The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking setting up a 150 4-24-30. I want to do a Cirrhilabrus laboutei ,Paracheilinus lineopunctatus , Cirrhilabrus Lineatus and a Cirrhilabrus isosceles, Cirrhilabrus jordani, Cirrhilabrus exquisitus, Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis . Non of them are all to agressive.

What do you guys think? Will I be ok with this group?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking setting up a 150 4-24-30. I want to do a Cirrhilabrus laboutei ,Paracheilinus lineopunctatus , Cirrhilabrus Lineatus and a Cirrhilabrus isosceles, Cirrhilabrus jordani, Cirrhilabrus exquisitus, Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis . Non of them are all to agressive.

They should be fine. Just use a social acclimation box when introducing a new wrasse to an existing one.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yep. Use acclimation box for each new addition and I would also add the Labouti last.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like they said, use your acclimation box. I did have a small problem between a C. rhomboidalis and a C. lineatus but nothing severe. I would add the Rhomboid first as he's the most demure of that group. Lineatus and Labout's last if it were me.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys. I have a fish trap that is 11-6-6. Will that work as my acclimation box? How long do you leave new fish in the box?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I got a picture of my Isosceles. He is so shy, keep on hiding for 2 days, I cannot even get him to feed. My QT was fairly stock with LR, I have to removed all the LR, and put in one segment of the PVC so he can hide there, but I can squirt food there for him. Finally he come out yesterday. I was able to snapped this picture with my cell phone. I need to clean the front of my QT so I can use a better camera an take picture of him. IMO, he is a beauty. I cannot believe that I got him for $69.00.
IsoscelesFlasher2018071001.jpg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am gonna have to be on the look out at my LFS.....
They are a little pricy but well worth it imo. I got mine online from exotic reef creations but it seems they are out of business. I have seen them on sea dwelling (wholesale) lists very occasionally. I have also seen them available at ny aquatics. They are definitely uncommon but mine has always been a great addition to my reef.
I have never seen another one in person.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a little pricy but well worth it imo. I got mine online from exotic reef creations but it seems they are out of business. I have seen them on sea dwelling (wholesale) lists very occasionally. I have also seen them available at ny aquatics. They are definitely uncommon but mine has always been a great addition to my reef.
I have never seen another one in person.
Thanks for that info....I sent a msg to my LFS....to see if he can be on the lookout for me!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the aggressiveness of sailfins? (c. cyanogularis) My guess given they're in a more aggressive complex there will be some issues? Most of the wrasse I have/will have are all more peaceful and smaller species so I don't want anything that's going to cause grief!

I have one that is with my orange back and so far been fine. When released from the acclimation box, he and the orange back circled each other for about 30 seconds and bit each other a few times and that was that. Been in there a few days short of a month now. Maybe I got lucky with mine. I have a pintail and tricolor coming soon so have to decide which tank they are going in. Had to move my rosy scales since he and the orange back would not stop fighting. No matter how many times it was put in the acclimation box.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success with fairy and flasher wrasses in cp qt can cooper. I would like to avoid copper and use cp but don't want to lose a few wrasse trying it out. I know humblefish has had varried results and was curious about others success or not

I ran my orange back through CP, no issues. I know @Humblefish has recently been running some fairy, and I believe flashers through CP, and been successful as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my orange back through CP, no issues. I know @Humblefish has recently been running some fairy, and I believe flashers through CP, and been successful as well.

Fairy wrasses yes; flashers no. ;)

I still using (chelated) copper to treat flasher wrasses.

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost a pintail shortly after doing a half dose of CP but believe it had other issues (nearly died from prazi, but was saved by rapid water change thanks to advice I got here, and was also rapidly acclimated from prior owner a few weeks prior so who knows if there was an effect there).
I'd imagine CP is still fine for the most part, but I just switched from cupramine to copper power in anticipation on possible dosing.
@Humblefish do you feel that between chelated copper and CP is one safer for fairy wrasses?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish do you feel that between chelated copper and CP is one safer for fairy wrasses?

Without question, I would use Chloroquine (CP) on Fairy Wrasses. I've run enough of them through now to be 100% confident of that. Experimentation is still ongoing, but I'm also reasonably confident Halichoeres are safe in CP as well. With all other wrasses, I would still use chelated copper (e.g. Copper Power) for now.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without question, I would use Chloroquine (CP) on Fairy Wrasses. I've run enough of them through now to be 100% confident of that. Experimentation is still ongoing, but I'm also reasonably confident Halichoeres are safe in CP as well. With all other wrasses, I would still use chelated copper (e.g. Copper Power) for now.
Great to know and thanks for the continued research and updates!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 135 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%

Back