The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find any info on this, so I'm asking here.

Does anyone know if magma wrasses (C. Shutmani) can be put together with Flame wrasses (C. Jordani) or would they fight? I'm just adding because I considered getting a magma wrasse (and I have a female flame), but both are equally expensive, so I'm trying to prevent an expensive mistake from happening.

Thoughts?
I had them both in a 100g and they were fine together

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I currently have a Melanurus and a Chrysus wrasse in QT (no meds, just observation plus oversized UV) and while the Melanurus is becoming more and more active the Chrysus seems to be laying on the floor a lot... is this normal?

The Chrysus was at the LFS for over a month (I had reserved it until they could get a healthy Melanurus).

I do not have a box of sand in the QT. The aquarium is a 24 gallon AIO Innovative Marine Nuvo24.

The fish have been in QT for almost two weeks.

Many thanks and kind regards

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I currently have a Melanurus and a Chrysus wrasse in QT (no meds, just observation plus oversized UV) and while the Melanurus is becoming more and more active the Chrysus seems to be laying on the floor a lot... is this normal?

The Chrysus was at the LFS for over a month (I had reserved it until they could get a healthy Melanurus).

I do not have a box of sand in the QT. The aquarium is a 24 gallon AIO Innovative Marine Nuvo24.

The fish have been in QT for almost two weeks.

Many thanks and kind regards
He should not be laying down. Something may be affecting his gills, which is affecting how he can get o2, which affects his energy. Gills can be affected by flukes, ich, or marine velvet. Checking if its flukes can be done with fw dip.

Why didn't you provide sand?

Just observing wrasses isn't ideal because they often don't show symptoms, but can still be carriers of pathogens.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My previous experience with prophylactic treatment with Prazi and copper never went well. Never had issues with Prazi but have had 100% mortality with copper (Cupramine as I can’t get copper safe nor copper power in Europe).

I treat all my fish prophylactically but I was open to an exception for these guys.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My previous experience with prophylactic treatment with Prazi and copper never went well. Never had issues with Prazi but have had 100% mortality with copper (Cupramine as I can’t get copper safe nor copper power in Europe).

I treat all my fish prophylactically but I was open to an exception for these guys.
I use cupramine on my wrasses. Just take 2x's longer to bring up to therapeutic levels.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cupramine on my wrasses. Just take 2x's longer to bring up to therapeutic levels.

I take 4x longer [emoji4]. Typically raise 0,05 to 0,1 per day and it takes me some 2 weeks to get there. Still, my wrasse treatment history is not great... not sure if they arrive in poor conditions to begin with, but this time (and for the first time as I have been treating prophylactically all my fish for the past 4 years) I want to skip the meds, at least Cupramine.

Sad to report that the H. Chrysus is dead... [emoji20]

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of my 4 M. negrosensis only 2 still with me. After the first night, only 3 come out the next day. They were OK for a few days, then the third night, on was not able to find the sand to sleep in. She keep on trying to dig in the area where the tank is bare bottom. She was blown around all night and by the morning she was exhausted. She disappeared that day. There got to be something wrong with her because she seem to not able to recognize the area of the tank where there are sand. Lots of sand. The only area in the middle of the tank where the tank is bare is the one area she want to sleep in.
The two that still living are doing OK. Eating, but one is doing better than the other. Below is a picture of the two. They do keep near each other and not bother by other wrasse.
If one or both died, and if I want to add Leopard wrasse to my tank I will get larger ones. The problem with these guys is that they are too small. Only about 1.75 inches. To small to easily eat frozen mysis. When I feed the tank, it take them all day to just eat 1 mysis, sometime they cannot even swallow it. They are hunting all day among the rock. I have a large tank, but I do have a lot of wrasses and so natural life food is not that easy to come by in my tank. I think if they are 1 inch larger, they would be able to eat frozen much better.
BlackLeopard2018090601.jpg

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of my 4 M. negrosensis only 2 still with me. After the first night, only 3 come out the next day. They were OK for a few days, then the third night, on was not able to find the sand to sleep in. She keep on trying to dig in the area where the tank is bare bottom. She was blown around all night and by the morning she was exhausted. She disappeared that day. There got to be something wrong with her because she seem to not able to recognize the area of the tank where there are sand. Lots of sand. The only area in the middle of the tank where the tank is bare is the one area she want to sleep in.
The two that still living are doing OK. Eating, but one is doing better than the other. Below is a picture of the two. They do keep near each other and not bother by other wrasse.
If one or both died, and if I want to add Leopard wrasse to my tank I will get larger ones. The problem with these guys is that they are too small. Only about 1.75 inches. To small to easily eat frozen mysis. When I feed the tank, it take them all day to just eat 1 mysis, sometime they cannot even swallow it. They are hunting all day among the rock. I have a large tank, but I do have a lot of wrasses and so natural life food is not that easy to come by in my tank. I think if they are 1 inch larger, they would be able to eat frozen much better.

I find the smaller ones easier to care for. I have QT’d about 4 different types of leopards and always find the smaller leopards acclimate better to DTs because they often get over looked due to their size, are female so male leopards often ignore them, and go after smaller food particles which avoid eating confrontations.

On top of that, the small ones are easier to QT (prazi, copper, etc) and train to accept a wider variety of foods.

Nice pair by the way and hope they work out. Do you have an established male leopard already in the tank?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the smaller ones easier to care for. I have QT’d about 4 different types of leopards and always find the smaller leopards acclimate better to DTs because they often get over looked due to their size, are female so male leopards often ignore them, and go after smaller food particles which avoid eating confrontations.

On top of that, the small ones are easier to QT (prazi, copper, etc) and train to accept a wider variety of foods.

Nice pair by the way and hope they work out. Do you have an established male leopard already in the tank?
I have a male Potter Leopard wrasse

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does the bottom one in the picture have a cloudy eye or is that just the photo?

Have not tried a leopard myself but maybe in the future. Good luck with the two

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch @HairyGary looks like cloudy eyes. These are some of my favorite leopards I had them before but they don’t last long for me don’t know why. Would see them for a few months then out of no where they just disappear.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good catch @HairyGary looks like cloudy eyes. These are some of my favorite leopards I had them before but they don’t last long for me don’t know why. Would see them for a few months then out of no where they just disappear.
I'd like to give them a try in the future and especially the Black and/or Potters.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. He is great. The other one is the one that does not eat as well. It is a phone picture. I did not have ny camera out for it today.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is no problem with the L eye. I am home early today and got a shot at the L eye of that Leopard. As you can see, the eye is fine. Sorry for the blurry picture, but I need to go somewhere and just wanted the picture before he go to bed. He will be in the sand when I get home.
BlackLeopard2018090602.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back