I like) is to try and keep the top of the rock work no taller than half the tank height.
    Credit to Fellman/Levenson MACNA 2012.

10. Radman73

Radman73 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

You just made me feel tons better about my scape lol!

[​IMG]

11. Ocelaris

Ocelaris Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I just cleared out all my Palys, lost about a third of the rock, but that's opened up a space on the left, and the fish really like the open swimming area. So consider doing it not symmetrical.

Also if you can make as many swim throughs, and caves as possible, they love hiding and coming out. If you haven't watched evolved's video from macna, there are some videos of their natural habitat, which explains why they like some rubble and open areas I think. Vertical space is very helpful, because we can't give them any more horizontal space otherwise we'd have gotten bigger tanks!
    [​IMG]

Radman73 likes this.
  12. watchguy123

watchguy123 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award

Another of my wrasses, love them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick James, townjas, JakeK and 5 others like this.
  13. ca2or

ca2or Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20170927-191923.png Here's one of mine that I need to rehome sadly. It's a Macropharyngodon moyeri. I guess they are rare cause I can't even find them for sale online

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  14. ca2or

ca2or Well-Known Member

Found out it's a Macropharyngodon moyeri

15. Ocelaris

Gahh, my leopard and melanurus are stealing food from my brain corals which are slow eaters. The fairys don't seem to bother them, but the small mouthed ones just pick the mysis out of its mouths! My acans eat the shrimp fast enough, but the trachys are sloooooow. I think I'll put it on strainer over the trachys while they eat.

IMG_20171007_160610.jpg

16. evolved

You'll have to if you feed during the photo period.

Feeding them after lights out is the easier solution. ;)

Ocelaris likes this.
  17. Ocelaris

Thanks, luckily it's just the haliochores and Macropharyngodon, which go to sleep early!

evolved likes this.
  18. evolved

If I'm feeding dendros in my tank during the evening, I have to hover with the coral feeder and swat away the fish until the coral eats. :p
    After dark is much more care free, but sometimes I don't want to bother with it that late at night. :D

19. Postal

Postal Well-Known Member

I would love some input on a stocking list and order for my 125g. The tank will have a pair of clowns and starry blenny as the only other likely fish.

3 leopards (probably bipartitus)

C. laboutei
    C. lineatus (or rhomboid)
    C. aurantidorsalis (must have)
    C. naokoae

H. iridis (I would love a Dusky as well, but my last one was a demon once he hit 4")

Any thoughts on this list and a suggested order to add them? Would any flashers work with this group or is that asking too much.

20. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

That list should be fine. C. aurantidorsalis should go in first and be allowed to get established before the other fairy wrasses are added. The labouti and naokoae should be last. The others can be added in any order after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted