The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone have experience with (Cirrhilabrus africanus) KwaZulu Fairy Wrasse? Thinking of buying one but don’t know much about them. He would be going into a 210 gallon tank with a bunch of other wrasses. The only wrasse and I’m a little nervous is the Naoko which can be a little mean.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone have experience with (Cirrhilabrus africanus) KwaZulu Fairy Wrasse? Thinking of buying one but don’t know much about them. He would be going into a 210 gallon tank with a bunch of other wrasses. The only wrasse and I’m a little nervous is the Naoko which can be a little mean.
Do not mix africanus with naokoae. They are both in the same complex and naokoae can be pretty aggressive to other fairy wrasses, even more so to a species within it's own complex.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That poor Attenuate just sitting there on Divers Den for over a day now.

I would love to get it but that is way too much for a flasher wrasse for me. My previous attenuatus cost me about $250. Hard for me to understand more than doubling in price in just 2-3 years!

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to introduce 3 wrasses from my QT (Katherines, pintail, pink margin) to DT in a few days. My DT has one wrasse (C. rubeus who is kind of an *******). Do I just put them all in? I only have one acclimation box unfortunately.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to introduce 3 wrasses from my QT (Katherines, pintail, pink margin) to DT in a few days. My DT has one wrasse (C. rubeus who is kind of an *******). Do I just put them all in? I only have one acclimation box unfortunately.
I’d try to trap the Rubeus and give him a timeout and add the others first.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to get it but that is way too much for a flasher wrasse for me. My previous attenuatus cost me about $250. Hard for me to understand more than doubling in price in just 2-3 years!
Crazy how they have gone up. Just a couple months ago they were 300.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New baby! Yes. It meant I’m running 4 QT tanks at the same time...but he was so beautiful. Eating awesome and so cool. Male - but still in transition. So much personality! Love him! The LFS called him a Japanese pintail. Anyone know why? We named him wasabi.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New baby! Yes. It meant I’m running 4 QT tanks at the same time...but he was so beautiful. Eating awesome and so cool. Male - but still in transition. So much personality! Love him! The LFS called him a Japanese pintail. Anyone know why? We named him wasabi.

Not still in transition, fully male. Cirrhilabrus isosceles pintail fairy wrasse. Most likely from the Philippines, Japanese specimens are not often brought into the U.S. and when they are cost significantly more money, but not any major differences.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not still in transition, fully male. Cirrhilabrus isosceles pintail fairy wrasse. Most likely from the Philippines, Japanese specimens are not often brought into the U.S. and when they are cost significantly more money, but not any major differences.

Thanks! I’m learning a lot more about them! I don’t need to know everything about a fish. I loved that he was unique! His colors will still change? Yeah?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m learning a lot more about them! I don’t need to know everything about a fish. I loved that he was unique! His colors will still change? Yeah?
Perhaps a little more vibrant, but that is dependent on social situations.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a little more vibrant, but that is dependent on social situations.

Great! He’s beautiful. I have a mccosker flasher and a blue star leopard.
Other inhabitants are a flame hawk, scooter blenny, 2 clowns, wheelers shrimp goby, cardinal.
Don’t think any problems there.

Over the next 2 months, the Naso tang, powder blue, sailfin and foxface will be in. Niger trigger after that, then him.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how prices differ around the world.

I picked one up for the equivalent of $145 a bit over a month ago. The LFS did say prices have been going up, they were sold for $110 about 6 months ago. Likely because I'm much closer to Kenya than the US is.

Sadly, on the other hand a Rhomboid wrasse would set me back the equivalent of $485.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny how prices differ around the world.

I picked one up for the equivalent of $145 a bit over a month ago. The LFS did say prices have been going up, they were sold for $110 about 6 months ago. Likely because I'm much closer to Kenya than the US is.

Sadly, on the other hand a Rhomboid wrasse would set me back the equivalent of $485.
Makes sense although, a terminal male Rhomboidalis here in the US is still close to 400.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices do very it doesn't help they are not great shippers to begin with.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back