The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after 5 years my earmuff is still fairly shy so don't be too stressed about it :) They get more courageous as time goes on but she's definitely my second most shy fish, the first being a basslet that is notoriously cryptic lol (I see him like once a week if I look for him haha)
Thanks! That makes me feel better! I can't wait until he is out more! He is so beautiful. I wanted one for a long time, and my LFS had there eye out for more than a year, and then got one in for me! Out of curiosity, after 5 years how big is yours?

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's proabably still settling. I would try to feed when he comes out and then 10 minutes later if he's still out feed a little more... and repeat. Watch carefully for any aggression.
Thanks you! Good idea about feeding! I know about when he pops out of the sand and sit there and watch for agression...non of my fish pay any attention to him! I was happy about that! I can't wait until he is out more! He is a beautiful fish!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help ease my mind! LOL! Okay so a little over a week ago I brought home a Earmuff Wrasse. My LFS that I get all my Leopards from ordered me one. He was in their coral tank several days and eatting Mysis when I took him home. Okay so I did a 1 hr drip acclimation and put him in my DT....he hit the sand after a few min. No agression from my 6 leopards....

Now each day he pops out of the sand, swims around for a few min and then hots the sand. No agression, he looks good, and when I catch him out I put Mysis in and he eats. But each day he is only out about 10 to 15 min. It is day 9. Will he come out more and more... should I be worried...?

I get how leopards work, but does Halichoeres work the same way? Thanks guys! Oh and @4FordFamily I will get you a pic as soon as he stays out longer! LOL!
If it comes out regularly and eats, even if briefly, you’ll probably be fine! :)

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Here's my Melanarus. Definitely one of my favorite fish I've ever kept. Not shy. Enthusiastic eater. Gets along with everything she's been housed with. Such a great fish!
FPKjZSF.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help ease my mind! LOL! Okay so a little over a week ago I brought home a Earmuff Wrasse. My LFS that I get all my Leopards from ordered me one. He was in their coral tank several days and eatting Mysis when I took him home. Okay so I did a 1 hr drip acclimation and put him in my DT....he hit the sand after a few min. No agression from my 6 leopards....

Now each day he pops out of the sand, swims around for a few min and then hots the sand. No agression, he looks good, and when I catch him out I put Mysis in and he eats. But each day he is only out about 10 to 15 min. It is day 9. Will he come out more and more... should I be worried...?

I get how leopards work, but does Halichoeres work the same way? Thanks guys! Oh and @4FordFamily I will get you a pic as soon as he stays out longer! LOL!

I agree, he will be fine. Mine is very passive(doesn't bother anything) but no one messes with him. Might be because he's pushing 6" now.

This was a year and a half ago
Ear Muff 7 (1 of 1).jpg

And 9 months ago. That's a pretty good sized purple tang
ear muff-tang (1 of 1).jpg

Will W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up another wrasse to add my collection. Was at a local fish store and they had a Cirrhilabrus lunatus(crescent wrasse) that looked very healthy. Was eating frozen in the store! Added it tonight with the lights off so we will see how it mixes with my ornate female and timor wrasse.

From Creative Aquariums?

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, he will be fine. Mine is very passive(doesn't bother anything) but no one messes with him. Might be because he's pushing 6" now.

Ear Muff 7 (1 of 1).jpg

Beautiful picture! Yea I took everybody's advice, and have Mysis thawed out and as soon as he pops out of the sand I dump it in and he eats. He the swims around a bit and goes back into the sand. I do have a active tank with all these Wrasses, so he is probably getting used to them all buzzing around. At least there is no agression from anyone! I was happy about that!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful picture! Yea I took everybody's advice, and have Mysis thawed out and as soon as he pops out of the sand I dump it in and he eats. He the swims around a bit and goes back into the sand. I do have a active tank with all these Wrasses, so he is probably getting used to them all buzzing around. At least there is no agression from anyone! I was happy about that!

Congrats I hope the good behavior continues

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ear Muff 7 (1 of 1).jpg

Nice! Great to see a flame wrasse, too! Not so many these days

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a pintail fairy pick on a McCosker flasher? I have a McCosker. He had velvet - but that was months ago. I treated with freshwater bath, 75 minute reef rally. Then straight to new tank. 30 days copper. 3 weeks observation. Made it to main tank - been there for 4 months.

Sunday I added a blonde naso, powder blue, niger trigger (baby), pintail fairy.

All of the sudden the McCosker has a fin that has a white spot and a couple white spots on his head. He looks like he could have been beat up a bit. Maybe scales raised? His tail is a little frayed as well. Or am I looking at Velvet? If velvet, I have NO IDEA how in HEAVENS name it would have gotten in there.

All fish in that tank have been through a 3 week observation (this last most recent batch with no signs of disease). Treated for 30 days with copper, then observed for an additional 2 weeks. Just wanting to know if you have any advice here of who would pick on a McCosker. I can't do anything now but wait. And watch. But I am just sick that I have done everything preventative and could have a problem. I am praying it is just a fight.

(not a good video - but I tried - he is FAST!!!)

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my last diamondtail made it to the display but he was pooping white strings so internal parasites of some sort. He eats like a pig but disappear after 2.5 weeks bummer.

But I have hopes that that this new pairs one will make it after quarantine.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a pintail fairy pick on a McCosker flasher? I have a McCosker. He had velvet - but that was months ago. I treated with freshwater bath, 75 minute reef rally. Then straight to new tank. 30 days copper. 3 weeks observation. Made it to main tank - been there for 4 months.

All of the sudden the McCosker has a fin that has a white spot and a couple white spots on his head. He looks like he could have been beat up a bit. Maybe scales raised? His tail is a little frayed as well. Or am I looking at Velvet? If velvet, I have NO IDEA how in HEAVENS name it would have gotten in there.

All fish in that tank have been through a 3 week observation (this last most recent batch with no signs of disease). Treated for 30 days with copper, then observed for an additional 2 weeks. Just wanting to know if you have any advice here of who would pick on a McCosker. I can't do anything now but wait. And watch. But I am just sick that I have done everything preventative and could have a problem. I am praying it is just a fight.

Wow.....nice video and specimens! It is hard for me to tell 100%, but it looks like it could be a injury. You have a great QT method you have implemented, so hopefully something didn't slip through. I would watch for harrassment, and keep a eye on a secondary bacterial infection in case it is just a injury. I am hoping it is a simple injury instead of something else, and the little guy makes a full recovery for you!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my last diamondtail made it to the display but he was pooping white strings so internal parasites of some sort. He eats like a pig but disappear after 2.5 weeks bummer.

But I have hopes that that this new pairs one will make it after quarantine.

Nice specimens! I hope those do well for you!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the vid it kind of look like he is swimming away from the pintail every time he sees him so I’m thinking they may of had a fight and he got injured or he got injured swimming away from the pintail.

Did you use an acc box when you added the pintail ?

Musicalwayz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ear Muff 7 (1 of 1).jpg

Hi do you know where I could find a healthy Hawaiian flame wrasse like yours? I’d prefer him or her small? Really appreciate it =)

MarcoVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question to all: do flasher wrasses flash at other flasher wrasse other than its own species? Say a solo carpenter vs a group of mcosker?

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the vid it kind of look like he is swimming away from the pintail every time he sees him so I’m thinking they may of had a fight and he got injured or he got injured swimming away from the pintail.

Did you use an acc box when you added the pintail ?

No. I didn’t use acc box. I may have to put one in or try a mirror!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back