The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's much more a matter of what you like, budget, and what is available.
Here's a good tool: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.352/
;)

Love that chart, it is what helped me make my list to begin with. Really wanted a Scotts but they're jerks according to that list :( Anyways, last post on which wrasse to get:
Green Wrasse - why does LA say it gets up to 8" btw? Would this guy do well with the others?

Thanks again for your help!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really wanted a Scotts but they're jerks according to that list
Yup, and they don't keep their bright colors either.
Green Wrasse - why does LA say it gets up to 8" btw? Would this guy do well with the others?
Halichoeres chloropterus? Because they do get to 8", they do dull out to a grab gray (only juvi's are green), and they do become a huge jerkhead to everyone else.
You don't want one.

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question for y'all. I have a supermale labouti, and just added a magma and they are doing great together. I would like to add a pintail, crescent, and rhomboid to the tank. How do y'all think they would get along in a 120?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question for y'all. I have a supermale labouti, and just added a magma and they are doing great together. I would like to add a pintail, crescent, and rhomboid to the tank. How do y'all think they would get along in a 120?
In a 120g I would recommend only getting either C. isosceles or C. lunatus, not both. As saltyhog mentioned, they are in the same complex so will have more conflict.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have good tips on maintaining a Potters Wrasse in QT.

Planning on adding small tupperware of sand, feeding live foods.

Any meds I should be cautious with?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have good tips on maintaining a Potters Wrasse in QT.

Planning on adding small tupperware of sand, feeding live foods.

Any meds I should be cautious with?
Ideally starting with one that is eating. Wrasses can be sensitive to copper, but can handle it, copper levels just have to be raised slowly. I strongly recommend using a dewormer, such as praziquantral or metrozidanole.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally starting with one that is eating. Wrasses can be sensitive to copper, but can handle it, copper levels just have to be raised slowly. I strongly recommend using a dewormer, such as praziquantral or metrozidanole.

Would General Cure be ok? since it has both

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would General Cure be ok? since it has both
I have used general cure and it worked well except once. And that fish survived for a long time, but it had worms that I couldn't get rid of and he eventually starved after a final round when he stopped eating. However I don't blame general cure, but it is an appetite suppressant, so I would wait until they're eating well if you can.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3002.PNG
I'm generally not an impulse buyer but I couldn't resist on this one...Literally. I kept checking his availability for a few days while I tried to dig up some info on him.I saw a great price and pulled the trigger. Could find VERY little info on them, just a few brief articles by reefbuilders, so any suggestions are welcome. I received him yesterday and he was eating cyclops/brine this am and also some Rod's food this afternoon. Still pretty shy so this is the best pic I've gotten. I'm head over heels in love with this fish already. Not the "flashiest" fish I own but there's something so striking and he such a subtle beauty. He did display to his reflection so I got to see the red intensify and those blue highlights!! Lawdy lawd it was pretty lol
Cirrhilabrus Brunneus.

I'm thinking a few stress free days, 2 rounds of prazi, and then several weeks of observation . My other wrasses handled prazi quite well for flukes, as well as metro/focus for some stringy poo not taken care of by the prazipro.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flame wrasses are the "Mohawk" ones just showing some individual variations? Is it regional? Or is there potential for any female to turn into a "mohawk" male.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flame wrasses are the "Mohawk" ones just showing some individual variations? Is it regional? Or is there potential for any female to turn into a "mohawk" male.
It's a designation given by a supplier for males with yellow in the dorsal. All C. jordani are endemic to Hawaii, so not a regional variant.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun - these three were on sale simultaneously, and all three on my preferred wrasse list (which, to be honest, is a fairly long list...)

All have been through one treatment of General Cure, and appear to be doing well - though as you can see, the orange-back gets picked on a bit.

~Bruce

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back