The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Breakin Newz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jumplittlechloe

jumplittlechloe Well-Known Member

The is a nice moyeri! I have a Macropharyngodon kuiteri. Are you rehoming because of aggression? I know my kuiteri is aggressive. The kuiteri and my powder brown tang run my 120g. I tried another leopard and I think the kuiteri killed it

2. ca2or

ca2or Well-Known Member

Aggression from my Melanurus. He almost killed this guy a couple months ago. He's been bound to a 16g Biocube and I feel bad cause he should have a bigger tank

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
  3. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

It's okay, but I do have some reservations against the naoko. If you skipped that one, flashers would also be okay.

4. Jstn

Jstn Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Well, I found out how bad over stocked is; despite low nutrients and lots of fish I had a bacteria bloom that in combination with closing the windows for winter (minnesota), led to low O2 (assumed by ph being low) which ended up in 3 fish death. One being a yellow tang and the other being my pair of rhomboids. Kinda sucks to loose both of them but my other wrasse and massive lineatus are doing well, I will be pairing down my collection to prevent this scenario and give them more room to grow.

Edit:

NH3 = 0 NO3 = 4 PO4= 0.10

5. DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28 Well-Known Member

I have a 93 gallon cube with lots of rock work and 2 inch sand bed. Currently I have a whitetail bristletooth tang that would not play nice with a Flame Angel but does play nice with a pair of clownfish. I would like to add 3 leopard wrasse females to the tank which I think may help them acclimate as well as confuse A-Hole tang. The tank is 4 months old, has had 2 separate seedings (4 weeks apart) of algae barn 10K pods. I see them constantly on the glass. I used all base rock so there is nothing else in there except bacteria. Does anyone thing this would be an issue? All parameters are zero.

6. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

In most cases it's fine, but I have had Ctenchaetus tangs really have a strong dislike to leopard wrasses.

7. DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28 Well-Known Member

Do you think removing the Tang and putting him in time out, then adding the angel and 3 wrasse would work to settle the tang down?

8. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Not necessarily. The worst tang I've had was a yellow eye kole that was a juvenile and added after the wrasses. He was relentless and had to go.

9. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

What did the A. femininus on DD go for today? Didn't know they had it till it was already gone.

10. eatbreakfast

$799.99

saltyhog likes this.
  11. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

Is that par for them? I was thinking they were usually about $1,000? #savingupforone

12. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

They've been slowly coming down in price. ~4 years ago they were 999, ~2 years ago they were 899, and now this year 799.

saltyhog likes this.
  13. Radman73

Radman73 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Awesome, in 12 years I'll be able to get one!

mfinn likes this.
  14. evolved

I wouldn't advise anyone to hold their breath expecting the trend to continue. :p

Labridaedicted, Wrangy and Radman73 like this.
  15. TroyHoot

TroyHoot Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Finally added some wrasse to the tank today. Was planning to put a Carpenters and Filament wrasse in my acclimation box. The Carpenters is in the box. The Filament wasnt having any of that and jump in the main tank LOL. The filament seems fine, hes behind my main rock structure just swimming in the current. Colored up, just chilling back there. Nobody has messed with him yet. Royal gramma is only one Im concerned with. That would only be if the wrasse tries to sleep in his cave.

Carpenters wont let me take a picture of him. Anytime i get close to the acclimation box, he plays dead and tries to camouflage himself with the PVC and the box. Gets an ugly off white striped color to him. Its almost funny.

Planning to add a couple fairys after these guys settle in. Still debating which ones I want though.

16. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Well-Known Member

I have a flasher, coris and cleaner wrasse in my tank. Hubby saw an exquisite today at the lfs. He really wants to add this beauty to our tank. Does anyone see an issue with adding the exquisite? Tanks is 125g. Upgrading to 180 in the next year. Acrylic tops to keep them inside the tank. Is an acclimation box necessary?

17. eatbreakfast

It should be fine. But introduce with a social acclimation box.

18. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Well-Known Member

Thank you. I actually asked this same question in the wrasse lover's thread as my husband is driving me crazy waiting to see if we can add it. Guess I know where we're headed tomorrow. :):)

saltyhog likes this.
  19. JakeK

JakeK Well-Known Member

My exquisite was my favorite fish by far. Which variant did you order from LA?

20. dwwataz

dwwataz wrasse enthusiast R2R Supporter

I went with an African exquisite. They're all pretty fish, but that was my favorite variant

JakeK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted