The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say but your tank is to small to keep him/her happy.
Thanks, I won’t be getting that wrasse then I was on the borderline because there peaceful but then get 5 inches and that would be a problem. I’ve kept six lines in the past and they have done really well. I’ve heard Flasher and Fairy wrasses get 3 inches but I’m guessing there to active for a 30 gal?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I won’t be getting that wrasse then I was on the borderline because there peaceful but then get 5 inches and that would be a problem. I’ve kept six lines in the past and they have done really well. I’ve heard Flasher and Fairy wrasses get 3 inches but I’m guessing there to active for a 30 gal?
Yes, too active for that size. Wetmorella and pink streak wrasses are great options.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share a few pics.

Eight Line Flasher
44463102581_678c900bc0_c.jpg

Isosceles Pintail Fairy
43553545725_58dab1bd14_c.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! Any pro tips on acclimating with another wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)? I usually introduce after the lights are out and try to put him in an opposite corner.
That should work, or use a social acclimation box.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay everybody! I decided to go ahead and get the Earmuff Wrasse today. I was on the fence, but have wanted one for the longest time. My LFS came through....so here I am. Was eatting Mysis at the store, I had them hold him for a week. . Idrip acclimated the guy and put him in, no agression from my Leopards or Melanarus. He swam around for a bit checking stuff out. Then he hit the sand. Are these guys like leopards as far as hitting the sand and coming out when ready?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever had a flasher wrasse hassle a fairy? I have a pretty large yellow fin flasher and he has always flashed at my transitioning flame wrasse. Lately though he has been chasing him some. No damage, the flame eats well and seems nonplussed by the attention. Just never had a flasher be dominant over any fairy before.

The really weird thing is that he completely ignores a much smaller blue flasher.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever had a flasher wrasse hassle a fairy? I have a pretty large yellow fin flasher and he has always flashed at my transitioning flame wrasse. Lately though he has been chasing him some. No damage, the flame eats well and seems nonplussed by the attention. Just never had a flasher be dominant over any fairy before.

The really weird thing is that he completely ignores a much smaller blue flasher.

Never had that problem plus my fairy’s are larger than my flashers

Nwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up another wrasse to add my collection. Was at a local fish store and they had a Cirrhilabrus lunatus(crescent wrasse) that looked very healthy. Was eating frozen in the store! Added it tonight with the lights off so we will see how it mixes with my ornate female and timor wrasse.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up another wrasse to add my collection. Was at a local fish store and they had a Cirrhilabrus lunatus(crescent wrasse) that looked very healthy. Was eating frozen in the store! Added it tonight with the lights off so we will see how it mixes with my ornate female and timor wrasse.
Cool! Can't wait to see a pic! [emoji4]

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody see this beauty on Divers Den?
wrasse.jpg

Scrolled down and there was this one! They have had some great ones lately.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody see this beauty on Divers Den?
wrasse.jpg

Scrolled down and there was this one! They have had some great ones lately.
Yeah, but Pseudocheilinus species limit future wrasse additions.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help ease my mind! LOL! Okay so a little over a week ago I brought home a Earmuff Wrasse. My LFS that I get all my Leopards from ordered me one. He was in their coral tank several days and eatting Mysis when I took him home. Okay so I did a 1 hr drip acclimation and put him in my DT....he hit the sand after a few min. No agression from my 6 leopards....

Now each day he pops out of the sand, swims around for a few min and then hots the sand. No agression, he looks good, and when I catch him out I put Mysis in and he eats. But each day he is only out about 10 to 15 min. It is day 9. Will he come out more and more... should I be worried...?

I get how leopards work, but does Halichoeres work the same way? Thanks guys! Oh and @4FordFamily I will get you a pic as soon as he stays out longer! LOL!

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help ease my mind! LOL! Okay so a little over a week ago I brought home a Earmuff Wrasse. My LFS that I get all my Leopards from ordered me one. He was in their coral tank several days and eatting Mysis when I took him home. Okay so I did a 1 hr drip acclimation and put him in my DT....he hit the sand after a few min. No agression from my 6 leopards....

Now each day he pops out of the sand, swims around for a few min and then hots the sand. No agression, he looks good, and when I catch him out I put Mysis in and he eats. But each day he is only out about 10 to 15 min. It is day 9. Will he come out more and more... should I be worried...?

I get how leopards work, but does Halichoeres work the same way? Thanks guys! Oh and @4FordFamily I will get you a pic as soon as he stays out longer! LOL!
He's proabably still settling. I would try to feed when he comes out and then 10 minutes later if he's still out feed a little more... and repeat. Watch carefully for any aggression.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even after 5 years my earmuff is still fairly shy so don't be too stressed about it :) They get more courageous as time goes on but she's definitely my second most shy fish, the first being a basslet that is notoriously cryptic lol (I see him like once a week if I look for him haha)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back