The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts/ experience with Cirrhilabrus Brunneus? Not a whole lot of info out there.

Today is day 4 in qt and he's still pretty timid of me. He does, however, eat anything frozen that I put in there

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local fish place got one and it shipped well, it's actually eating, should I take a chance? I know these guys are hard to get eating and all that.....
de22ef499953368186dba25f5a14eb4c.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts/ experience with Cirrhilabrus Brunneus? Not a whole lot of info out there.

Today is day 4 in qt and he's still pretty timid of me. He does, however, eat anything frozen that I put in there
Behavior is comparable to C. lunatus.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local fish place got one and it shipped well, it's actually eating, should I take a chance? I know these guys are hard to get eating and all that.....
de22ef499953368186dba25f5a14eb4c.jpg
Getting them eating isn't the hard part with these males. Rather, males seem to do well for a few weeks/months, then suddenly start 'pacing' the glass, getting skinny, and eventually waste away.

I personally suspect that they are sensitive to kh swings.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun - these three were on sale simultaneously, and all three on my preferred wrasse list (which, to be honest, is a fairly long list...)

All have been through one treatment of General Cure, and appear to be doing well - though as you can see, the orange-back gets picked on a bit.

~Bruce

That's an exceptional orange back. Love the Labouti too, what was the third? Didn't see him on the video.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun - these three were on sale simultaneously, and all three on my preferred wrasse list (which, to be honest, is a fairly long list...)

All have been through one treatment of General Cure, and appear to be doing well - though as you can see, the orange-back gets picked on a bit.

~Bruce

Love that orange back! It's as pretty as mine! Great fish. Very peaceful, from anyway, and also very active. Used to share a barnacle at night with a firefish of all things.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely a recessive genetic trait.
Agree, and it may be isolated to one particular area.

IME lunatus is pretty timid (and to TJ's point, brunneus is a close cousin). There's still some debate on what brunneus really is. Its entire range overlaps with that of lunatus, and that's quite odd in itself. Some think that brunneus may not actually be a unique species, but a morph of lunatus. Unless brunneus is found at an entirely different depth level than lunatus, things don't entirely make sense yet.
But the short story is what TJ already said - treat it like lunatus. :)
That's an exceptional orange back. Love the Labouti too, what was the third? Didn't see him on the video.
I think I saw a female hooded in there?
Magmas seem to be everywhere nowadays. Any information on compatibility for them?
They're on the chart; in the jordani sub-group.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME lunatus is pretty timid (and to TJ's point, brunneus is a close cousin). There's still some debate on what brunneus really is. Its entire range overlaps with that of lunatus, and that's quite odd in itself. Some think that brunneus may not actually be a unique species, but a morph of lunatus. Unless brunneus is found at an entirely different depth level than lunatus, things don't entirely make sense yet.
But the short story is what TJ already said - treat it like lunatus. :)

Thank you. I'm really digging his colors.

Have a question for you then. I was going to hold off on prazi until he became a little more outgoing but, if he's going to a bit more timid anyway, is there any benefit to holding off any longer? He's been in qt now for 4 days and is eating quite well

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Love that orange back! It's as pretty as mine! Great fish. Very peaceful, from anyway, and also very active. Used to share a barnacle at night with a firefish of all things.

I think I saw a female hooded in there?

Can't pull a hood over Hunter's eyes! Yes - that's a "Micronesian" hooded, C. bathyphilus, staying to the shadows through most of the video, making but the briefest of appearances. S/he's the closest to giving me concern at the moment, as s/he tends to take larger pieces of food, but then spit them - over and over again, while the orange-back and Labout's just snarf everything in the water.

Orange-backed fairies have been a grail and a jinx for me. (Why does it so often work that way?) The first two I attempted died quickly in QT, before I realized the trouble was being caused by ionic copper (I was using the Brightwell version), but I got the third one into my 65 gallon display, where he proved to be a gentle and brilliant fish. While moving fish from the 65 into a "re-quarantine" in a 75, and combining fish from two different tanks in doing so, that wrasse was relentlessly attacked by a Caribbean striped parrotfish (Scarus iseri), which turned out not to be labrid-safe. This new one's a bit smaller, and exquisitely colored, with very clear, crisp markings, and those delightful rainbowed "sqiggles" in his dorsal and tailfins to reward those who look closely. It's my first time working with both the hooded and Labout's.

~Bruce

ironeagle2006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of next Saturday in my 180 I will have 4 wrasses in my tank a Formosa that is changing to adult color a mated pair of Birds and my wife's favorite of all a Aussie Harley Tusk we are getting from a friend that is moving out of state.

Lucky2ndChance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my first post. We are currently setting up a 350 gallon tank which will be FOWLR and on the semi-aggressive side, with a couple of Puffers and a Zebra Moray Eel, along with a few others. I would love to add some Wrasses since I love them so much! Here are the ones I would like to include:

Pinkface
Paddlefin OR Blunthead
Bluehead
Lyretail OR Goldbar OR Vrolik's
Richmond's

I realize some of these are classified as peaceful, some as semi-aggressive and some as aggressive, so I probably won't be able to have them all. I would love some input as to which ones are likely to get along together, as well as whether it would be best to add them all at the same time or in stages. Even though we are starting big, we are extremely new to the hobby so all advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back