BlackLeopard2018082803.jpg
Is that one transitioning to a male?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the redder of the four is older and start to loose his/her white dorsal color. Both male and female are without the white color. There are minor differences between the sex including slight different color and pattern on the face. They are difficult to keep and not common. I am doing reading and researching. Will update on this if they live.
If they live, I will start a thread for them detailing my experiences. My search, only briefly so far, did not turn up any significant writing on just this species.

It appears that the information above is not quite correct. See pictures a few posts below.

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the redder of the four is older and start to loose his/her white dorsal color. Both male and female are without the white color. There are minor differences between the sex including slight different color and pattern on the face. They are difficult to keep and not common. I am doing reading and researching. Will update on this if they live.
If they live, I will start a thread for them detailing my experiences. My search, only briefly so far, did not turn up any significant writing on just this species.

Very nice collection you have there will try to catch up in a few months [emoji23][emoji1531]

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my search I came up with an article:
"A Tale of Throated Teeth" bu Lemon TeaYK.
Linked here:
https://reefs.com/magazine/macropharyngodon-tale-throated-teeth/

It is a well written, very detail write up on all the 11 species of Leopard wrasses. In it there are two picture of mature male and female M. negrosensis
I would be ecstatic if my fish turn out looking like below.

Female Picture by Lemon TeaYK
lemon22.jpg

Male Picture by Lemon TeaYK
lemon23.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my search I came up with an article:
"A Tale of Throated Teeth" bu Lemon TeaYK.
Linked here:
https://reefs.com/magazine/macropharyngodon-tale-throated-teeth/

It is a well written, very detail write up on all the 11 species of Leopard wrasses. In it there are two picture of mature male and female M. negrosensis
I would be ecstatic if my fish turn out looking like below.

Female Picture by Lemon TeaYK
lemon22.jpg

Male Picture by Lemon TeaYK
lemon23.jpg

Thank you for the link to the article. I'm giving it a quick read and I'll bookmark it for future reference. I'm a fairy wrasse addict, but just got my first M. meleagris a few weeks ago. Post #9260. She is already eating frozen and isn't shy at all at feeding time in my tank. Eventually, I would love to do a Macropharyngodon only tank. Those negrosensis of yours are beautiful.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Male Melanarus and a Christmas Wrasse.
I like the Male Vrolik’s, Male Leopard and the Adorned. They are hard to find.
I would recommend not mixing melanurus and vrolik, they are too closely related.

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any advice on dealing with an overly shy P. Lineopunctatus? This wrasse came in very healthy and was quite bold and personable in QT for the first week or so, but as soon as I started TTM, it started hiding all the time except to eat. I put him into my new tank and for nearly a week he was the only one in there, but was still hiding except to eat. I transferred my other fish in there thinking it would give him the confidence to come out, but no change. I thought my H Biocellatus might be harassing him so I took out the Biocellatus and flasher seemed to come out more for a few days and then went back to hiding.

Besides inverts here is only a pair of clowns and a watchman goby in there and none are picking on him. He eats just fine when there’s food, but otherwise is almost always in his spot in the rocks.

Edit: I forgot to mention he’s been in the main tank for nearly a month now.

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any advice on dealing with an overly shy P. Lineopunctatus? This wrasse came in very healthy and was quite bold and personable in QT for the first week or so, but as soon as I started TTM, it started hiding all the time except to eat. I put him into my new tank and for nearly a week he was the only one in there, but was still hiding except to eat. I transferred my other fish in there thinking it would give him the confidence to come out, but no change. I thought my H Biocellatus might be harassing him so I took out the Biocellatus and flasher seemed to come out more for a few days and then went back to hiding.

Besides inverts here is only a pair of clowns and a watchman goby in there and none are picking on him. He eats just fine when there’s food, but otherwise is almost always in his spot in the rocks.
Give him some time to settle. That's a lot of moving around, he may be afraid you're going to move him again soon.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience with a Radiant Wrasse?
Mine is a model citizen. Gets along with my other wrasses ( Labout, Cresent , Black Leopard ). When you are looking for one at your LFS make sure you look closely at its mouth. They damage their mouths during shipping

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a model citizen. Gets along with my other wrasses ( Labout, Cresent , Black Leopard ). When you are looking for one at your LFS make sure you look closely at its mouth. They damage their mouths during shipping
Thanks for that info.....I would love to have one....they look really similar to the yellow Wrasse....I have two of them....so I have been nervous my yellow like the Radiant. Although my yellow shows no agression to any other Wrasse.....

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find any info on this, so I'm asking here.

Does anyone know if magma wrasses (C. Shutmani) can be put together with Flame wrasses (C. Jordani) or would they fight? I'm just adding because I considered getting a magma wrasse (and I have a female flame), but both are equally expensive, so I'm trying to prevent an expensive mistake from happening.

Thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find any info on this, so I'm asking here.

Does anyone know if magma wrasses (C. Shutmani) can be put together with Flame wrasses (C. Jordani) or would they fight? I'm just adding because I considered getting a magma wrasse (and I have a female flame), but both are equally expensive, so I'm trying to prevent an expensive mistake from happening.

Thoughts?
They are in the same complex, so there is potential for issues, but they are both fairly well behaved. So if the tank is bigger than a 120g they should be ok.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36"w x 18"d x 16"t 45g tank, barebottom, and will eventually have only sps in it. The tank isn't stocked yet, the only thing I'm set on is a pair of clowns for my kids.

I know the lack of sand isn't ideal for some wrasses, what do the experts suggest? What other fishes would be a good fit with the clowns and wrasse?

Thank you!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36"w x 18"d x 16"t 45g tank, barebottom, and will eventually have only sps in it. The tank isn't stocked yet, the only thing I'm set on is a pair of clowns for the kids.

I know the lack of sand isn't ideal for some wrasses, what do the experts suggest? What other fishes would be a good fit with the clowns and wrasse?

Thank you!

In that small a tank, I would stick to flasher and possum wrasse. Maybe some of the smaller fairies.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it safe to mix flame( already in the tank) and lunatus?
planning to add pink margin later too. thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back