The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL....just after I posted that my LFS called me and said they got a Earmuff Wrasse in! Now I was thinking.....how will he get along with my melanarus Wrasse? What about my Moyers Leopard? He is 149.00.....and I would hate to put him in and have world war 3 break out!

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.....how was he with your other Wrasses?
I had him with a small crescent tail fairy, large hooded fairy, as well as a pair of jawfish, Cinammon clownfish, and rainsford gobies (all added after him) and he was never a problem for me. This was in a 90g and then a 120g. Occasionally he would chase one of the other fish, sometimes other fish would chase him, but never any serious damage. I sold him and my jawfish and cleaner shrimp to a friend when I moved and he put them all in a qt tank. I think he was too territorial in the small tank because he killed the shrimp and other fish, even though he had lived peacefully with them previously. So now he is at the lfs.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! How big do they get? Do you have a picture of a picture of yours?

This 9 months ago
ear muff-tang (1 of 1).jpg

1 month ago
20180912_172545.jpg

JfZe77g

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Red Cigar Wrasse, Hologymnosus rhodonotus, in a 320 gal reef? The LFS have one for 30.00. He is about 4 inches or so, really beautiful color. I think they may become dull as the transition to female then male. I am not able to get much information on this species. Anybody know?

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Red Cigar Wrasse, Hologymnosus rhodonotus, in a 320 gal reef? The LFS have one for 30.00. He is about 4 inches or so, really beautiful color. I think they may become dull as the transition to female then male. I am not able to get much information on this species. Anybody know?
I just saw one the other day at my LFS! Was a beautiful fish....I am not sure about loosing color though....I am having him order a second Moyers Leopard to pair mine up. Otherwise I would have thought about picking him up. Was nice looking!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am thinking about getting my LFS to order me a second Moyers Leopard Wrasse.....what do you all think my chances are of pairing him up with my current Moyers? He is really a laid back fish....one of my favorites in my tank. Currently I have a pair of blue stars and a pair of Melegris Leopards....non were added at the same time. I have had my Moyers for about 9 months. Here is a pic of him...not as good as OrianN at taking pics... LOL!
45856f78658d61369429e0ba89aac991.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nice-paper-on-burrowing-wrasses.451329/#post-5103045

Interesting thread with a chart showing burrowing vs non-burrowing wrasse species.
I agree! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!!! By the way @leahfish I decided to pass on the Earmuff Wrasse. It is hard to pass him up.....but I really want to pair my Moyers up....so I am going that route. I am out of room otherwise I would go for both! LOL! That's the hardest lesson to learn in this hobby....when to know your limit and stick to it! [emoji16]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their colors fade a bit as they mature. They get pretty big, flip small rocks and corals, and eat motile inverts. But despite their size they are pretty peaceful.
So I am thinking about getting my LFS to order me a second Moyers Leopard Wrasse.....what do you all think my chances are of pairing him up with my current Moyers? He is really a laid back fish....one of my favorites in my tank. Currently I have a pair of blue stars and a pair of Melegris Leopards....non were added at the same time. I have had my Moyers for about 9 months. Here is a pic of him...not as good as OrianN at taking pics... LOL!
45856f78658d61369429e0ba89aac991.jpg
While leopards are more likely to work out as a harem, they still do not form pairs. Moyeri is also in the most aggressive complex of species, so adding a single moyeri is less likely to work out than adding a small group of females.

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just Reef 2 Reef so I’m pumped for that! But a quick question, I have a 29 gallon not a BC with a 1 clownfish and 1 firefish. I called the LFS today and they have a nice Yellow Choris wrasse there. I’ve always wanted one. I’ve heard mixed reviews for them being in this type of tank. What are your guys opinions for getting one in a 29 gallon?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just Reef 2 Reef so I’m pumped for that! But a quick question, I have a 29 gallon not a BC with a 1 clownfish and 1 firefish. I called the LFS today and they have a nice Yellow Choris wrasse there. I’ve always wanted one. I’ve heard mixed reviews for them being in this type of tank. What are your guys opinions for getting one in a 29 gallon?

Sorry to say but your tank is to small to keep him/her happy.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their colors fade a bit as they mature. They get pretty big, flip small rocks and corals, and eat motile inverts. But despite their size they are pretty peaceful.

While leopards are more likely to work out as a harem, they still do not form pairs. Moyeri is also in the most aggressive complex of species, so adding a single moyeri is less likely to work out than adding a small group of females.
Thanks for the info!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back