The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing with you all my new flame wrasse I got from TSM corals. He's been in the DT for a few days now. Knock on wood: no bullying from others. I've noticed he has an arch shape body. Is that normal? thanks...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a spinal injury to me. Did he run in to the side of the tank when he was introduced? He may not be debilitated by it but I don't know that will improve.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a spinal injury to me. Did he run in to the side of the tank when he was introduced? He may not be debilitated by it but I don't know that will improve.
He's been like that since I released him into the tank.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BiocellatusWrasse2018082601.jpg

Tried this fish 4x and I never got em to live past a week.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was a bit worrisome about adding a tiny pair (1-1.5") of wrasses into my tank, but after seeing the female chow down on a black worm and the male downing a mysis (both eating pellets), I am growing to love them. Picture of the male in its grow out tank.

20180827_211737.jpg

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5ish years.

I have a follow-on question on the behavioral changes in an aging wrasse, which I've actually been meaning to ask for a while. Until last night I had a big boy P. mccoskeri, another genus I have read on here that has a relatively short lifespan. I got him in March 2016 as a young terminal (?) male. Given the rate at which my P. piscilineatus has grown since I got him at a much smaller and undeveloped size, I would guess the McCosker's was probably already 12 to 18 months old at the time.

In the past 6 months he has stopped flashing other fishes, something that he would incessantly do to anything that swam, only a year ago. While he still had a nice dark red/orange body, his lines and markings have faded quite a bit. For the past 3 months I would often find him "resting" on the substrate. He was still eating, but in the past month or so I would often had to show him I there with the food, which would prompt him to get up to eat. Yesterday morning I found him sleeping (still breathing) in his day rest spot, not tucked away in rock where he always slept at night. He also didn't seem to have his mucus cocoon. Sadly when I returned from work yesterday, I found him dead in the same area.

Does this sound like a wrasse dying of old age? Or was something else amiss?

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for you wrasse lovers. Is it common for Halichoris to eat my cuc? I have 1 hermit and 1 snail left

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a follow-on question on the behavioral changes in an aging wrasse, which I've actually been meaning to ask for a while. Until last night I had a big boy P. mccoskeri, another genus I have read on here that has a relatively short lifespan. I got him in March 2016 as a young terminal (?) male. Given the rate at which my P. piscilineatus has grown since I got him at a much smaller and undeveloped size, I would guess the McCosker's was probably already 12 to 18 months old at the time.

In the past 6 months he has stopped flashing other fishes, something that he would incessantly do to anything that swam, only a year ago. While he still had a nice dark red/orange body, his lines and markings have faded quite a bit. For the past 3 months I would often find him "resting" on the substrate. He was still eating, but in the past month or so I would often had to show him I there with the food, which would prompt him to get up to eat. Yesterday morning I found him sleeping (still breathing) in his day rest spot, not tucked away in rock where he always slept at night. He also didn't seem to have his mucus cocoon. Sadly when I returned from work yesterday, I found him dead in the same area.

Does this sound like a wrasse dying of old age? Or was something else amiss?
That sounds like old age. If you've ever had a dog that got old, really any animal for that matter, you see a lack of energy and vibrancy.
I have a question for you wrasse lovers. Is it common for Halichoris to eat my cuc? I have 1 hermit and 1 snail left
Pretty normal. Some species in the genus are better than others.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick this guy up from? Looks like my old exquisite who passed away from old age. Never have been able to find another pacific type since.
I got him from Petco. In searching where he is from, JT told me that his color pattern is from Indonesia.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like old age. If you've ever had a dog that got old, really any animal for that matter, you see a lack of energy and vibrancy.

Thanks for the confirmation. It is reassuring to know that he reached the end of his expected lifespan naturally. (Well, except for the whole glass box on the other side of the world thing)

That is definitely my goal with every animal I keep.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II with an Olympus Zuiko 60mm Macro lens. It is a reasonable camera. Much more of a camera than I can use. I need to learn how to use it better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back